Alternative to "Hot Shot" Stick

Help Support CattleToday:

Running Arrow Bill

Reaction score
One trick I've found that works for motivating our Longhorns to move (on the rare occasion they are stubborn) is to use a hand pump sprayer with water (or with fly control insecticide) to spray on them. Cattle, like cats, seem to dislike being sprayed with water...maybe it "tickles" them or they think it is more flies getting on them.

Has worked everytime for us!

With water spray, they don't jump or bolt---just hurry away from the water spray...lol.

Thanks, sounds good to me, will try it next time. Too bad I didn't know of this yesterday. :lol:

Glad mine don't mind, cause I use one to spray for flies when ever they are at the feed trough :)

I was thinking pretty much the same thing. On a hot day if I sprayed them they'ld run all over me trying to get in the spray

dun

rbell":1w6s9ypy said:
Glad mine don't mind, cause I use one to spray for flies when ever they are at the feed trough :)

Running Arrow Bill
I pretty much have the same thoughts as rbell and Dun.
Question I have. Are you hitting the cattle with a sharp stream; or a spray as to cover the body. Maybe the Longhorns are a little more nervous than some other cattle and more skittish.

My cows would just stand there like "what is that moron doing, and what was that?" It would be a lot easier just climbing in with a sorting stick and tap in on the ground. They move because they think that they are gunna get hit and they just do it at a quicker pace than before. Works good for us. Young calves are a different story. We always swear we're gunna get some shin guard for when we are pushing them up and ally and we just have to get big when trying to make them go somewhere without mom. I won't even touch our boughten calves. They are the reason we've had to or are going to upgrade our facilities!

la4angus":wu3ohp0w said:
Running Arrow Bill
I pretty much have the same thoughts as rbell and Dun.
Question I have. Are you hitting the cattle with a sharp stream; or a spray as to cover the body. Maybe the Longhorns are a little more nervous than some other cattle and more skittish.

I've used both streams. If one doesn't work, change the stream. Some of our cattle don't mind the water, however. Just depends on what mood they're in at the time. I have also sprayed them for flies when they are eating from trough or eating cubes--they're jump around some, play musical chairs, etc., eventually can get them sprayed all over. Also spray them when they're in our Medina Hinge Squeeze device being worked.

Again, each animal has own personality and behavior. Some will move when you point a stick at them; others need a light tap; still others will move when you call their name and point the direction you want them to go.

Suppose one could try a "Water Pistol" too...

Latest posts