Almost ready to buy a herd.

Help Support CattleToday:

SuperDave

Reaction score
I have about 200 acres with which I can put some cattle on. My concern is that i do have an 8-5 job and wont always be around. I know that obviously more cattle would equal more problems, but what would you all suggest be a good number to start out with. I have some knowledge of cattle but this will be my first big purchase. we have had cattle before but no more than 5 at a time. thanks

my suggestion? Is to take your time going into this, no matter if you have 20 acres, or 200! No need to learn through bad experiences and knowing that you have dove into the deep end and are now overwhelmed by it all.

If you are to make mistakes make them with as few cattle as possible.

Another thing is, and I think it is a guess on many ppl's parts, a price shift to the negative may in fact take place soon, ( who really knows?) But would you want to be holding alot of cattle that you need to get rid of after you just paid top dollar for, and now the market has dropped?

Just a few of the many things to ponder. It's not like we are digging for gold here. There is not likely to be a mother load pf wealth found in raising cattle, just a good hardworking living.

You have to decide if that 8 hour day turning into a 16 hour day is going to suite you as well.
in either case, i wish you well, and good luck in your endevour :cboy:

The only thing I would add to Medic's post is to stay away from first time heifers. They are notorious for calving problems that you will not be there to help with. Go for bred cows, or better yet 3-in-ones, bred cows with a calf at their side.

It all depends on the conditions on your place and how long you plan on keeping the cattle there. You can run about 8-20 cows on the 200 acres. In good conditions I would personally run about 15-20. If you're worried about not being able to tend to the cattle due to your job, why not consider leasing the place instead? I would really be interested in that :lol: .

if you were around here i'd recommend you start out with about 20 just to get your feet wet. we can run 1-2 head per acre. i like to have 2 acres per pair but cant remember the last time that was the case. anyway, like another poster suggested i'd probably wait a little longer at least just to see what the market does.

i was hoping that you all would suggest in the 20 range. right now i am very new to watching prices, are these the ones listed in the futures market in the paper. if i am looking to buy a bread heifer, do i look at the per pound hundred weight for beef ? kinda of confused in that area. thanks

Well super dave, if your confused now, just wait till you get real live cattle on yr place....and trust me... get un-confused before you ever get any real ones..... now keep in mind, every single one of us here has had to start at the begining as well, so dont be the least bit hesitant about asking anything.

The futures are not really going to help you on the day to day purchasing of cattle, what will help you is current stock yard prices, they can be found in many places over the internet, the local papers, or even a call to the local yards....now, thats another thing......as is posted so many times over....
the yards are were everyone brings everything.... you are as likely to get a cull as you are to get a fresh prime animal... so perhaps you might want to go and learn first.
or find a private producer or two you think you can trust and buy by private treaty....just some thoughts.

What ever you do, stay away from the mentallity of "i need them all, and I need them all right now" this will lead you into disaster..

Sit down with a business plan....... what do you want to accomplish with your operation? feeders? breeders? both? closed herd? open herd? steers> pairs> grade or pure bred herd? lots to think about. Good luck

like was said dont rush buying cattle. take your time find the type you want. an go from there.always make sure you can live with your choices. so go slow . pay what you think you can afford. scott

Before starting in the registered cattle side of the business, I'ld get some good commercial cows. They're generally lower priced and you can learn (and make mistakes) without loosing as much money. Although the majority of our cows are registered, we still have a couple of the old timers. They serve as a benchmark to hold the registered stuff to, at least that's how I rationalize keeping cows that are past their prime.

dun

superdave,
If you decide to go registered...suggest you visit a..dispersal sale and buy good older cows...with a few calves left to have,get a bull of the genetic line of your choice...and start building your herd. These can serve as recip cows also..for AI from super bulls.

If you are somwwhat new to the business I would strongly suggest you start with some good commercial cows and go thru the learning and development stage with them. Select a mentor in your area as a ....GUARDAN.....in any event.

These days, while the class room is expensive...the school of hard knocks is almost prohibitive.

