alternator

Help Support CattleToday:

Carlos D.

Reaction score
I put an alernator on my old IH 660 I put battery wire direct to the battery -where does the other wire go --Its a delco remy-there are 2 posts for a wire on the alternator one says B the other says F
thanks carl

Carlos D.":26qui2uu said:
I put an alernator on my old IH 660 I put battery wire direct to the battery -where does the other wire go --Its a delco remy-there are 2 posts for a wire on the alternator one says B the other says F
thanks carl
That usually is wired to the switch to provide the field with 12v to activate the alternator. It must be on a switch or the battery will go dead if the field is left energized with the engine not running.......This is known as a 2 wire alternator. The voltage regulator is inside the alternator. :shock:

Carlos D.":3sl3wvoy said:
so if I come from the switch, with a wire; which clip do I put that wire on???? the one marked B or F??
thanks
carl
The one marked "F".

I may be wromg but usually you have a wire to an alternator light too

This must be connected to a pilot light and some current must pass through this to excite the field coils , otherwise it does not get started charging.

Its usually marked "D" for diode because the current will only flow one way usually from positive through the lamp ,through the diode to ground(negative)

The "B"connection is always just into the main Positive line back to the Battery . The "F" denotes field and pehaps it just needs current supplied and is regulated by the device in the back of the regulator.

Latest posts