Along Came a Spider

Help Support CattleToday:

TexasBred":3u2veynl said:
Wish I had found him....they would be even more rare. :nod:
clap3sx7.gif
glad to have you on my side as they would be extinct if it was up to me.

slick4591":c15s6gho said:
I can't imagine shutting a job like that down for a frikin' spider. :roll:
there is a cave about 10 miles down the road from me and this guy that bought the land it is on found this rare breed of snail and then got free money from the goverment to buy about 3000 acres of really nice open land from a friend of mine becuse it shed water to this area and then got more money to plant trees all over the land and gets money evey year to pay himself and employees to do studies and explorer the cave. so shutting down a job because of a spider is rediculous but not as bad as i have heard of.

slick4591":z1m3in92 said:
Rare spider found in Texas shuts down $15M construction project

Read more: http://www.foxnews.com/us/2012/09/15/ra ... z26ZC5VDmy
Meanwhile from the same webpage, evidently, my old nemesis (the Vietnamese) are smarter than I gave them credit for.

http://www.foxnews.com/world/2012/09/12 ... =obnetwork

"HON CHONG, Vietnam – Hundreds of species live in the limestone caves of Hon Chong in southern Vietnam, and many of them are found nowhere else on Earth. Yet their habitat is being blown apart, chunk by chunk, in the name of making cement."
Give 'em heck Charlie--they're bugs.
[shrug]

You'll have to pardon me if I'm a little slow on grasping this concept. So the construction workers were moving dirt and digging holes in the ground and they found a crevis with one of these spiders that hasn't been seen in 25 years or so and this spider was found by the "on site biologist". Is this the same person who requires millions of dollars worth of silt fencing to be placed on top of hills on the construction sites to prevent soil from eroding up the hill and silting some stream at the top of the hill?

Not sure who the dandy is with the brand new spotless hard hat but it didn't look like he got out of the office much and maybe just maybe since the average spider lays hundreds of eggs at a time maybe just maybe if the biologist would get out of the office and go stick his head underground he might find there is more than a few. Maybe they don't see them everyday cause they have their heads stuck in a computer and not in a cave. Or maybe the cave they have their head stuck up is the wrong kind of cave. One that stinks. Heck, for all we know there could be thousands of them underneath their office.

Good luck Texas on this one. They shut down construction of Ga319 for many years while they relocated some woodpeckers and they are currently in the process of condemnation procedures on the majority of one Georgia county for this same feathered friend.

That's why I ain't supposed to bushhog during certain time of the year too--mating season of some woodpecker that nests in the nat'l forest.

It can be a double edged sword. There are more than a few cases out here where unwanted "progress" was stopped by endangered species or environmental concerns. Right now that's our best bet for stopping a highspeed railway system that would destroy tons of farmland. We've kind of learned how to use their logic against them. The funny part is that a whole bunch of their side are willing to side with progress when it's something THEY want so we have to really cry to the die-hards.

It's because of a certain butterfly and a few creepy crawlies that Euro Disney isn't in England, just up the road from me. In someways I am glad for it in others not.

They have been spending 100's of millions on salmon recovery here in the Northwest. There are some runs and species they declared endangered. They have tore out dams, fenced miles and miles of stream, removed culverts, and planted the riparian area. The list goes on and on. Yet, they keep catching fish and killing them. The sportsmen, commercial and native fishermen, none of them will give an inch on how many fish they are allowed to catch. Maybe if they quit killing fish and took up killing the other critters ( the "protected" seals, sea lions, and some birds) that kill the fish, the fish population would increase.

Why delay the inevitable, blow the mountain and the spider sky high - it's going to happen some or other time the way the population is growing anyway. Let's speed things up....

I didn't say that! :shock:

alisonb":f2umghwf said:
Why delay the inevitable, blow the mountain and the spider sky high - it's going to happen some or other time the way the population is growing anyway. Let's speed things up....

I still cannot believe the dumb a$$ didn't just step on the dam thing and go on with his work.

alisonb":3tnh1hpw said:

Sure you did! And you deserve a big hug for saying it! :D

slick4591":18qd82d3 said:
What I find funny is they dissected it. All that and they go and sliced the little sucker up.
Maybe that's why they are now endangered...if you or I had done it we would have gone to jail. :mad:

TexasBred":6apbyst1 said:
slick4591":6apbyst1 said:
What I find funny is they dissected it. All that and they go and sliced the little sucker up.
Maybe that's why they are now endangered...if you or I had done it we would have gone to jail. :mad:

and the feds would have made it a hate crime. :lol:

TexasBred":3ez6f9a4 said:
alisonb":3ez6f9a4 said:

I still cannot believe the dumb a$$ didn't just step on the dam thing and go on with his work.
There ya go being logical again--they gonna put you on "The List".