All my ash trees are cooked

Help Support CattleToday:

Farm Fence Solutions

Reaction score
We first spotted damage from the Emerald Ash Borer three years ago. I can't find a single Ash tree without bore holes and white patches of bark. I'll cut most of it for firewood, but might have a good bit of it sawn. Such a shame.....

Woods over all look unhealthy to me. I'm obviously not a forester, but I even notice it. I should probably have somebody come here, and mark what needs to go, I just don't want the mess.

Bigfoot":2572cb6k said:
Woods over all look unhealthy to me. I'm obviously not a forester, but I even notice it. I should probably have somebody come here, and mark what needs to go, I just don't want the mess.

I agree. Poplars are all but wiped out too. We only have 12 acres or so of woods, and it all looks awfull.

Farm Fence Solutions":11z1lbld said:
Bigfoot":11z1lbld said:

I agree. Poplars are all but wiped out too. We only have 12 acres or so of woods, and it all looks awfull.

Well. Let's make it 3 for 3. The woods look sick.

They are saying it will be here in 2-3 years. Just had 40 acres of hardwoods marked and my #1 goal was to pull all merchantable ash. I'm hoping that if I time it right the ash will be repopulating when the beetle goes through the area and maybe my kids will still be able to enjoy the white ash here. Seems like a long shot though.

artesianspringsfarm":1czb9hd8 said:
They are saying it will be here in 2-3 years. Just had 40 acres of hardwoods marked and my #1 goal was to pull all merchantable ash. I'm hoping that if I time it right the ash will be repopulating when the beetle goes through the area and maybe my kids will still be able to enjoy the white ash here. Seems like a long shot though.

They kill the saplings. Without saplings, I see no chance to repopulate.

Bright Raven":9y3gl7qc said:
artesianspringsfarm":9y3gl7qc said:

They kill the saplings. Without saplings, I see no chance to repopulate.

My Forrester says they will Kill all if they infest an area but they may not infest an area if there are no mature trees. Like I said, I don't hold much hope but I'm taking everything 10"+ in the next 2 years off our woods. Makes me sad to do it but the woods do need opening up anyway.

Bigfoot":2mqwfwdi said:

I have cut some big dead ash trees between me and the neighbor to save the fence (he and I went in together and had a fence built). A couple were big enough for saw logs. The wood is mined out right into the heart in the form of bore holes. The trees were dead and the wood was funky, it might make firewood but it did not seem to be of timber quality.

Farm Fence Solutions":2hvxjbhj said:
We first spotted damage from the Emerald Ash Borer three years ago. I can't find a single Ash tree without bore holes and white patches of bark. I'll cut most of it for firewood, but might have a good bit of it sawn. Such a shame.....

The bore holes might give it an interesting pattern in the sawn timber.

Ken

If its anything other than just under the bark it's more than just the Emerald ash borer. And yes I am a Forester. Salvage what you can because by the time you notice it at all the damage has been done. Some of the experts seem to think that in the future there will be a balance between the borer and something that is an enemy to the borer and there will be some to survive. I lost probably 20 ash the first year it hit here but have one that hasnt been touched. Something is different with it but we dont know enough about it yet to say what.

Bright Raven":146xpy9k said:
Bigfoot":146xpy9k said:

I have cut some big dead ash trees between me and the neighbor to save the fence (he and I went in together and had a fence built). A couple were big enough for saw logs. The wood is mined out right into the heart in the form of bore holes. The trees were dead and the wood was funky, it might make firewood but it did not seem to be of timber quality.
doty?

Trees dying don't bother me. I've killed thousands and aren't going to stop.

greybeard":26p7mkd6 said:
Bright Raven":26p7mkd6 said:
Bigfoot":26p7mkd6 said:

doty?

X2.. different tree I reckon but I spray ,doze and cut trees non-stop if I turn my back on something a few years they're back.
I cut down a white ash tree off a golf course several years ago. Stinkiest wood I ever burned. Made a good fire , just stunk up the house . I'll stick with live oak.
Mesquite makes a good fire and good for cooking as long as you stay away from trees with the bore holes.
I hoard pecan for BBQ .

greybeard":3dvd6l1y said:
Bright Raven":3dvd6l1y said:
Bigfoot":3dvd6l1y said:

doty?

Yes. Doty is a better word for it. These along the property line were nice trees. Good shade for his cows and mine.

kenny thomas":1rdlh433 said:
If its anything other than just under the bark it's more than just the Emerald ash borer. And yes I am a Forester. Salvage what you can because by the time you notice it at all the damage has been done. Some of the experts seem to think that in the future there will be a balance between the borer and something that is an enemy to the borer and there will be some to survive. I lost probably 20 ash the first year it hit here but have one that hasnt been touched. Something is different with it but we dont know enough about it yet to say what.

I wondered about that. I sawed two of these into wood for a friend that had both hips just replaced. When I was sawing, I thought the holes were different that what was just an inch or so under the bark.

Edited to add: there must be 50 dead white ash on this farm. I don't see any that are not bored.

All of the green ash in this area have been pretty much wiped out but last year I found a small stand of a half dozen 4 inch trees that seem to be doing fine with no blemishes.

I work on a fence every few days from falling ash trees and limbs. It is pretty dangerous going under what is left of those big trees and fixing a fence from the falling limbs.

jltrent":1b7x4ran said:
I work on a fence every few days from falling ash trees and limbs. It is pretty dangerous going under what is left of those big trees and fixing a fence from the falling limbs.

Exact same issue here. The ones that have been dead about 10 years are falling apart.

i have a few long field lines with them on the edges. some pretty big ones too. 95% are dead . The rest will follow. The bad thing is when they fall they fall into a million peices to pick up.

hard to dig them out since they are dangerous. I'm just going to chainsaw them since the are on the line and push them into piles with the dozer.

2 years ago they logged them all in a small woods behind my property.. I guess they are paying pretty good prices for them.

Latest posts