Almost calving time here in the tropics.

Help Support CattleToday:

Silver

Reaction score
Figured we better bring them down today, due date is Mar 1. I'm hoping things are nice before we get busy. Didn't video them all coming in because my hands froze up :frowns:
[youtube]https://youtu.be/OPkUj-0WS9E[/youtube] Almost envy you fellers with the rain and all lol

You sure don't have to worry about visitors this time of the year. Those are some really nice looking cows. Everyone looks thick. How hard was the wind blowing? It's takes 35 mph on the water for the waves to start washing out.

True Grit Farms said:
You sure don't have to worry about visitors this time of the year. Those are some really nice looking cows. Everyone looks thick. How hard was the wind blowing? It's takes 35 mph on the water for the waves to start washing out.

Weatherman claimed gusts to 40 mph from the North. Only thing I know for sure is that if I wanted wind I'd move to Nebraska. I don't mind the cold but wind I'm not cut out for.
Of course today had to be a scheduled power outage for "upgrades", which translated into troughs that needed thawed out when the power came back on after 7 hours.

I kicked my heat up a degree in my house after watching that video. I don't believe I'd know what to do up there.

I'm always amazed how well cattle follow hay. This time of year when you plow a path it gets even easier I imagine. The wind looks crappy but the scenery is still beautiful in the background. Nice looking cattle too.

Twin in hot box:
siFC2WI.jpg

Outside view of hot box. It's old and unfashionable but has saved many calves over the years.
UwORcDX.jpg

Hospital end of the barn. Stalls back through the door. Hot box is hiding to the left behind the chute. The barn is getting well worn, but it's serviceable. I'd like to build one like Randi has.... as soon as steers hit $3.00 I will!
JeybAXe.jpg

You have some great looking cattle Silver.

How many head of cows do you run? I can't imagine the hay that many cows would go through in the climate your in.

Silver said:
Figured we better bring them down today, due date is Mar 1. I'm hoping things are nice before we get busy. Didn't video them all coming in because my hands froze up :frowns:
[youtube]https://youtu.be/OPkUj-0WS9E[/youtube] Almost envy you fellers with the rain and all lol

I would take that any day over what we are dealing with here in Kentucky. We are now over a foot of rain for the year so far. Mud is beyond description. Have never seen weather like this ever here. My main creek which might flood its banks once a year now does it once a week. Last night a 15 foot wide creek on our land was probably 40-50 feet in some spots and just roaring .

************* said:
Silver said:

I would take that any day over what we are dealing with here in Kentucky .
Umm I don't think you know what your saying :shock:

ez14. said:
************* said:

I would have to agree with Branded on this one. Cold can be dealt with. It's time consuming and hard work, but no animal suffers if the time is put in. Constant rain and mud especially at calving creates misery for all involved. I'll take the cold.

Silver said:
ez14. said:
************* said:

I would have to agree with Branded on this one. Cold can be dealt with. It's time consuming and hard work, but no animal suffers if the time is put in. Constant rain and mud especially at calving creates misery for all involved. I'll take the cold.
Your not from Kentucky. I don't think Branded or his cattle would be to fond of going from Kentucky weather to your weather

ez14. said:
Silver said:
ez14. said:

Your not from Kentucky. I don't think Branded or his cattle would be to fond of going from Kentucky weather to your weather

It would take a while for them to acclimate I'm sure. But I would bet these cattle are much happier with their environment currently than most cattle in Kentucky in their current environment. I would also bet that these cattle would perish in Kentucky quite quickly with the current conditions there.
Heading for -35 or worse tonight, the cows don't mind. Newborns do mind, so no sleep for me tonight.

Silver said:
ez14. said:
Silver said:

It would take a while for them to acclimate I'm sure. But I would bet these cattle are much happier with their environment currently than most cattle in Kentucky in their current environment. I would also bet that these cattle would perish in Kentucky quite quickly with the current conditions there.
Heading for -35 or worse tonight, the cows don't mind. Newborns do mind, so no sleep for me tonight.
Can I fly up there and help for a month or so? I can be there about July 1. It should be above freezing by then.

ez14. said:
Silver said:
ez14. said:

I'm nearly certain that my herd could handle the cold. Extreme cold at that.

Who cares if it's cold? At least the ground is frozen. Water on the other hand is highly destructive, our roads are washed out, the fields where the cattle are look like they are plowed. Luckily there hasn't been any foot rot in our herd so far, but the cattle haven't had dry feet for months.

Again, I would prefer the cold instead of rain.

The only thing worse for cattle than mud is cold mud. This has been the longest cold stretch in my lifetime. My guess when it warms here you will dry out in Kentucky.

How many on the ground now, Silver?
Upstate NY gets extreme cold and gets cold rain. I would gladly take the cold. If we could go back to getting snow in November and STAYING white until end of March (usually with 1 January thaw) - that would be a blessing. Cattle and mud is terrible. Yes, takes more management with the calves, but the cows are fine.

Jeanne - Simme Valley said:
How many on the ground now, Silver?
Upstate NY gets extreme cold and gets cold rain. I would gladly take the cold. If we could go back to getting snow in November and STAYING white until end of March (usually with 1 January thaw) - that would be a blessing. Cattle and mud is terrible. Yes, takes more management with the calves, but the cows are fine.

Just 10 calves as of this morning. Two sets of twins, so two bottle feeders. Due date is Mar 1, so hopefully it doesn't get too busy for a few days. Supposed to be -30 overnight for several nights then get nice again.
I guess it would be 11 calves, first one was backwards and dead, but the cow is dead now too which is a good way to keep one's live calf to cow ratio up :roll:

Latest posts