Allis Chalmers wd45

Help Support CattleToday:

AlyssasPride

Reaction score
Found one in decent shape needs new rear tires and a carb job. Decent price i am wanting it for hauling manure and snow blowing in the winter. Im told its a great haying tractor as well. Does anybody have experience and what do you think, what limitations have you found. And did you like the dual clutch. How is it with different implements. And advice would or info is greatly appreciated. Please note whether your experience is with the gas or diesel.

Thanks a lot. Brad

pretty bare bones machine
hyd werent that great and if using it for haying a 7 ft sickle mower will be all it wants, might pull a small square baler but won't do it to fast will pull a bar rake just fine
they are notorious for jumping out of 3rd gear to check and see if it does put it in 3rd and go full throttle for a little ways and then idle it down while still traveling and then throttle it back up don't push the clutch in while doing this also helps if you are headed down hill so the tranny gets some back pressure against it

I more or less wanted it for running a small manure spreader, a small star tedder and a rake, rear mount bale spear for square bales, and a snow blower for getting my lane open in the winter. Nothing fast or really hard my biggest concern is how it will handle a little star tedder.

AlyssasPride":27gofopl said:
I more or less wanted it for running a small manure spreader, a small star tedder and a rake, rear mount bale spear for square bales, and a snow blower for getting my lane open in the winter. Nothing fast or really hard my biggest concern is how it will handle a little star tedder.
should handle the tedder just fine
neighbor had a couple of them that he pulled the old AC round balers with the ones that made small round bales
the hand clutch is great because it is a hi lo with a nuetral in the middle

Angus Cowman":1r8hgt3m said:
AlyssasPride":1r8hgt3m said:
neighbor had a couple of them that he pulled the old AC round balers with the ones that made small round bales

It will handle the tedder fine. Just make sure the bull gears are full of oil and the rims arent rusted out.

As far as the hand clutch I THOUGHT it was just an in and out no high low. I used to have one but dont remember using it as a high or low?

JHH":2fs23ccp said:
Angus Cowman":2fs23ccp said:
AlyssasPride":2fs23ccp said:

It will handle the tedder fine. Just make sure the bull gears are full of oil and the rims arent rusted out.

As far as the hand clutch I THOUGHT it was just an in and out no high low. I used to have one but dont remember using it as a high or low?
Neighbor had a 45 and I raked hay with it when I was a kid we had a D15 maybe on the 45 it was just a hand clutch been many moons ago I know on the D-15 it was a high low

How easy would it be to change from a narrow front to the wide axle. I am asuming that the frame is the exact same

Those WD 45s were a tough tractor. 40 horsepower, will handle small square balers, mowers, rakes, whatever. The wide front will bolt on easily, problem is finding one.

I was able to find the wide front, is 450$ a fair price? It's in good shape just needs some paint and i think it could pass as new.

Here's a few listings. Click on the make and model or the picture for the location and other info.

http://www.tractorhouse.com/list/list.a ... mdlx=exact

My uncle had one in the late 60's and most of the 70's. Used it on the baler (JD 24T) for a couple of days when the 826 was down and it did fine. Other than that, it was mostly used on the blower and for some light tillage. Gas and wide front, but don't remember any other details. Had plenty of power for what we needed it for. Good luck.

Thanks everybody for your help and the information it helped a lot and is greatly appreciated.