all natural beef cheaters

Help Support CattleToday:

joe

Reaction score
I had the pleasure today of hauling a load of calves 120 miles to a salebarn for a guy I somewhat know. he hauled one load himself. At the sale barn he signs a sheet that says his calves are all natural, no antibiotics, hormones, etc. I was at his place a little over a month ago while he was cutting his bull calves, and watched as he gave them each a shot of penicilan (sp), in the butt before he turned them out. this is not right, and I am not a tattle tale type, but I feel this needs to be brought to someones attention. But who's? I mentioed it to the gentleman himself, and he laughed, and said him and his brothers sign the sheet no matter what, just to get more money. I gave the guy at the salebarn a look, that he either didn't recieve, or chose to ignore. Do I call USDA?

joe":3v6dxgju said:
I had the pleasure today of hauling a load of calves 120 miles to a salebarn for a guy I somewhat know. he hauled one load himself. At the sale barn he signs a sheet that says his calves are all natural, no antibiotics, hormones, etc. I was at his place a little over a month ago while he was cutting his bull calves, and watched as he gave them each a shot of penicilan (sp), in the butt before he turned them out. this is not right, and I am not a tattle tale type, but I feel this needs to be brought to someones attention. But who's? I mentioed it to the gentleman himself, and he laughed, and said him and his brothers sign the sheet no matter what, just to get more money. I gave the guy at the salebarn a look, that he either didn't recieve, or chose to ignore. Do I call USDA?

Too bad you don't know who bought the calves- put a word in his ear....I think telling USDA would just be an act of frustration as they are so overloaded in bureacracy- but you might try...Not sure if it is a criminal violation under federal law- definitely a civil misrepresentation of a product to the buyer tho.....You may have better luck contacting your State Dept. of Livestock.....

This type of activity affects us all-- the cheaters lower the price we all get paid for cattle- especially sales barn cattle....If these calves are later slaughtered thru an all natural program and test positive for antibiotic residue it will mean less profit for the feeder- which will make him much more hesitant to spend as much the next time he buys cattle.....

This is the reason many feeders and buyers will not buy from a sales barn and buy only directly from people they know....And if you screw them once- they won't be buying from you the next time.....

The first thing you need to know is he isn't much of a cattleman. 1. He is a liar 2. He gives shots in the round. If you proclaim to produce beef why would you give shots in the round. 3. Blanket shots of antibiotics build up immunity so that when they do need it, it is not responsive. Just bad practice.

How old were the calves when he castrated them?

Latest posts