All, please take the time to read this.

Help Support CattleToday:

Sir Loin

Reaction score
Safety ALWAYS comes first.
If you learn nothing else from reading my posts, learn this: Safety ALWAYS comes first.
I would much rather read about you and your cattle on this here board then in your local newspaper under obituary.

People, cattle are NOT pets no matter how much we love and care for them, they are very dangerous animals, please understand that.

While cattle primarily cause nonfatal injuries, they can kill. Over a four-year period in Wisconsin, cattle were responsible for killing 25 people, and over a six-year period in Kentucky, cattle caused 4 percent of all farming deaths. To provide a better under- standing of the types of injuries that occur and their causes, Table 3 lists l 8 of the 57 cattle-inflicted injuries reported in North Dakota over a one-year period.
Table 3. Some Serious Cattle-lnflicted Injuries Reported in North Dakota in a One-Year Period
1. Broken back (knocked down by cow and squashed to the ground)
2. Arm broken in many places (bull attacked all-terrain vehicle and flipped it)
3. Severely bruised leg (kicked by cow)
4. Broken ribs (gate not closed tight and cow pushed it open and ran over person)
5. Sprained and bruised foot (steer charged person and stepped on his foot)
6. Broken nose (kicked by cow)
7. Separated shoulder (caught between two gates by a cow)
8. Broken leg (run over by a cow from behind when chasing cows out of a pen)
9. Concussion and injured face (twice kicked by cow)
l0. Severe internal injuries (kicked by calf in trailer) )
11. Bruised neck and face (knocked down by cow and stepped on)
12. Broken jaw and loss of consciousness (kicked by cow)
13. Fractured hand (cow attacked person so he punched her)
14. Ruptured disks in back ("butted" in the back by a bull)
15. Bruised thigh and ribs (cow pushed person against a barn wall)
16. Fractured hip (knocked over by cows coming in different barn door)
17. Fractured collarbone (mauled by cow after delivery of her calf)
18. Internal injuries (kicked by cow)
These are probably just the tip of the iceberg since hundreds of injuries go unre- ported, making injury prevention one of the most significant benefits of improving beef cattle handling practices and working facilities, it is also good business.
Source: http://www.bae.ncsu.edu/programs/extens ... y/cow.html

Please take the time to read this entire website; there may be something in it that just might save your life.
Go to: http://www.bae.ncsu.edu/programs/extens ... y/cow.html

Sir Loin":2agv6yus said:
Safety ALWAYS comes first.
If you learn nothing else from reading my posts, learn this: Safety ALWAYS comes first.
I would much rather read about you and your cattle on this here board then in your local newspaper under obituary.

People, cattle are NOT pets no matter how much we love and care for them, they are very dangerous animals, please understand that.

While cattle primarily cause nonfatal injuries, they can kill. Over a four-year period in Wisconsin, cattle were responsible for killing 25 people, and over a six-year period in Kentucky, cattle caused 4 percent of all farming deaths. To provide a better under- standing of the types of injuries that occur and their causes, Table 3 lists l 8 of the 57 cattle-inflicted injuries reported in North Dakota over a one-year period.
Table 3. Some Serious Cattle-lnflicted Injuries Reported in North Dakota in a One-Year Period
1. Broken back (knocked down by cow and squashed to the ground)
2. Arm broken in many places (bull attacked all-terrain vehicle and flipped it)
3. Severely bruised leg (kicked by cow)
4. Broken ribs (gate not closed tight and cow pushed it open and ran over person)
5. Sprained and bruised foot (steer charged person and stepped on his foot)
6. Broken nose (kicked by cow)
7. Separated shoulder (caught between two gates by a cow)
8. Broken leg (run over by a cow from behind when chasing cows out of a pen)
9. Concussion and injured face (twice kicked by cow)
l0. Severe internal injuries (kicked by calf in trailer) )
11. Bruised neck and face (knocked down by cow and stepped on)
12. Broken jaw and loss of consciousness (kicked by cow)
13. Fractured hand (cow attacked person so he punched her)
14. Ruptured disks in back ("butted" in the back by a bull)
15. Bruised thigh and ribs (cow pushed person against a barn wall)
16. Fractured hip (knocked over by cows coming in different barn door)
17. Fractured collarbone (mauled by cow after delivery of her calf)
18. Internal injuries (kicked by cow)
These are probably just the tip of the iceberg since hundreds of injuries go unre- ported, making injury prevention one of the most significant benefits of improving beef cattle handling practices and working facilities, it is also good business.
Source: http://www.bae.ncsu.edu/programs/extens ... y/cow.html

Please take the time to read this entire website; there may be something in it that just might save your life.

