Alternative feed supplement

Help Support CattleToday:

A

Anonymous

Is anyone here feeding the glycerin byproduct from bio diesel production? Apparently it is high in fat, protein and a natural sweetener. There are a few studies where cattle producers are feeding it as a supplement, but I havent talked to anyone that was actually doing it.
Anyone hear anything like this?

Need to be careful of the contaminate levels
I think NC State is doing some research with it

I also think the "value" in it is short term
they have lots of "other uses" where they would be paid for their excess product coming down the line fast.

I decided it wasn't worth the investment needed to handle it.

My main concern would be the residual methanol and caustic left in the glycerin. I know I wouldnt feed it myself, but just wanted to see if anyone had actually done it.

Last fqall our marketing group did a test with the MO corn growers using distillers, these fall we're doing a test with The Missouri Soybean Association using crude glycerol.
Last fall the cost of gain was just about nothing because the product was provided free, I hope it is this fall

crude glycerol with the methanol still in it? Please keep me informed of the progress of the testing...Im curious what the results will be.
Will there be any examination of the internal organs when its all done, or is it just a gain/cost analysis?

one more question, is the glycerol going ot be from used oil or virgin pressed soybean oil. If its used, and any meats are cooked in it, there would also be the concern of any prions being transferred to the cattle eating the glycerol

One of the local feed companies pulls glycerin from the local ethanol plant and makes liquid feeds from the stuff. I'm actually using liquid feed with glycerin added as an energy supplement. I've been using it for a year now and haven't had any problems. I wouldn't think a feed company would be using it if there were a chance it would be unsafe.

novaman,
have you had a look see at any of the livers on the cattle you have fed the glycerine too? Thats probably the best organ to look at to determine the health and effects of any feed supplement. I look at every liver from animals I send to slaughter. Ethanol is alot easier on the liver than the methanol used in biodiesel production. Sure would be good to talk to someone feeding out gly from bio production. I know you can distill out the excess methanol, and neutralize the caustic in the gly, but still have my doubts. I have unlimited glycerin that is available to me, if I find that it is 100% safe and effective. I market my steers as natural, so I have to keep that concern on my mind as well.

hooknline":31jmq6hj said:
novaman,
have you had a look see at any of the livers on the cattle you have fed the glycerine too? Thats probably the best organ to look at to determine the health and effects of any feed supplement. I look at every liver from animals I send to slaughter. Ethanol is alot easier on the liver than the methanol used in biodiesel production. Sure would be good to talk to someone feeding out gly from bio production. I know you can distill out the excess methanol, and neutralize the caustic in the gly, but still have my doubts. I have unlimited glycerin that is available to me, if I find that it is 100% safe and effective. I market my steers as natural, so I have to keep that concern on my mind as well.
No, I haven't seen the livers on any animals. It is fed to my dairy cows so don't really have many going for slaughter. I agree that biodiesel production would likely have differences in the final glycerin product over ethanol production. I have no idea if the company I buy from does testing and/or treatment of some kind to get the final feed product to a guaranteed level.

they say the ethanol byproducts is just disstilled grain lftover.like the maltage from the breweries.so youd think its safe for livestock.

There are some research papers that you can find by doing a search that lists acceptable levels for contaminates and water(too much messes up flow in winter)
Each batch has to be tested- contaminates can vary wildly.

There are lost of uses for cleaned up glycerin- but the process is costly(for now) and thats why it is available to us for now . And they are looking for products that can be made with the raw product so they can get paid for it- and if ethanol keeps going down hill there will not be an over supply of it.

As far as selling natural beef-- Using something like Glycerin defeats the whole idea of natural. If I paid for natural and found out I would be #####.

Howdyjabo":3vw53nnt said:
As far as selling natural beef-- Using something like Glycerin defeats the whole idea of natural. If I paid for natural and found out I would be #####.

Well said. Thats why I have the hangup about it. If I wont eat it, I wont sell it.
The reason for my posting the original question is because I know alot of people looking for ways to dispose of their glycerin after removing 90-95% of the methanol thru distillation. If there was a way to dispose of it, and put it to good use( for some people) I figured I could put the 2 groups together. For me, all the methanol and all of the caustic would have to be removed to even think about feeding it out. But that is cost prohibitive

i know of a man who feeds a corn condensed soluables that he gets from an ethynol plant. it is a yellow syrup. it is low in protein and fat, but he says it has lots of starch in it and he likes it.

anyone else heard of this?

jt

jt":3ay0170h said:
i know of a man who feeds a corn condensed soluables that he gets from an ethynol plant. it is a yellow syrup. it is low in protein and fat, but he says it has lots of starch in it and he likes it.

anyone else heard of this?

jt
At my local ethanol plant they blend the solubles back into the distillers grains. I would doubt it is high in starch because starch is what is converted into alcohol. I doubt they would be shipping starch out in any large quantities.

sounds like it might not be that good of a supplement or feed then. it is only about 5% protein and fat if i remember correctly. he says his cows love it though. it would stand to reason that it might not be so good, it is cheap. only 30 something dollars a ton.

i was just curious if anyone else had heard of this. i hadnt until he came along with it.

jt

Local ethanol plant offers 'syrup', with the following composition:
Corn Condensed Distillers Solubles: $42.00/ton
Moisture - min. 63%
Crude Protein - 7.0%
Crude Fiber - 1.0%
Crude Fat - 6.5%

Have not fed the 'syrup', as we feed the modified + solubles(though most days, when the farm manager goes for a load, they give her the dry DDG product if they have any on hand.). But, a couple of the guys who work with me fed some last year - just ran it out into empty protein tubs and let it set up; cows really liked it.

Lucky_P":vpw8yrke said:
Local ethanol plant offers 'syrup', with the following composition:
Corn Condensed Distillers Solubles: $42.00/ton
Moisture - min. 63%
Crude Protein - 7.0%
Crude Fiber - 1.0%
Crude Fat - 6.5%

Have not fed the 'syrup', as we feed the modified + solubles(though most days, when the farm manager goes for a load, they give her the dry DDG product if they have any on hand.). But, a couple of the guys who work with me fed some last year - just ran it out into empty protein tubs and let it set up; cows really liked it.
That sounds like a lot of money for that low of protein and only 37% DM. I am paying $64/ton for modified distillers @ 50% DM. I can't recall the protein content but I believe it's around 30%.

I think both the 7% protein, 63% moisture for $42/ton and the 50% moisture for $64/ton are about the same cost. I think the 63% moisture is about 20-25% protein on dry basis and 50% mositure is about 13-15% protein on an as is basis, 26-30% on dry basis. Transportation cost could determine best cost per lb of protein.

Latest posts