alternative feeds

Help Support CattleToday:

A

Anonymous

We have traditionally fed a mixture of corn and supplement, but after a couple poor corn years and having to buy much more than we could produce, we are considering either corn gluten or dry distillers grain. What are some advantages and disadvantages of both.

We still plan on feeding it with corn.

[email protected]

In this area there is very little dry distillers grain fed, they feed a good deal of the wet stuff though. Seems like the weaned calves can't eat enough of the stuff to really do very well. We do feed a good deal of corn gluten pellets. The only problem is that some animals won't eat it very well. Seems like a palatability problem with some, others will kill to get the stuff. We have several cows that won't touch anyting that has more then 50% corn gluten. One other thing about CG is that it can be used as an organic herbicide. dun

> We have traditionally fed a
> mixture of corn and supplement,
> but after a couple poor corn years
> and having to buy much more than
> we could produce, we are
> considering either corn gluten or
> dry distillers grain. What are
> some advantages and disadvantages
> of both.

> We still plan on feeding it with
> corn.

We background 500 head of calves a year on DDGs and supplement cows through the winter on them. Some of our cows like them so much they eat them so fast they puke it up, let it dry and eat it again. It's a sight to see.

[email protected]

> We background 500 head of calves a
> year on DDGs and supplement cows
> through the winter on them. Some
> of our cows like them so much they
> eat them so fast they puke it up,
> let it dry and eat it again. It's
> a sight to see. Hi What are DDGs and do they cost.

[email protected]

Dried Distillers Grain... They are the biproducts of making ethenol from corn and milo. Last time we got a couple semi's I think it was around 85 a ton but I'm not sure on that...

[email protected]

> We background 500 head of calves a
> year on DDGs and supplement cows
> through the winter on them. Some
> of our cows like them so much they
> eat them so fast they puke it up,
> let it dry and eat it again. It's
> a sight to see.

I didn't know cows could puke. I thought they were like horses and wern't able to.

[email protected]

Latest posts