I feel this was for me :lol: :oops: :oops: :lol: Thank you i get the hint!!!

Sir Loin":22o1uvai said:

thanks
this is a good one and it has been added to my favorites and I intend to read it over and over
(and would like to have some family members memorize it (suppose I can make that happen :roll: ))

I used to have a cabinet shop with several employees.
When they came through the door every morning there was a sign that greeted them. Your going to get hurt it's a matter of when.
The same would apply to anyone with cattle, even more.
I should have saved that sign for my squeeze chute.

And a special word of warning to you ladies.

It is not that uncommon for cattle to attempt to mount their human care giver.
Particularly you ladies at certain times of the month.
If you are ever close to any animal with a Flehmen response (curling of the upper lip with the head raised) get away fast.
SL

Thanks for that Sir Loin. I too have it saved in my favorites to print off and read over and over.

Oh, and the mounting thing...yeah, I've had that happen to me once before, by an overly freindly steer. I was fortunate that I was quick enough to sense danger and get out of the way fast before his 900# body settled onto my shoulders. :shock:

If you are ever close to any animal with a Flehmen response (curling of the upper lip with the head raised) get away fast.

Oh my gosh. I didn't know that!

Thanks.

All we can do is make are cattle as tame as possible but like you said they are not pets but many of those events Im sure where around cattle not use to being around people and or where not in contact much in the pasture My cattle being a small herd I can walk the pastures that there in and pat pretty much all of them I do look over my shoulder to keep safe I know in a split second these animals can go from eating out of my hands to trying to survive by attacking me So in my opinion all we can do is have respect for these animals and hope they have some respect back

pbnewbie":2nhp7gel said:

Oh my gosh. I didn't know that!

Thanks.

When my mother first took over the cows on of our male neighbours was trying to delicately give her advice on this subject. When you are out with your cattle, especially around bulls don't use Always, stick to Tampax, it is much safer.

vs_cattle":1vcv0xnq said:
All we can do is make are cattle as tame as possible but like you said they are not pets but many of those events Im sure where around cattle not use to being around people and or where not in contact much in the pasture My cattle being a small herd I can walk the pastures that there in and pat pretty much all of them I do look over my shoulder to keep safe I know in a split second these animals can go from eating out of my hands to trying to survive by attacking me So in my opinion all we can do is have respect for these animals and hope they have some respect back

A lot of those probably were by cattle that were not used to being handled. BUT, don't fool yourself, just because your cattle are used to being handled means NOTHING. Many of the injuries were from kicks, if you have ever sorted cattle, tame or wild, you will have been kicked at. If you are in their blind spot and you surprise them, if she thinks you are too close, if she thinks you are going to smack her, if you swing the gate up behind them too quickly. Those are all reasons they might kick.

Here is one very important reminder, when sorting cattle into different pens, NEVER, EVER, throw the gate closed. I have seen it done, and when the cow kicks it (before it latches) and it comes back about 10 times as hard at you, you will end up with something hurt. If you are lucky it will be a bruise, if not, picture broken teeth, broken nose, broken arms or all of the above. Gates can be pretty dangerous. Even if you are holding them you can get smashed in the face if a cow kicks.

The main rule of handling (or for that matter being around) cattle should be 'Be aware of your surroundings at all times, pay attention to what is behind you'.

My things must be getting slow or very boring if posts need to be brought back to life after 3&1/2 months have gone by.Enough more me this week off for my 5 mile run.

hillsdown":3vdu4zx8 said:
My things must be getting slow or very boring if posts need to be brought back to life after 3&1/2 months have gone by.Enough more me this week off for my 5 mile run.

Yeah, I don't understand why this thread was brought up again.

Re:
Yeah, I don't understand why this thread was brought up again.

Reason 1.
It was mentioned on another thread (Not to beat a dead horse, but).
Reason 2.
As we are always getting new members I thought it would make some good reading for them.
Reason 3.
It took me (a body of water confined by a barrier) near an hour to find it and I didn't want to go through all that BS again if anyone wished to pursue the issue.

OK?
lolol.gif

SL

Always good to educate some of the folks that were not raised in a cow environment and to remind some of us old buzzards that have an occasional slip of memory.
I went dancing with cows a few weeks back...had one of my favorites, real dostile three year old, just walk up and step on my foot...and the dance was on! Know better just let my guard down.
The swelling has gone down some and the bones are aligned OK, still can't get a boot on....feel funny wearing sandles.
And that's my two bits worth...asked for or not....Dmc

Latest posts