Almanac weaning for March?

Help Support CattleToday:

Sir Loin":2sguo51n said:
Whether you like it or not, HELLO, you are suppose to be businessmen doing your very best to make a PROFIT!
Only PROFIT should be your guiding light! Period, case closed. SL

You seem to be missing the reality that I won't make a nickel more (or less) if I week on March 16 or March 20. SO - if the Almanac says March 20 and it doesn't make a nickel's difference to me, I'll go with March 20 on the possibility that someone may actually know something I don't. AND since it won't cost me a nickel, if there's the possibility that my neighbors may even get 15 minutes more sleep out of the deal because I waited 7 days, I'd like to offer them that hope. The calculator is an amazing instrument and should be used frequently in every business. However, eventually it has done it's job and it's time to consider great possibilities.

Sir Loin":1f1awrb3 said:
Scroote

I'm not sure what you said, but you sure say it well.
Re: " jump on a feller for sayin organic " Not me! If you can identify a niche market and can make money selling to hippie sheeple, I say go for it!!

Now here's the bottom line people.
Whether you like it or not, HELLO, you are suppose to be businessmen doing your very best to make a PROFIT!
Only PROFIT should be your guiding light!
Period, case closed.
SL

Never used an almanac personally but there are a lot of people who do that have made a lot of money doing it.

The moon certainly has an effect of how things behave, as does a radio in the cowshed, pig barn, or green house. Where does any calculator say that works?

Sir Loin":1fiz9jh5 said:
Scroote

I'm not sure what you said, but you sure say it well.
Re: " jump on a feller for sayin organic " Not me! If you can identify a niche market and can make money selling to hippie sheeple, I say go for it!!

Now here's the bottom line people.
Only PROFIT should be your guiding light!
Period, case closed.
SL
If everything I did was profit motivated I'd be the most miserable sob on earth.

TB,
Re:
If everything I did was profit motivated I'd be the most miserable sob on earth.
In that statement ( profit motivated ) you have the cart before the horse.
It is what motivates you ( what you love and enjoy ) that causes you to go into your own business that will produce the profit. It should be your motivating factors that drives you to make a profit so you can stay in business to continue to do what you love and enjoy.

Profit should only be a way of keeping score of your successes which will give you pride in what you do, love and enjoy, not your "motivator".

If you can understand and accomplish that, you will be living not only the American dream but that of every immigrant or wantabe immigrant, legal or illegal, who ever put a foot on American soil.

Please remember we are a capitalistic society and inherent in that is the drive to be successful measured in dollars and if you are successful in business you are doomed to make a profit.

PROFIT is a six letter word, not a four letter word and is nothing to be ashamed of!! You should be as proud of PROFIT as the American flag as it IS what made America the greatest nation ever known to mankind.

Have a nice night
SL

Scroote":30s8egdx said:
Is this thread for real? Bunch of carnivores on here jump on a feller for sayin organic or something like that and you are using an almanac for weaning predictions!

I need to summon the almighty, all-knowing, and mensa member Doc Harris to lecture you all on how unscientific this almanac is and how he is developing a weaning time epd that is DNA tested. Double down university researched with a smathering of textbook lingo to convince all small minded cattlemen of its unquestionable truth!

You've already got Mensa in this very thread. Didn't know doc was a member.

Sir Loin":3okf9iwr said:
PROFIT is a six letter word, not a four letter word and is nothing to be ashamed of!! You should be as proud of PROFIT as the American flag as it IS what made America the greatest nation ever known to mankind.

Have a nice night
SL
Never said I was against profit nor ashamed of it. I love to make money. I love for other people to make money but "profit" it not always the driving force nor the ultimate goal in the things I do. Win, lose or draw, if I can walk into the house at the end of the day happy it has been a profitable day whether I made money or gave away every dollar I had in my pocket. Great feeling to make $20 bucks then anonomously buy lunch for the 2 little ladies in the restaurant having lunch together that you don't even know and see the look on their face when they are told "your lunch is paid for already". ;-)

TexasBred":3758j45o said:
Sir Loin":3758j45o said:

Have a nice night
SL
Never said I was against profit nor ashamed of it. I love to make money. I love for other people to make money but "profit" it not always the driving force nor the ultimate goal in the things I do. Win, lose or draw, if I can walk into the house at the end of the day happy it has been a profitable day whether I made money or gave away every dollar I had in my pocket. Great feeling to make $20 bucks then anonomously buy lunch for the 2 little ladies in the restaurant having lunch together that you don't even know and see the look on their face when they are told "your lunch is paid for already". ;-)[/quote

Boy howdy Texas! And here I thought you were a cold hearted son of a gun. Guess your heart is bigger than a raisin. It would be nice if you extended that kinda Texas hospitality to a few cow folks on this board once in a while. Maybe I should post a pic of my wife in my profile with low cut top and then we could be buddies.

I will suggest to Doc about creating a profit good feeling in your tummy on a job well done at the end of the day epd. Stay tuned for the research articles.......

Scroote":30449m7h said:
Boy howdy Texas! And here I thought you were a cold hearted son of a gun. Guess your heart is bigger than a raisin. It would be nice if you extended that kinda Texas hospitality to a few cow folks on this board once in a while. Maybe I should post a pic of my wife in my profile with low cut top and then we could be buddies.

I will suggest to Doc about creating a profit good feeling in your tummy on a job well done at the end of the day epd. Stay tuned for the research articles.......

How about you just start posting something informative and helpful to others and we can all benefit. ;-)

FYI:
While at the Holstein action the other day I was talking to some old timers about prices and when was the best time to sell calves. ( While they made cedar shavings out of a tree )
Of course the first round of discussion was " according to the Almanac "
The second was "when the new grass is 1 in. high.

Now here is a new one even I have never heard before, that came up.
" When you see the first daffodil in full bloom."
I saw my first daffodil in full bloom on Feb. 15,.
I sold 2 Holstein class 3 steers with an average weight of 525lbs for $1.205

The last 2 I sold 2 months ago, same age, class and weight, brought $ .90 per lb.

SO SEE: It must be flower power that sets the price.
Now lets watch to see what happens to price when the tulips are in full bloom.

SL

I hope something blooms overnight. I dropped two really nice 2 year old heifers in Meridian yesterday and had them preg checked.

If I get the bottom end of last week's price band, it should be a decent day.

backhoeboogie

In Texas I thing it is when the Blue Bonnets come into full bloom.
You might want to check that before you sell any more.
I'm pulling 11 nice looking Black Angus calves to the action tomorrow for my neighbor.
With these prices I wouldn't be surprised if the steers bring $ 2.75.
I'll let you know.
SL

backhoeboogie":22mxdk5t said:
I hope something blooms overnight. I dropped two really nice 2 year old heifers in Meridian yesterday and had them preg checked.

If I get the bottom end of last week's price band, it should be a decent day.

One heifer was out of an F1 dam Char/Brah cross. Brangus sired. Lots of ear. She weighed 975, 3 months bred, and sold for $1200.

The other heifer was out of a commercial angus dam. Also Brangus sired but short on ear. 3 months older than the first, 970 lbs, 4 months bred, sold for $1100.

I was pleased. Don't know who bought them but they got some decent animals.

Latest posts