Aluminium Stock Trailer ?

Help Support CattleToday:

Stocker Steve

Reaction score
Looking at used aluminum stock trailers vs. a new one. Used regularly for about 5 years old, no broken welds, no spare tire, and asking 80% of new price which seems a little steep. What % of new would be a typical used aluminum trailer price range?

They sold an '08 Featherlight 20' aluminum stock here local a few weeks ago, in 90% condition for a little over $14k. I figure you could have bought a new one for that. To me, it was worth 10k. Folks never cease to amaze me at an auction.

Looks to me like trailers are holding their value real well, aluminum or not. Folks are pretty proud of them seems like. I'm looking, but not in any hurry, so still looking.

Four years ago I bought a new 20 foot Wilson aluminum. I shopped the used ones for a while. There wasn't much difference in price between new and used. I saw 15 year old used ones bring about $3,000 less than new. That made my decision easy.

I had the same experience a few years ago. Used were either almost new price or so beat to hell I wouldn't have them. Finally found one in just the right state of beating at just the right price and bought it. Looked for quite a while though, and really haven't come across one since that I'd have bought used.

Dave":3hguaenb said:
Four years ago I bought a new 20 foot Wilson aluminum. I shopped the used ones for a while. There wasn't much difference in price between new and used. I saw 15 year old used ones bring about $3,000 less than new. That made my decision easy.

How do you like the Wilson? I've been eyeballing them for when my Eby gets replaced, look like nice trailers.

Too narrow for my liking. Only good thing would be the wheels should be outside the body... But thats not enough of a positive to lose that much space inside.. Tight for animals to get turned to come out.

7 or 7.5 is great. 8 is a bit much at times.

cfpinz":1u69i2xj said:
Dave":1u69i2xj said:

How do you like the Wilson? I've been eyeballing them for when my Eby gets replaced, look like nice trailers.

I like it a lot. It pulls like a dream. Pulling it empty I am continually looking back to see if it is still there. Fuzzy math and memory every year I pull 24 short trips (20 miles or less) with it stacked full. 3 or 4 trips each year over the hill to Toppenish (180 miles each way). Multiple trips to the sale yard for light loads. And I have had zero maintenance cost.

We have had our 24 ft Alum. Feather lite since 1998 only cost has been brakes and tires. About every five years it gets a acid wash and then it looks brand new. They are very proud of them but ours has sure been worth the money.

gizmom

Get a Wilson if your going aluminum. At least 7' wide. Resale is terrible on 6' trailers for good reason.

But I have seen so many aluminum rear doors shake to pieces that I will never go for one. Gravel roads and rocky pastures are no good for them. Steel forever.

Aaron":20d43ewm said:
Get a Wilson if your going aluminum. At least 7' wide. Resale is terrible on 6' trailers for good reason.

But I have seen so many aluminum rear doors shake to pieces that I will never go for one. Gravel roads and rocky pastures are no good for them. Steel forever.

I don't believe I would go with an aluminum stock trailer either. One reason is that I can weld on a steel trailer if I need to.

My sil is talking about getting one. Combination stock/double deck hog setup in a Wilson.

We bought a new Featherlite in 2013. Its a 20' G/N with aluminum floor, 7k axles etc. It was 13k and about 3k over a new steel trailer. We like it and no complaints so far

Road salt is a major concern with steel trailers in the upper mid west. If you get one, you can expect to need a ton of welding and rebuilding done on the bottom 18 inches or so. Even if they are well cared for, the salt will eat up any money you are thinking you are saving by going with a steel trailer.

That said, shop carefully and consider use/ wear that you plan to inflict. For lighter use, almost any brand will do. For heavier use, I prefer a 4 Star. The featherlights we've used just don't stand up to the beating as well. For someone hauling every day, a Wilson is a good bet. The major drawback I've found with Wilsons, is that the resale value (at least up here) sucks. This is probably because they are used by tons of livestock haulers, and most people assume the used ones for sale are beat to h*ll.

Steve, we have had a 4 Star that actually appreciated in value in the 8 years we owned it. Since we are looking at getting a new trailer soon, I feel your pain on the price!!!

I wish I had bit the bullet years ago, and bought a 24' aluminum trailer. Seemed high then, but by now it would have cost less.

Wall do realize aluminum is what airplanes are built with? You know the kind of abuse they take and your worried about a stock trailer.
If it comes apart it's a pos. Get a good one and it will be there after the steel has come apart.
Now that being said I'm pulling a steel gooseneck brand and will keep doing so because this one was my granddaddys. I've prol spent more updating it than I could have bought a used aluminum for.
Using a buddy's aluminum now cause it's enclosed better for cold weather and love it. It's a 22' where mine is a 20' and a little wider. 1,500lbs lighter too. I weighed today. Pulls like it's not even there.

I'm not one to bash brands, but some trailers that were good brands a few years ago made out of paper mache now. Buyer beware on a few of them.

Back in the day aluminum was a third the weight of steel, and cost a third more per pound. And anything you build out of steel, you can build it twice as fast out of aluminum.

The dealer I bought mine from is in Eastern Oregon. The cowboys and rancher in that country drag trailers down miles and miles of two track trails out through the sage brush and rocks. He said the only aluminum trailers that hold up to the abuse are Wilsons. In my country steel trailers have to be parked inside or they rust away so the vast majority of trailers are aluminum.

Latest posts