All's well at my place this evening.......

Help Support CattleToday:

Nowland Farms

Reaction score
A bit after supper this eveing I had rode the 4 wheeler over to the neighbors farm to watch the custom baler rake hay. When I left, I rode thru my pasture to check on the cows for one last time today.

While checking the cows around 7pm, I noticed #228 (2nd time cow) had the water bag hangin out so I backed off and rode the 4 wheeler back to the house. Once at the house, I got the Binoculars so I could watch her from a distance not to spook her.

Returned to the field around 7:20 in the truck and parked about 150 yards away and begin to watch her. At 7:25 she laid down and begin to push. After about 5 minutes she had the front legs out about a foot or so and the hoofs were pointed down so I knew all was progressing well. She got up milled around for 5 or 10 minutes and then layed back down in the perfect position with her rear to me. After about 5 minutes of pushing and resting she popped the head out. Rested a bit and them spit the rest of the calf out. When I left the field a couple of minutes later, #228 was up and eating the sack and giving the baby a good cleaning.

I'll tag and have a good look at the calf in the morning.

I like to see them come this way. Let them OB chains and puller gather dust in the barn.

All is well at my place this evening.... well almost, there's that water leak to fix at the watering trough but tomorrow's another day........

Rod,

That is certainly a good evening!

I always love to hang around to see the baby get the first milk. Some things are priceless.

And they call this part time or hobby farmers,,,,,,,,the work never ends so how can it be part time or a hobby.

Good to hear good news for a change, congrats on the newbie.

Got to the pasture a bit after daylight and mamma and "little bull" were doing fine. Mamma was being protective of the little one.

Had to order part for the water valve on the tank.

Now if it will stay dry another day or two (gosh, did I just say that ????) so we can get the hay baled and into the barn.

Nowland, I know the feeling, I need to spray roundup around my fence lines and was wanting the rain to stop for a few days. We seem to forget just how bad we needed rain a few weeks back.
I have been waiting for a couple of weeks now for some hay to be cut for me, but the daily showers have made it impossible lately.