ALOT sale

Help Support CattleToday:

eric

Reaction score
Has anyone in here been to an A*L*O*T sale? They are having a bull sale later this month. I am not having any luck finding anyone around here with black angus for sale, so I thought I might make a weekend of it and head up there to the sale. It is a bull only sale, but since it is only angus, I am hoping to find some folks willing to sell some pairs or bred cows. They are having a female sale in April? I believe, but I was hoping to pick up 4-5 prs before then.

Don't know exactly were you are but you might also try Christian Cattle Co. in Hico, Tx, Lastovica Angus in Fredericksburg, Tx or even Diamond RM Ranch in Montgomery, Tx.

thanks for the leads, will try and follow up on them when I get a chance.

by the way, Madisonville, Hico...throw in Evant and Glen Rose and you have the route we take to the deer lease, just south of Lampassas in Lometa!

Im just curious but, wouldnt there be thousands of Angus Breeders in Texas? or are you all just giving hime direction to somewhere close?

Copeman...you have to remember I am about 20 miles north of Dallas, in a semi rural county. While there are quite a few folks raising cattle around me, there really are'nt any large ranches around me raising angus. Most of the large chunks of land are being bought up by developers, and the few large ranches around me have pretty much starting downsizing and letting their herd become a mix of commercial cattle. Not many purebreds around this area. I got quite a few leads off of the ALOT website, but they are mostly a hundred miles or so away. Not a problem, but I just would rather go to a sale knowing that there will be some quality cows there rather than driving a hundred miles to some guys farm and being disappointed with the quality of the cows. I have decided to stay away from the regular salebarns where anyone can sale their cows and try and focus more on the breed sales when possible. I am not looking for registered cows by any means, but I would like to obtain a little better quality and maybe even some background information on the cows than what is normally found at the regular weekly sales.

eric":2h33hp2k said:
Has anyone in here been to an A*L*O*T sale? They are having a bull sale later this month. I am not having any luck finding anyone around here with black angus for sale, so I thought I might make a weekend of it and head up there to the sale. It is a bull only sale, but since it is only angus, I am hoping to find some folks willing to sell some pairs or bred cows. They are having a female sale in April? I believe, but I was hoping to pick up 4-5 prs before then.

Yes, we attend ALOT sales, though I don't know if we'll get to the bull sale this month. They will have a female sale in May. There are some smaller, good breeders selling in the ALOT sale. A+ Angus at Stephenville is dispersing on March 5th. Their website is http://www.aplus-angus.com. Maybe you can get a catalog? Twin Eagles near Athens, TX is also dispersing on May 1. You can contact [email protected] for a catalog. I'll get to your PM tomorrow.

Frankie, I checked out the A+ website, and I believe they will be out of my price range, as most of them appear to be in the 5 figure range! From what I gathered, they are selling off their registered cattle and keeping their commercial herd. While I am sure they are worth the money and would seem to be a perfect set of cows to start a registered breeding stock herd with, they just arent what I am looking for at this time. I guess what I am looking for is something in between what they have and what's usually available at the weekly salebarn. I've decided to go to the San Saba sale on the 26th, as they will have over 3400 hd selling, so surely there will be something for guys like myself who want quality cows but dont need registered stock for showing and/or breeding purposes. Thanks for responding to the PM.

eric":1cqcf8jz said:
Frankie, I checked out the A+ website, and I believe they will be out of my price range, as most of them appear to be in the 5 figure range! From what I gathered, they are selling off their registered cattle and keeping their commercial herd. While I am sure they are worth the money and would seem to be a perfect set of cows to start a registered breeding stock herd with, they just arent what I am looking for at this time. I guess what I am looking for is something in between what they have and what's usually available at the weekly salebarn. I've decided to go to the San Saba sale on the 26th, as they will have over 3400 hd selling, so surely there will be something for guys like myself who want quality cows but dont need registered stock for showing and/or breeding purposes. Thanks for responding to the PM.

A+ has spent a lot of money on cattle, but I'll bet there will be some cattle selling at "reasonable" prices toward the end of the sale. Now what's reasonable to some won't be to others! More and more sale barns are having special sales where they give a history of the cattle being sold. I did respond to the PM this morning. Good luck...

Eric -- no doubt there will be a lot of good replacement cattle at the Jordon's on the 26th. But if you feel like a bit of a drive this weekend you might want to drive down to the 4 County Auction in Industry, Tx. this Saturday for their spring replacement sale. They usually have some good cattle at reasonable prices, though I expect the prices will be up a bit this year. I believe this year they will have mostly black Brangus and tigerstripe heifers and young cows.

Also, if for some reason you don't go to Jordon's and still want to look at bulls, on the 26th in Bryan they will hold the auction of bulls from the Navasota testing station. Up to a few days before the sale you can get a good, long look at the bulls at the test station and probably get all the info that will be in the sale catalog (BW, ADG, REA, EPD info, pedigree, etc.). Or if you want to you can get the sale catalog online. There should be some good young bulls, mostly black Angus but with a good number of black Brangus and also Charolais. I think their website is http://www.texasbulltest.com