Almost There

Help Support CattleToday:

WarriorPatriot

Reaction score
Our fair starts Tuesday we have to take the animals in. Its coming so fast. I got my steer clipped (I need practice I found) but overall he looks great he's filled out nice and is a wonder with leading, loading, clipping and all. Walked straight into the grooming chute and stock trailer first try no fight. So we are all ready for fair. Tomorrows fair set up. Next year I'm thinking about showing maybe a Hereford and one of my dairys :lol:

Good luck, WarriorPatriot! :) I don't know much about showing, but I do know it's a lot of hard work - I sincerely hope yours pays off!

Good luck! I know you've done a lot of hard work with this steer so send us some pictures of the final product!

We went to the fair yesterday to set up for 4+ hours and an ag teacher from another school was asking the lady if our dairy had to be shown in leather show halter and the head said yes you do. Then I looked at the teacher and I told her it said nothing anywhere in the general, livestock, or dairy cattle entry rules that you MUST have a leather show halter. And she agreed with me and shook her head. She has 13 Jerseys her students are taking to the fair and she cant get that many halters that fast because the district has cut hers, ours and other schools ag funding because they think its not important. So...we're stuck. We're going to get show halters on monday (I was going to use my rope/chain cow halter) but complain to the office and use against them that it was no where stated you have to have them. :roll: Thats not the only thing theyve kept quiet, we've had some other things pulled on us so we'll see how it comes fair time huh? :shock:

He'll look nicer in leather. I don't actually own any beef or dairy leather show halters, but I have a few generous friends who've let me borrow theirs for the few minutes I'm in the ring. :lol: ;-)

Good luck. Amazing how things change in 27 years. When I lived there, Agriculture was still a large part of the overall economy there. It is not even recognizable to when I grew up there. Good luck in your show. Leather halters are the norm at most of the shows we go too.

You used to be able to have your choice of what you wanted to use...guess not anymore :) I'd love to see him in a nice black leather, he'd be very handsome :lol:

I've only been to one show where I saw a kid use anything other than a leather halter (he had on a blue and white rope halter) and that was because he didn't have a halter, was borrowing a friend's, and that friend happened to be showing in Ring B while he was supposed to be going into Ring A. They do look nicer in the leather halters. Y'all may look into starting a little booster club. It's what we did...for extra money. We sell meat, cookies, deserts.. do car hops and things to raise money. It comes in handy when you need a new blower or clippers or, in your case, show halters. Again, good luck! :)

Jay