All purpose Bull.

Help Support CattleToday:

tjmdo

Reaction score
I recently watched an informative video on bulls and epds. They mentioned that the most desirable bull is an all purpose bull. I get what that means with respect to heifer breeding with good growth but what is an all purpose bull really? He didn't expand much on epds or phenotype.

How about a well balanced bull that's above breed average on nearly all traits?

Hoover Elation at Select Sires is average or above for 20 of 25 traits and I would consider him to be all purpose
because he is well proven and won't hurt you in either maternal or carcass traits (and that's a rare occurrence)
https://selectsiresbeef.com/index.php/b ... ge?bid=344

ced 15 top 3%
bw -1.5 10% .80 accuracy
ww top 40%
yw 20%

radg 25%
dmi 40%

sc 25%
doc 3%
hp 1%
cem 3%
milk 23 (55%)
mh 50%
$EN -5.83 (60%)

cw 45%
marb 35%
re 40%
$W 35%
$F 10%
$G 45%
$QG 30%
$B 125 top 35%

My all purpose bull would be at or no more then 10% above breed average for any trait. Problem is some cows may need an udder or foot or leg or barrel or etc. bull if you retain replacements,

Son of Butch":2w236920 said:
dun":2w236920 said:
My all purpose bull would be at or no more then 10% above breed average for any trait.
yes... top 1% hp are just too fertile and top 3% docility are just too gentle... after all what is life without struggle
Think balance.

I think the point is to not neglect and go backward in a bunch of traits to make advances in another trait... Going for phenomenal growth numbers at the cost of calving ease would be one example... better to go more moderate on the growth and at least hold your position on the calving ease and other traits.

Latest posts