Almanac weaning for March?

Help Support CattleToday:

angus9259

Reaction score
What's the Almanac say for weaning dates for March?

Hate this time of year . . . .

I use a calendar i got from the bank i try and wean or castrate as far from the heart as i can, in the feet if i can. All this may be crazy but it works for me(at least i think it does). According to the calendar Mar 13th till Mar 21 is in the legs down 19th 20th 21st in the feet.

Re:
Where can you find the signs? In the book at the stores or on a website?
A. Both.
Here is one of many sites on the web.
http://cafeastrology.com/articles/howtoobtainchart.html

You may also want to try using a Ouija board or fortune cookie.?

OK, seriously now, for maximum profit the best time to wean is at a time that coordinates with a sale date when the new spring grass, in your area, is ½ to 1 in high. That is when demand, hence price, will be at it's highest.
SL

Sir Loin":2p5wz2eu said:
OK, seriously now, for maximum profit the best time to wean is at a time that coordinates with a sale date when the new spring grass, in your area, is ½ to 1 in high. That is when demand, hence price, will be at it's highest.SL

Might be true if you're only driver is to take your calves to the sale barn.

Re:
True.
But if your intent is to keep them, then it's a no brainer.
Wean as 8 months of age, if momma doesn't wean them sooner.
SL

If you are going by the almanac, whether it be planting crops or weaning, or anything else, you are doing the right thing in my opinion.

Traditionally, everyone in my family weaned when the signs were in the knees and I have followed that method.

Kind of hard to wean off nurse calves at "8 months of age" when your wanting to graft more after 3 months.

Sir Loin":xtszi1ce said:
Re:
True.
But if your intent is to keep them, then it's a no brainer.
Wean as 8 months of age, if momma doesn't wean them sooner.
SL

Depends on your feed situation and what you need to do with the mommas.

backhoeboogie

Re:
Traditionally, everyone in my family weaned when the signs were in the knees and I have followed that method.
I have never seen any correlation between the signs and market price.
Explain to me how you correlate " the signs" for weaning with market forces if you wean on wheels.
And what do you do if sale day does not correlate to the almanac if you wean on wheels?
What does the almanac say about March cattle prices? Specifically: a 600 lb black baldy steers ?

Kind of hard to wean off nurse calves at "8 months of age" when your wanting to graft more after 3 months.
If that were the case then 9259 wouldn't even be asking the question, as he would already know when he was going to wean. 3 months, RIGHT?

SL

Re:
Depends on your feed situation and what you need to do with the mommas.
True, and it also may depend on your need for cash. (cash flow )
SL

SL, I wean on wheels sometimes. Nothing to do with the almanac at that time or me being Capricorn. I don't know of any correlation with sale barn prices either.

Retained heifers aren't weaned on wheels. Stocker steers aren't either.

This year there will be many weaned right there in the pasture. Need to get the herd back to size so heifers will be retained. Probably going to have more grass than I can use so it will likely be grazed versus selling steers.

Maybe it is a joke to some. I see it as a ligit question (this thread).

I do not read my horror scope. I do plant and perform farm work per the almanac when permitted by circumstance.

Sir Loin":1wxdvwdh said:
backhoeboogie

Re:I have never seen any correlation between the signs and market price.

There isn't. But there's a sale every Tuesday. I can wait a week or wean a week early if it lines up with the Almanac. Prices at the salebarn won't change that much in a week.

If that were the case then 9259 wouldn't even be asking the question, as he would already know when he was going to wean. 3 months, RIGHT?

Again - 3 months plus or minus a week.

SL

The Almanac doesn't dictate what I do, it informs it.

I can wean any time in March - but need to wean in March. I use the Almanac in the event it actually reduces weaning stress. If I have a couple dates, I'll try for those dates but if I don't know the dates, I can't make that decision. If there were no dates in March, I'd still wean in March for my other reasons. I always use the data, but don't let it use me.

angus9259":3ny6qk4b said:
I can wean any time in March - but need to wean in March. I use the Almanac in the event it actually reduces weaning stress. If I have a couple dates, I'll try for those dates but if I don't know the dates, I can't make that decision. If there were no dates in March, I'd still wean in March for my other reasons. I always use the data, but don't let it use me.

Nice position to take.

No matter how hard you try to do the right things, somebody here is going to twist it into a lose/lose situation. Maybe even point out a mistake you made 3 years back.

Is this thread for real? Bunch of carnivores on here jump on a feller for sayin organic or something like that and you are using an almanac for weaning predictions!

I need to summon the almighty, all-knowing, and mensa member Doc Harris to lecture you all on how unscientific this almanac is and how he is developing a weaning time epd that is DNA tested. Double down university researched with a smathering of textbook lingo to convince all small minded cattlemen of its unquestionable truth!

Scroote

I'm not sure what you said, but you sure say it well.
Re: " jump on a feller for sayin organic " Not me! If you can identify a niche market and can make money selling to hippie sheeple, I say go for it!!

Now here's the bottom line people.
Whether you like it or not, HELLO, you are suppose to be businessmen doing your very best to make a PROFIT!
Only PROFIT should be your guiding light!
Period, case closed.
SL

Latest posts