Almost done!

Help Support CattleToday:

Reaction score
We are scheduled to flush on January 6th so we have been busy with getting the donor cow set up, we are also setting up 25 recips. This wouldn't be so bad but we are also setting up 40 head to AI it really get confusing as to who gets what when they are all overlapping. We pulled CIDR's today on the recips and will pull CIDR's on the AI cows tomorrow and the donor we will start watching for heat on Friday for the donor to get her bred (breeding to EXT) then doing timed AI on the cows on Saturday. I will be glad to call this job finished!

Gizmom

Dang. I bet you will be relieved. Sounds like you've got a busy couple weeks coming up, but it will be worth it. Good luck with all of them.

Thanks,

We will be glad to get this chore done! I sure hope we get a good flush, we have never used this embryologist before so he is new, and so is this protocol so it is a wait and see thing for us. This cow has produced an average of 7 number one's on two flushes so hopefully we can get that.

gizmom

Thanks folks!

We finished up the AI work on all the cattle yesterday! We were using a new AI protocol this year we still used a timed AI protocol just a little different from past years. All the cattle seemed to be in a good heat so it will be intresting to see what the conception rate will be. The best part is we are done! Happy New Year!!! We will do the flush on the 6th put eggs in the recips then sort and put the bulls in and go on a dang vacation! Let the bulls do some work, that is what we pay them for anyway lol. Hope you all have a Happy and Safe New Year.

Gizmom

Gizmom,
With the conception rate that you have had in years past, why did you change AI protocol? I wouldnt think you could improve much on your rates over the last couple of years. What is your old/new protocol if you dont mind sharing?

Thanks

jscunn
All good things must come to an end, our old Embryo guy retired we had used him for over 15 years. He supplied all of our drugs which included Estradiol and combo which has been banned which is the reason for the change in protocol, we can no longer get estradiol I don't know about the combo. Anyway the doc had them mixed for us and that is no longer an option.

The old protocol was:
A.I. Protocol
Day 1 CIDR in 2CC Combo
Day 7 CIDR out 5CC Lute or 2CC Estro Plan before 9:00 a.m.
Day 9 Estrodial 1CC before 9: 00 a.m.
Day 10 Check for heat a.m. Breed after 2:00 p.m.

The new protocol was recommended by the new embryo guy it is called the Missouri Protocol.

The new protocol is:
Day 0 CIDR in and 2cc GnRH
Day 7 Remove CIDR 5 cc PG
54 hours after removal of CIDR AI and 2cc GnRH

It is going to be hard to beat the success we have had over the past few years, but the cows did seem to be in a good heat when we bred them. One thing is for sure when we palpate we will know. I sure hope it works as well!

I will give you an update when we palpate. We will be doing a flush on Friday it will be intresting to see how the protocol worked on the recips.

Gizmom
http://www.gizmoangus.com

Gizmom,
Your new protocol is exactly the same as ours drug wise, we breed on heats up to 66 hours, then breed everything else between 68-72 hours. Interesting if you look in the back of any AI catalog how many different protocols there are that the only thing they change is the time to breed..

Once again good luck with the ET work.

jscunn

We finished up today, I really liked the new guy fast and efficient and just pleasant to be around. The donor cow produced 10 eggs for us 19 of the 25 recips worked so I pulled some out of the tank for them. So total we put in 19 eggs 4 6807's 1 Lucy's Boy, 3 New Day's and the rest EXT. So we will palpate the middle of Feb. and see how we did. By the way I really like the bull you have out in the front pen at your place right now tell me about him, is he the one I looked at right after you got him?

Gizmom

how meny staws of flush quality semen did you use to AI her with.the ET techs ive heard of like to AI with 2 staws of flush quality semen.

Thanks for the kind words about him.
The front pen at the barn on Gibson? If that is the bull (and I think it is) he is a 15 month old bull that was born here. A son of Sydgen Trust out of a 2 yr old cow. He is still there because he got into a fight and hurt his hock early this fall. We pulled him in a lanced it and the swelling went down for a while,but it is back. He will get his shipping papers pretty darn soon.. I was hoping to find someone who wanted to eat a young bull, so far no takers.. 1482# as of 12/31/10

Latest posts