Alternating feed in Winter

Help Support CattleToday:

Reaction score
I have seen some ranchers around here alternating feeding only cake one day and feeding only hay the next day. Is that a good practice? My dad only fed hay during the Winter but I am open to other options. Thanks for any opinions.

lovetoride1965":902426qb said:
I have seen some ranchers around here alternating feeding only cake one day and feeding only hay the next day. Is that a good practice? My dad only fed hay during the Winter but I am open to other options. Thanks for any opinions.

Depends on your forage. If you don't have any forage then you should be feeding hay every day. If they aren't maintaining a decent condition then u can supplement them with cake.
We have fed straw and cake if needed. They have to have the protein and the straw scratches the rumen and gives them mass.

Thanks for the input Bigfoot and 3waycross. To answer your question 3waycross there isn't any forage. My first instinct was that it isn't a good thing. One rancher told me that his cows do alright with that way of feeding but I don't want my cows to just do alright. The ranchers that I have seen doing it are always trying to squeeze every penny that they can out of their cows. I am for cutting costs but not when it comes to the health of my animals.

We limit-feed hay and DDG - 2 or 3 hours at the hay feeders, depending upon stage of production - but they get fed EVERY day.
In addition to the nutritive value in the hay, the fermentation process in responsible, in a big way, to providing/maintaining body heat. Yeah, you could provide calories in another form, but they NEED the forage to maintain body heat.

Latest posts