Alleyway width???

Help Support CattleToday:

RiverHills

Reaction score
I'm trying to make a new adjustable alleyway on one of our farms. I'm wondering what width you all think is best for 1500 lb cows down to 500 lb calves.

Mine is not like this but I like a solid side that is made like a V, being narrow at the bottom and getting wider as you come up. It takes away the issue of adjusting the alley. I have to adjust mine to 28-30" for the cows and down to 15-18 for the calves.

kenny thomas":35pcc2nn said:
Mine is not like this but I like a solid side that is made like a V, being narrow at the bottom and getting wider as you come up. It takes away the issue of adjusting the alley. I have to adjust mine to 28-30" for the cows and down to 15-18 for the calves.

Kenny I thought about doing mine like this when I rebuild it. How wide at ground level? 12 inches? And then 28-30 inches at 4 foot or so?

JMJ Farms":2e0czjwj said:
kenny thomas":2e0czjwj said:

Kenny I thought about doing mine like this when I rebuild it. How wide at ground level? 12 inches? And then 28-30 inches at 4 foot or so?
I actually like it not to go all the way to the ground. Maybe down to 8" or so from the ground. Leaves room to clean them out or add gravel if needed. I would guess 15" at 8" from the ground would be good but im sure someone here knows for sure.

lavacarancher":smhy6efp said:
Someone on here as well as my helper on the ranch said 25" and that's what I built. Sure does look narrow for my girls.
I drop a cattle panel in mine and reduce mine to 26 inches they all fit through it is a little tight on a 2k bull.
At 28" amazing at the calves that can get turned around.

Caustic Burno":3vrnklzo said:
lavacarancher":3vrnklzo said:
Someone on here as well as my helper on the ranch said 25" and that's what I built. Sure does look narrow for my girls.
I drop a cattle panel in mine and reduce mine to 26 inches they all fit through it is a little tight on a 2k bull.
At 28" amazing at the calves that can get turned around.

28" on mine also. The calf turnaround problem is an issue. I was thinking of leaning a cattle panel in there at a slight angle to squeeze it down even more on one side. Make it like 18-20" at the ground and slowly taper out as it comes up. Going to try it on Friday when a gather up a load of calfs to work.

I have nearly 50' of race leading up to the chute, with a 180* turn in it, it isn't bad for calves turning around, seems its long enough that a group of them just stand there not knowing what's coming. Its only when I get down to the last couple that one may turn, and then I just turn him back around anyways.

Thanks everybody!!

I made mine 28 inches at the top and 18 inches at the bottom. I can lean it in for any size calf I'm running through it. I put plywood on the sides because without the plywood they would try climbing up the rails. :shock: Only problem is stopping them from backing up.

kenny thomas":2f29w4sw said:
I used to think that was a good way to go till I saw the results of a heavy bred getting down and they couldn't get it up in time. Squeezed her so tight she just slipped further down with each exhale and she suffocated before they could get the alley tore apart.

Latest posts