Allergic Reaction

Help Support CattleToday:

randiliana

Reaction score
Well, I am feeling pretty good this morning, after a late night run to the local hospital. Probably wouldn't have gone, but it is an hour to the nearest emergency, and better safe than sorry. I had been having problems with a rash for the last couple days, but yesterday afternoon it started to go past the rash stage. My ears and the glands?? behind them started to swell, by supper my eyes were swelling and the sides of my face puffed up too. Started to make me nervous, so rather than wait til today (the earliest doctors appointment I could get was 2:30 Thursday afternoon) I figured I had better get looked at.

The doctor said that I would probably never know exactly what happened, and that if I hadn't already had breathing problems (which I never did have) then the odds were that I wouldn't. He still wants to see me this afternoon to see how the meds he gave me are working. And they are working. I'm almost back to normal (although pretty itchy) One eye is still a bit swollen, but behind the ears is down about 2/3. Those anithistamines started to work in less than 10 minutes I could feel the swelling going down!!

My sister used to do that when she got around nettles and cedar. Especially nettles. I have discovered that I am allergic to sycamore. I guess it is the pollen or sap or something. Steve was out trimming it and I was picking up the limbs and I got really stuffy, eyes watering, coughing, sneezing. Once I put everything down I got better.

I am glad you are feeling better.

Glad you are improving and can take antihistamines. I have an allergic reaction to antihistamines which is really odd. I was prescribed some once and shortly after taking them my face and neck swelled up and I could barely breathe. My husband and I were dating at the time and had been watching a movie at his apartment. He rushed me to the hospital. I was put on IV with a saline solution and had a tube shoved down my throat to try to keep me breathing. It was scary because the doctor kept looking a little nervous saying "We usually give antihistamines for allergic reactions..." so I knew there was nothing they could really do. That was one of the reasons I married my husband though. He sat with me through the whole night in the hospital and loved me even when I looked like a marshmallow. :lol:

Hopefully whatever did you in you don't run into again.

Boy that can be scary. because we live so far from a doctor and sometimes we don't have doctors or emergency i now have an epi pen.
Just went through that this week to.

Thanks everyone. It is rather scary, and with all the hospital closures here things can get rather nerve wracking. One reason that we go if we have any sort of a bad feeling about something. Better to go early and not have needed to than to be late and have something serious happen.

Glad that everything turned out OK for you Victoria, you have a wonderful husband ;-)

randiliana":1sw6ivwr said:
Thanks everyone. It is rather scary, and with all the hospital closures here things can get rather nerve wracking. One reason that we go if we have any sort of a bad feeling about something. Better to go early and not have needed to than to be late and have something serious happen.

Glad that everything turned out OK for you Victoria, you have a wonderful husband ;-)

I am glad you're doing well too. Allergic reactions can be quite scary. What is this you mention about "hospital closures"? It seems not too long ago, maybe during Clinton's reign, that the U.S. was considering modeling its healthcare sytstem after Canada's system. I think Hillary was ramrodding it at the time. However, closing hospitals doesn't seem like a good role model to me. Could you elaborate on that please?

Glad to hear you are feeling better.
Hate those late night runs to the hospital, but sometimes they are worth it.

Victoria try being allergic to sun burns and metal, all kinds except gold. Hope I never break a bone that needs pins.

docgraybull":4sbkppe2 said:
I am glad you're doing well too. Allergic reactions can be quite scary. What is this you mention about "hospital closures"? It seems not too long ago, maybe during Clinton's reign, that the U.S. was considering modeling its healthcare sytstem after Canada's system. I think Hillary was ramrodding it at the time. However, closing hospitals doesn't seem like a good role model to me. Could you elaborate on that please?

The government has been closing hospitals in the more rural areas here for a # of years. It sucks, but considering that there is a pretty low population it is somewhat understandable. Add to that the shortage of nurses and doctors and there are hospitals that are open, but they don't have enough staff, or in some cases even a doctor. We have a health care facility about 20 minutes away, but it is only open during normal office hours (basically it is a doctors office). For an emergency after hours you have to drive an hour, or call 911 and wait an hour for them to get to your place. We are fortunate in that we have some wonderful doctors that are willing to live out here, but they are over-run with patients. A doctors appointment can often mean 3-4 hours of down time, because they are so busy.

Sounds familar. The local hospital now turned nursing home is just 30 minutes away, but 99% of the people head for the big city hospital instead. If you have an emergancy you might as well drive yourself in or wait an hour to get there and hope the Dr. is there.

I luv herfrds":4hcmupi1 said:
Sounds familar. The local hospital now turned nursing home is just 30 minutes away, but 99% of the people head for the big city hospital instead. If you have an emergancy you might as well drive yourself in or wait an hour to get there and hope the Dr. is there.

That is exactly it. All the local hospitals are nursing homes, and now in an emergency, you have to go an hour. And you'd better call first or the doctor might be quite a while getting there after you do.

Glad you're OK, Randi. Did something bite or sting you? I got stung by a wasp years ago and thought I was having a heart attack or something about 15 min later. Realized it was the sting when my arm started to swell up pretty bad where she stung me. By the time I got to the hospital, my body's defenses had taken over, but they gave me a shot of adrenaline just to be sure. Best high I've ever had, and I've had a few in my younger days. ;-)

I also tend to have skin reactions to certain things, usually when I least expect it. Nothing even close to life threatening, but can be pretty uncomforatable sometimes. Last time was about a month ago from handling treated lumber. My hands and forearms are just now starting to look normal again.

I am not sure what it was. Could have been an insect, the bug spray or possibly some weed that was in the hay I was cutting. Doctor said I might never know for sure.