Allergy's

Help Support CattleToday:

A

Anonymous

Does anyone have any suggestions on what to do for a horse who gets a skin allergy in the summer. She litterly gets down on the ground and scratches her belly raw. It clears up in the winter so I am assuming it is from bug bites. I fly spray her at least once a day. I tried keeping her in at night and then in the day. She has fans in her stall. I keep her bathed with a good shampoo, etc. The vet said we could try allergy shots but she wasn't sure it would be worth it at this point. She doesn't want to use Prednisone as long as I can keep it somewhat under control. I added flax seed to her diet last fall and am hoping this will help. Any other suggestions?

[email protected]

If you're not showing this horse, I wouldn't bath it regularly, maybe once a month if that. Any of my horses that aren't in the show ring don't get bathed (only if it rains). The horses have natural oils and stuff in the skin and hair for protection. Another question... is your horse having reactions to the fly spray?? Also check the paddock. Is the horse having reactions to something in it? Maybe a weed? Type of grass?

> Does anyone have any suggestions
> on what to do for a horse who gets
> a skin allergy in the summer. She
> litterly gets down on the ground
> and scratches her belly raw. It
> clears up in the winter so I am
> assuming it is from bug bites. I
> fly spray her at least once a day.
> I tried keeping her in at night
> and then in the day. She has fans
> in her stall. I keep her bathed
> with a good shampoo, etc. The vet
> said we could try allergy shots
> but she wasn't sure it would be
> worth it at this point. She
> doesn't want to use Prednisone as
> long as I can keep it somewhat
> under control. I added flax seed
> to her diet last fall and am
> hoping this will help. Any other
> suggestions? I thought bathing was an issue so stopped but that did no good. I also thought that the fly spray was a problem and didn't use as much. That wasn't it. I hadn't thought of an allergy to a weed but how would I ever be able to figure out which weed? Any information would be greatly appreciated.

[email protected]

Get a sample of weeds and take them to a feed anaylsis place. Phone or talk to an equine nutritionist if anything. maybe they might have an idea

Latest posts