Alpacas - Good-Bad

Help Support CattleToday:

TexasBred":38hh5f0y said:
In South America where I came from their a primary source of meat, milk, wool and beasts of burden.
TB are you calling Texas, south America now with all the illegals

M5farm":28wyh2lc said:
TexasBred":28wyh2lc said:
In South America where I came from their a primary source of meat, milk, wool and beasts of burden.
TB are you calling Texas, south America now with all the illegals
M5 it is getting harder and harder to determine where you are. The Rio Grande has so much congestion now the water can hardly flow. Looks like the Jews crossing the Red Sea.

Don't worry TB, I heard Obama or as the hispanics call him - La Grande Grupa Guardabosque - is coming out there to see for himself. Things should be fixed shortly.

There is a guy just a few miles from me who has 100's maybe a 1,000 Alpacas. A few years ago he was getting $10,000 apiece for them. Now he is trying to create a market for Alpaca meat. I am sure that he made a bundle on them but that ship has sailed. Now he is trying to figure out how to get rid of them.

Dave":3tpalpgj said:
There is a guy just a few miles from me who has 100's maybe a 1,000 Alpacas. A few years ago he was getting $10,000 apiece for them. Now he is trying to create a market for Alpaca meat. I am sure that he made a bundle on them but that ship has sailed. Now he is trying to figure out how to get rid of them.

:lol2:

$10,000 must be a standard rate for one. That's what my neighbor got for a baby they had. It was pure white and someone in Colorado bought it from them. They bought a van and took two weeks to drive out to deliver it.

The fleece is valued by people who make clothes. They like it cause its nonallergic like wool and its very light. You sell it by the pound. Seems a bit of a contradiction I think.

Jogeephus":3s9ln3my said:
Don't worry TB, I heard Obama or as the hispanics call him - La Grande Grupa Guardabosque - is coming out there to see for himself. Things should be fixed shortly.
Yeah boy....all he'll see is what they show on tv. And he'll look at one of those MS-13 gangsters and think "If I had a son he would look just like that awesome young man".

Jogeephus":1h56e900 said:
$10,000 must be a standard rate for one. That's what my neighbor got for a baby they had. It was pure white and someone in Colorado bought it from them. They bought a van and took two weeks to drive out to deliver it.

The fleece is valued by people who make clothes. They like it cause its nonallergic like wool and its very light. You sell it by the pound. Seems a bit of a contradiction I think.

There's an Alpaca farm on the edge of town here. The blk ones are amazing to look at when they are first shorn. Every time I drive by there all I can see is a target rich environment.

BTW you shoulda seen em yesterday afternoon after they all go caught out in the open with no fleece on them and 4 in of fresh hail on them and the ground. I almost felt sorry for the little buggers.

people started dumping emus out where we live. Had a pair get in with our cows and let me tell you, that is not a good thing. They stampeded through 2- 5 strand fences. They were so freaked out, they started charging things, trucks, atvs.....Had a pair of birds chase my mother in law when she was on a walk down the road. A neighbor took care of them. I knew people who paid over 10,000 for a breeder..My thoughts were at the time, if they were good to eat and people liked them, we'd already be eating emu burgers..

Lets not discourage Sky from buying a large herd of Alpacas else we will deprive ourselves of many humorous threads in the future on CT.

Jogeephus":36vnhyp3 said:
Lets not discourage Sky from buying a large herd of Alpacas else we will deprive ourselves of many humorous threads in the future on CT.

Thanks ... PAL :lol2:

skyhightree1":2o1uaqvu said:
Jogeephus":2o1uaqvu said:

Thanks ... PAL :lol2:

Don't mention it. Can't wait to hear our your exploits and when you make your fortune don''t forget me. :mrgreen:

I bet they are just like Llamas. They can kick backwards when you are trying to catch one. Then they urinate on you, then turn around and puke spit with their dead on aim in the middle of your face. Smells just like the puke in the hallway of the elementary school too. :nod:

LMAO... Jo I would never forget you. I may even have enough $$$ for you to take that lean mean orange machine through some mud ;-) :D

Yeah, my neighbor said they didn't stink and wouldn't eat the grass down to the dirt, and were friendly, and quiet, and low maintenance ...... from my observation none of this was true. But at $10,000 a head why sweat the small stuff. I think Sky just better hire an accountant.

Chuckie":230hcrne said:
I bet they are just like Llamas. They can kick backwards when you are trying to catch one. Then they urinate on you, then turn around and puke spit with their dead on aim in the middle of your face. Smells just like the puke in the hallway of the elementary school too. :nod:

That's why they should be caught with at least a 6mm bullet or larger.

I roped an alpaca for a guy one time. It was the only one I was ever very close. Kind of an intresting animal to look at. It didn't do any spitting. The same guy had some emus, that he went ahead and just shot, because he couldn't catch them.