Almost time...

Help Support CattleToday:

TexasBred":1b6h9rq2 said:
Looking good. I'll PM you my address so you can ship my country ham when ready. lol

Gotcha covered :lol: Thanks yea every time I see them I keep thinking about pork chops and some sausage

skyhightree1":23caqqc0 said:
TexasBred":23caqqc0 said:
Looking good. I'll PM you my address so you can ship my country ham when ready. lol

Gotcha covered :lol: Thanks yea every time I see them I keep thinking about pork chops and some sausage

It looks like a lot of work to me. We butchered our own until I was grown. We heated water to scrape them. The head meat and kidneys went into blood sausage, we cleaned the casings for sausage (the large casings were used for blood sausage), and we rendered out the fat for cooking grease. I don't think I knew what Crisco was until I was in high school.

As far as I can remember the only parts we didn't use were the stomach and lungs.

Rafter S":3er4wgh7 said:
skyhightree1":3er4wgh7 said:
TexasBred":3er4wgh7 said:

It looks like a lot of work to me. We butchered our own until I was grown. We heated water to scrape them. The head meat and kidneys went into blood sausage, we cleaned the casings for sausage (the large casings were used for blood sausage), and we rendered out the fat for cooking grease. I don't think I knew what Crisco was until I was in high school.

As far as I can remember the only parts we didn't use were the stomach and lungs.

It is a lot of work but its fun doing it with friends and neighbors and cutting up. We scald and scrap too. The small intestines will be cleaned for chitlins :D and the large will be used to stuff sausage in then smoked the lungs are the only thing on them that will not be used. We also render the leaf lard too it will be a lot of work but when I bite into the first piece of bacon or pork chop I will be ready to start the process again. The stomach the HOG MAW will be eaten for sure :mrgreen:

Those are nice looking. I took an 800 lb. calf to the slaughter house today and they had several hogs in the lot to slaughter. Those will be better than anything you can buy in the store.

Whatever you are feeding you sure have them looking good.

IMG_20171024_151321.jpg

jltrent":28bje6ej said:
Whatever you are feeding you sure have them looking good.

IMG_20171024_151321.jpg

Thank you sir.. it's a secret.. Na kidding I feed brewers grain, milk, bread, sweet snacks and 100lbs of corn a month is all they get. Unlimited brewers grain bread snacks and milk.

wacocowboy":yjtff0yz said:
skyhightree1":yjtff0yz said:
wacocowboy":yjtff0yz said:
One day I'd like to get set up to raise some pigs.

not too much to it.. you can be set up in 2 days

Yeah but I want them set up where they don't stink up the place.

Build a nice sized pen and don't put alot in it they crap near there water source so if you have a big pen and don't put a ton in it your good to go. However, there is always a smell it's just how bad depends on the choices you make lol

That smell can be a bonus. We were in the process of donating some land to the state so they could build a fire tower in a more centralized location which would help everyone in the county but a neighbor started petitioning the move saying it would hurt the value of his home so we got word to the malcontent through a gossiping busybody that it was either the fire tower or a hog operation. He withdrew his complaints and has been smiling ever since.

Your going to need a big smoke house. I hope you don't wait to late and get your meat frozen. From my experience if it gets to cold the meat want take salt and will rot in a smoke house.

jltrent":l893f036 said:
Your going to need a big smoke house. I hope you don't wait to late and get your meat frozen. From my experience if it gets to cold the meat want take salt and will rot in a smoke house.

My smoke house is only 4x4x6 I hope it handles it well. Yea your right about the salt aspect I will go ahead before that happens though.

Latest posts