Allergic reaction to A180

Help Support CattleToday:

Corey

Reaction score
I have a beefmaster steer that was not progressing very fast and his weight was going up and down. I had talked to the vet several weeks ago about this and he said give him a shot of penicilin, so I did. He still was not coming around as of yesterday( slow and not wanting to eat) so I stoped and talked with the vet again. He gave me a shot of B12 and A180 and said give that to him and lets see how it goes. I gave the shots as directed and in about 2 min. the steer started a allergic reaction. Falling down, sweelling, mouth foaming labored breathing the whole horrible show. Vet said come get these other shots and give to him ASAP. I did( it took about 45 min to get it done, had to run to town to his place) and this morning he seems alot better, Except for alittle slow and stove up. I think everything will be fine. I was just woundering what I could do to get him back on track and be sure that his stomac gets back right. any help would be great.

He is 11 months old and is going approx. 700lbs, his half brother is the same going approx. 1000lbs. We are going to slauther at 1200lbs.

Vet said this reaction is very rare and if we do have to treat him again we will only use Penicilin.

That fast a reaction sound like anaphylactic (sp) shock. For years we kept a bottle of epinephrine, any way if I remember correctly that's what it was, for just that problem. In 40 plus years we never had a problem, but a neighbor did and lost a cow from it.

dun

That is what one of these shots was. Dont know what the other was because of all the confusion at the time. I was just woundering about what I could do from here out to help this guy out and get him back gaining weight.

Was the medicine colder than at least room temperature? I did that to a holstein once. Didn't wait till the dose was warm and she dropped like an 1800lb rock. Like Dun, I always have a bottle of epinephrine on hand.

Yes it was cold came right from the fridge. I never thought about that. Boy do I feel dumb. I am pretty new at this only couple of years but I should have known better then that.

That's OK!!! Read through the "worst mistakes" thread. You can get a good laugh from most all of us!

Boy do I feel dumb. I am pretty new at this only couple of years but I should have known better then that.

I read those the other day and did get a chuckel. We all make mistakes and that is what makes life interesting. I have been reviewing this board daily for awhile and MOST of the people on here seem to GREAT PEOPLE. It is always nice to know that there is help, with experience, at your finger tips. Have learned alot from this board and IMO it is #1.

Corey":2toqcogd said:
That is what one of these shots was. Dont know what the other was because of all the confusion at the time. I was just woundering about what I could do from here out to help this guy out and get him back gaining weight.

You might try B12 and back him off the grain ration a little. That's about all I can think of.

dun

Corey":6m5lu3ud said:
I had talked to the vet several weeks ago about this and he said give him a shot of penicilin........so I stoped and talked with the vet again. He gave me a shot of B12 and A180 and said give that to him and lets see how it goes.

I'm curious as to the bacterial infection your vet diagnosed to justify prescribing the antibiotics? Like Dun and Missi have said, the ep is very cheap insurance to have on hand!

Diagnosis given at office, steer in field! I guess he just assumed based on what I told him was happening that this would be the best. He is very helpful and I have built a good relationship with him so i'll rely on his judgement until , well you know.

Yes i've learned a lesson and the old addage of an ounce of prevention is worth..........

Corey":kpq2hm4n said:
Diagnosis given at office, steer in field!
Understood. We all do it to them on a regular basis. Its amazing the things we expect from our Doctors of Veterinary Medicine that we wouldn't dream of asking our MD's for!

I was just woundering what I could do to get him back on track and be sure that his stomac gets back right. any help would be great.

I figured that with all the stress and meds that his guts will not be right for a while. Am I just overly cautious or is this right. If so what would be some suggestions to help him out.

Dun do you think an addtional B12 shot would be needed he just got 6cc lest than 24 hours ago

Is he eating at all? If so try some Fast trak mixed in with his feed. They even make a paste if he won't eat at all.

My show calves go off feed every now and again from the stress of the trucking etc. I use Vita Charge paste on them. Gets those rumen bugs going right quick. Most any mill should have that stuff.

Corey":1bckan8b said:
I was just woundering what I could do to get him back on track and be sure that his stomac gets back right. any help would be great.

I figured that with all the stress and meds that his guts will not be right for a while. Am I just overly cautious or is this right. If so what would be some suggestions to help him out.

Dun do you think an addtional B12 shot would be needed he just got 6cc lest than 24 hours ago

More B12 probably won't do much. The main thing you need to deterine is what was the original problem that got this whole mess started. If the steer was on a very high grain diet it could have been as simple as a digestive upset. Some cattle just can't handle that hot of a diet. They require some roughage no matter what other part of their ration is. But the catch is that it takes different rumen flora to digest roughage and grain. It takes several weeks for the proper bugs to get going after a feed change from one type of feed to another. Don't know what you've been feeding, amounts etc.
You need to nail down the original problem then go from there.

dun

Dun you are one Smart Man. The vet called to check up on the situation and basicly told me the same thing. His point was that I had just switched him to a grain diet over the last few weeks that maybe he was not taking too well to the amount. I told him that the other 2 I have( His 1/2 brother and an angusxsomething) were doing fine. He said that every animal is different and to back him way down and start back up more slowly.

Corey":1lgqie64 said:
Dun you are one Smart Man. The vet called to check up on the situation and basicly told me the same thing. His point was that I had just switched him to a grain diet over the last few weeks that maybe he was not taking too well to the amount. I told him that the other 2 I have( His 1/2 brother and an angusxsomething) were doing fine. He said that every animal is different and to back him way down and start back up more slowly.

Lucky guess. Even a blind hog finds an acorn one in a while

dun

Make sure he's got a magnet in him, too. You might try some probios, as well.

Latest posts