Almost pulled a dieselbeef today

Help Support CattleToday:

A

Anonymous

I planned on bush hogging a bunch of dog fennel today. Probably about 60 acres. Things are rolling right along and the engine started smoking. I figured it was just debris (those small fennel flowers) gettin on the block and heating up. I kept cleaning it all off and out from the radiator screen. The smoke got worse and I checked everything out but couldn't see anything that was a problem. Then the smoke got bad and I went over To the truck just in case I needed tools or to put it on the trailer quick like. Pulled the side panels and there's a fire under there. The wiring harness was burning up. Killed the engine(diesel) by pulling the choke lever. The key wouldn't shut it off. Blew the fire out. Took some doing but I jumped the starter to at least get it back on the trailer to get it home. Now I get to rewire most of it. At least the charging and starting circuits.
I just bought the thing about 2 months ago. Used, but still cost a small fortune. Dammit

Angus Cowman":3e76a939 said:
Never seen a diesel with a choke
I call it a choke. It's a lever that cuts off the air. So I guess technically it's a choke because it chokes off the air supply

I did something like that on a dozer one time, no wiring issue, just had some dry leaves and brush in the pans and it started a little fire, I thought I saw smoke, then nothing, then some more, yep it on fire, luckily it was only about a minutes time to a hose and nothing was burnt or melted.

To bad you didn't get off so lucky, sounds like you have a job.

sorry brother hook... I need to start paying attention to that kinda stuff more mostof the time all i watch is the temp gauge cause screen and radiator fins get clogged.

Angus Cowman":3kgpy808 said:
Never seen a diesel with a choke

And turning off the key doesn't kill mine either..... :D

Couple years ago I was repairing a broken exhaust (can't remember if that was the tree limb incident or the barn door) but any way I was welding on the exhaust under the hood. Took an old piece of canvas that had been laying around the shop for years to cover everything up that didn't need sparks hitting......great idea right.....NOT. That old piece of canvas went up in flames like it had been soaked in coal oil.... :roll: Funny now but it wasn't when I was frantically trying to get all the burning pieces off the engine.

Hook....some days are just more fun than others. :nod:

on the new machine...at least ya got it before it was a total loss..dammit man...ya never know buying used. guys comin from ocala to pick mine up tomorrow. burnt unit with brand new tires all round for 800 bucks...really he bought the tires and i gave him the tractor bout how it worked out

hey man my wife took pics of mine while it was burning...

got it insured yet since ya just got it...

Just got all the wiring cleaned up and spliced back together. All systems working again. It was a 5 ft section of the harness that laid on top of the engine. I stripped it back to see the colors, rerouted it away from anything hot. Just need to out some wire loom around it and zip tie it where I want it.
Not too bad actually.
Gary, I don't have it insured yet. Who are you with?

florida farm bureau will get you a country squire policy better than anyone. cannot be beat. insures my cattle on/off my property. all my wordly goods and liabilities.
cant say enough good about them..they cover everything i own.

no bs bout hurricnaes and you'd fall out if i told you how cheap they are..course all cvgs are diff but i know i pay alot less than people with alot less

Thank gary.
Also, Alternator is working! While I had my head in there I also found the wire for the temp sensor and hooked that up. Tach is working sporadic now but I'll dig into that later

well yers werked out a whole lot better than mine did...i ended up with the jd but it cost me another 5k plus what the ins gave me for that massey pos..

but i gots me a fiddyhowsepowrtrakter now boyz

the bellhsg broek and when the machine seperated bout a 1/2 inch it pulled either the fule line or the hyd line apart and it hosed the back of the engine...im guessing...ir the wiring..once it got going it was hard to put out so likely the fuel was burning too...

btw theyre coming to haul it off tomorrow...

Latest posts