Almost had a tragedy today

Help Support CattleToday:

AZAggie

Reaction score
After feeding some cake in the lot, I opened up the pen where I feed the two horses when I feed the cows. I took a trip around the pasture and came back to find this.

I was about to find something to pull that tank over on its side when she finally got to her feet. I then got a shower of poopy water as she slipped and spun her wheels jumping out of the tank. These Brahman mixed calves are too curious for their own good.

She got knocked into it by another,,had it happen few times. had to take a tractor to one once, and flip her out..she was like a turtle on its back..

Oh dang, that's scary - she actually looks dead in the pic! Had a heifer get knocked into the feed bunk - just like Alacowman. She was prob close to 800 lbs at the time & by sheer fear & adrenaline we were able to turn the bunk (and her) over. Glad your girl's okay!

Glad she was ok! It is amazing how many ways they can get into trouble. We delivered a couple bulls to a customer on Thursday he was telling us about a Hereford cow that had twins while she was having the second calf the 1st one rolled down the bank into the pond. Had he not been there the calf would have been dead.

[/url

A couple examples of trouble makers

Gizmom

We have also had an animal get knocked into a trough and upside down. Unfortunately, twice it didn't have a happy ending as they were dead when they were found the next day. Once had one get in and couldn't get rolled over enough to get it's feet under it and I took the truck and pushed it enough that it finally tipped over. One other time, I don't know how but I actually managed to get it tipped over by hand and the calf in it weighed 350 or 400. The troughs with the metal frame and the smooth plastic liner are definitely death traps. They are U shaped so an animal that is laying on it's side just cannot get it's feet under it. I like the ones on the ground, metal hot water tanks cut in half longways, that they cannot get stuck in.

ALACOWMAN":16nil57l said:
She got knocked into it by another,,had it happen few times. had to take a tractor to one once, and flip her out..she was like a turtle on its back..
I had the pick-up backed up and was getting a chain out to try to pull it on it's side when she finally got her feet under her.

I drive past a guy's lot and water tank on the way to my place. When it's really hot outside, he'll normally have one or two cows in the water trough. I keep thinking I'm going to drive by one day and find one floating in it. Either that or they are going to tear the side out of the tank getting out. It's a great big metal, round stock tank.

Latest posts