Alternator Ford Ranger

Help Support CattleToday:

dun

Reaction score
Anyone ever replace the alternator on a 2000 Ranger with the small V6. The more I look at it the harder it is for me to figure out what bolts need to come out to remove the thing.

I have done a lot of Ford alternators but never on a 2000 Ranger. If it is like most it will have a big honkering cast bracket. There should a long bolt that goes all the way through this from front to back. There will also be a short on towards the top and in the front. The long and short have to come out. The alternator gets removed from the bracket. The bracket will stay in place.

If it is the other style there are three bolts holding the alternator in place. Loosen these and slip the altenator out from under the belt. I find this easier than letting the tension off of the belt saves the pain of setting it back up. Install in the reverse of this.

Make sure you remove the battery cable. It is possible to blow up your ECU if you spark the cables when removing them from the alternator.

From looking at it it seems like it has 2 large bolts in the top that fasten it to a bracket and a huge bracket that's got 2 more large bolts in it. I was wondering if just pulling the 2 top bolts ewould work and not screw around with the belt adjustment.

Never worked on a 2000 Ranger but if it's anything like my trucks once you take off the serpentine belt there's only two bolts that go thru the alternator to hold it to the bracket. But if I had your money I'd just take it to the Ford place and have a new engine put in.

cfpinz

cfpinz":aa2hq9k6 said:
Never worked on a 2000 Ranger but if it's anything like my trucks once you take off the serpentine belt there's only two bolts that go thru the alternator to hold it to the bracket. But if I had your money I'd just take it to the Ford place and have a new engine put in.

cfpinz

Engine might be cheaper. I was quoted 300 bucks for the alternator replacment. What ever happened to the days when you could buy the diode set and change them yourself?

crawl up under it, lots of vehicles now days it is easier to remove from under neath than from the top side, may be it has to come out that way

flaboy?":32v0ynii said:
Dun, did you fix this yet or do we have to cfpinz out? :lol:

Had a local alternator shop rebuld the old one. 100 bucks and that included taking it out and putting it back in. Turns out the commutator was warn about 1/4 inch deep and one brush had completley disappeared.
Works fine now!

dun":1jlytu0n said:
flaboy?":1jlytu0n said:
Dun, did you fix this yet or do we have to cfpinz out? :lol:

Had a local alternator shop rebuld the old one. 100 bucks and that included taking it out and putting it back in. Turns out the commutator was warn about 1/4 inch deep and one brush had completley disappeared.
Works fine now!

Good deal. ;-)

Latest posts