Dave....before I set to buy herd there are a few things that I would check off my list.
1. Facilities...fences, pens, chute, bunks, trailer, barn, water, electricity to the places that needs it (up here we have to use tank heaters in winter). Nothing like turning out the cows and watch them go for a walk over to the neighbor's wheat field through what looked like a good fence.
2. Find a mentor...really important...and make some friends that raise cattle in your ares, most folks like to talk cows with almost anyone who talks back.
3. I agree with Preston39...he dispersal sale will be the best source of quality animals, you can get the history and be able to ask questions...and usually get to see sires and dams, a really big help when selecting your cows.
If you can spend some time with the herd in the morning and evening I wouldn't worry about working off the farm...they pretty much take care of themselves(good fences real important here). Buying the 3'fers is a great way to get started, you get to see what the cow's offspring looks like and have saved the trouble of finding a bull or AI(chute needed here).
Have you decided on a breed or buying Xs? I wouldn't shoot my whole wad on a big herd right now, the market is pretty high and we should see the seasonal drop in a few months...could be wrong it could hold on high through to winter, never know.
Good luck....Dave Mc

I aint sure where your from so I don't know the carrying capacity for your place so I'll advise as if you were my next door neighbor. You said you have had 5 or so at a time so your ain't exactly new to cattle. First I get commercial cattle then decide if you wanted to go registered. Buy 10 - 3 in ones. You have a idea of what her calf looks like and know she can at least spit one out. Also buy 6 300# steers. Raise them to about 600 and sell them for a little income. Buy 6 300# heifers. Raise these to 600 also and decide if you want to hold any of these over to put with your herd or sell them off. Last buy 1 of the best young bulls you can find. By the time your cows and the retained heifers need breeding he should be ready. By doing all of this you will get a better understanding of the whole operation and will know which way you want to go.

Superdave, I don't know anything about your location, but since Mike Springer seems to be asleep at the wheel I'll step in for him (I've been hoping to beat him to the punch for a long time): Some Murray Grey's would probably work very well for you. Docile, good growth, good carcass, etc., etc., etc. :lol: :lol:

Just teasing Mike -- actually, I rather like your low-key breed promotion and the exuberance you have for your chosen breed.

MY .02. Get you about 10 Gentle bred cows and a bull. Sell the bull calves and keep the heifers (if the heifers are not what you desire, change bulls). My experience has been that the heifers you keep will be raised there and will know where they live, and will not try to get out of the fences as long as they have plenty to eat. I have 140 acres behind my house and 40 cows that were born and raised there. Some of my fences only have 2 strands of wire up and I have no problem with mine getting out. Just change bulls every 3 or 4 years, (you can breed back to the bull's daughter, but not his granddaughter)and build your herd up over time. Cull any problem cattle, and you should be fine. Might not work for everyone, but it does for me.

CCRanch":1b6wuyqo said:
...you can breed back to the bull's daughter, but not his granddaughter)...

Be prepared to cull hard with the offspring of this father / daughter breeding. Getting a little close with the genetics here. If it all works out, this is some tight linebreeding. Otherwise you're inbreeding.

You've been given lots of great advice by several posters already. I'd just re-emphasize, plan it first. Plan your operation, determine your goals, where you want to end up. Commerical cattle, show cattle, seed stock, etc.... Then choose your breed. Choose one you like, and that will help you achieve your objectives. Then get-r-done....
Good luck, keep asking questions. The only dumb ones are the ones that don't get asked.

Bred cows (springers), pairs (cow and calf) don't usually sell by the pound. The sell by the head or by the pair. Depending upon where you are they sell for different prices. In my area, good commerical pairs are selling for $1,200 plus this week. Springers are about $980 plus. Registered cows are going to cost more.

when you linebreed . your really inbreeding. b/c your consentrating on 1 cow family an bloodline. like in the herefordswith mark donald or line1 domino bloodlines. the hereford breeders will know the bloodlines im talking of.b/c they go back along ways in the hereford breed. scott

bigbull338":k8ddeoaq said:
when you linebreed . your really inbreeding. b/c your consentrating on 1 cow family an bloodline. like in the herefordswith mark donald or line1 domino bloodlines. the hereford breeders will know the bloodlines im talking of.b/c they go back along ways in the hereford breed. scott

Like I said, just need to be ready to cull, if you're going to line breed with father and daughter. Same would go for mother son. Most of the folks I know, including hereford folks that line breed try to maintain a 50% rule for each generation. Less than 50%. Father daughter would make up 75% coming from the bull. JMO

Nearly every animal I own is a result of line breeding.

Greg

years ago i got into the reg polled herefords. an the guy that i was buying stock from was line breeding. an let me tell you it was bad business. the heifers i bought never would breed back. hardly at all. i kept going for 5yrs fore i took emmm to the sale barn.none of what i sold was bred . they was all open. an i ran a well bred bull with them.it wasnt the bull falt. b/c when i soldout. moved him to the dairy herd a month later. so it was the way the cows was bred that mesed them up . scott