Alternative to palpating

Help Support CattleToday:

Earl Thigpen

Reaction score
Has anyone tried the SurBred method of determining if a cow is bred or open? I've read that using this method (BioPRYN) is a lot easier, quicker and cheaper than palpation and it's safer for the cow.

I'd be interested in hearing pro's and con's and also maybe where the "kits" can be obtained. I have NOT checked with my local vet.

Thanks,

Earl, seems I've heard this system discussed in previous posts and some have had good luck with it. Palpation still works for me as it's free. For others this new system might be THE way to go.

Earl,

We've used BioPRYN and it worked well. The first time we used it, we got the results back and they showed one of our cows open (out of 15 or 16 tested in that group). We really thought that cow was bred, but we turned her back with the bull (as the bull had only been with the herd for 35 days). The rest of the group calved out and she followed them by approximately 37 days.

The results were accurate and the test was easy. The tail vein was easier on some cows than others, but it is a quick and easy way to tell at approx. 35 days.

Andy

We've used the BioPRYN test 8-10 times with 100% accuracy.

As someone else mentioned, it's easier to pull the blood on some cattle than others. I've been able to fill the tube in 5-6 seconds on one cow, but on another it might take 45-60 seconds.

I always get the results via email. It actually saves a few days waiting.

Thanks for the replies.

TexasB, for me palpation just wouldn't work. I don't know how to do it nor what things feel like so I couldn't identify the uterus from a turd. And hauling the animals to the vet for palpation doesn't seem to be economical either. I envy your ability to do this test yourself and maybe I could learn how but right now the alternative seems like a good compromise and I just wanted to see if anyone had anything negative to say about the process.

Testing blood samples, on the surface, sounds like a good way to determine if a cow is pregnant or not. It seems to be quick (3 to 5 days), cheap (<$3.00/sample), accurate (>95%) and safe (little stress on the momma).

Thanks again for the feedback.

One thing about the blood test, it will not tell you how far along a cow is. It is only accurate 30+ days after breeding. I think they say it is 95% accurate then.

Great product!

Farmgirl

Earl Thigpen":mpw9zerc said:
Thanks for the replies.

TexasB, for me palpation just wouldn't work. I don't know how to do it nor what things feel like so I couldn't identify the uterus from a turd. And hauling the animals to the vet for palpation doesn't seem to be economical either. I envy your ability to do this test yourself and maybe I could learn how but right now the alternative seems like a good compromise and I just wanted to see if anyone had anything negative to say about the process.

Testing blood samples, on the surface, sounds like a good way to determine if a cow is pregnant or not. It seems to be quick (3 to 5 days), cheap (<$3.00/sample), accurate (>95%) and safe (little stress on the momma).

Thanks again for the feedback.

Best of luck Earl. Sounds like this system would be money well spent for you.....When I first started palpating I mostly found "turds"....even called some "calves". :lol: Just takes time and lots of regular practice.

Tailbleeding w/o a squeeze chute is tough. We tried it and gave up after several failed attempts. We called our AI guy to palpate....

BioPRYN checks them at 30 days or above. SurBred checks at 18 days. Same principle for both. I'd feel comfortable with the first, not with the second. Too many cows have early embryonic death between 21 and 28 days for me to be comfortable calling a cow bred based on a blood test at 18 days.

TexasBred":gj0k3pmu said:
Earl, seems I've heard this system discussed in previous posts and some have had good luck with it. Palpation still works for me as it's free. For others this new system might be THE way to go.

I would agree! But if you don't have any experience at palpation ( I don't), BioPRYN seems like the way to go and it seems fairly easy. I'd like to try it.

Here's a previous CT article on the subject:

http://cattletoday.com/archive/2007/Oct ... 1220.shtml

funny farmer":267u777h said:
With everything else they've got out there why can't they come up with a test like humans use. Just run around out in the pasture and wait for a cow to take a leak and rub the tester in the puddle. Within a couple minutes two lines yes one line no. :)
Someone did a test of the human type to see if they worked on cows. They didn;t. But the running aorund trying to catch the cow peeing was amajor challenge

dun":166zwbfq said:
funny farmer":166zwbfq said:
With everything else they've got out there why can't they come up with a test like humans use. Just run around out in the pasture and wait for a cow to take a leak and rub the tester in the puddle. Within a couple minutes two lines yes one line no. :)
Someone did a test of the human type to see if they worked on cows. They didn;t. But the running aorund trying to catch the cow peeing was amajor challenge
Dun all you got to do is load them in the trailer :lol:

Angus Cowman":3sofhdq0 said:
dun":3sofhdq0 said:
funny farmer":3sofhdq0 said:
Dun all you got to do is load them in the trailer :lol:
aint that the thruth... and if you really want too insure they will..wash it out the day before

Latest posts