All In One 30% Positive Feed Tub

Help Support CattleToday:

Soggy Bottom

Reaction score
Trying to get alittle feed back on these tubs. They seem to be a little higher priced at $95 for a 225lb tub, but seem to be a good winter tub for cattle. It will be for a cow/calf operation feeding hay and winter oats planted. Thanks in advance.

The brand has been around for many years and always enjoyed a good reputation. Judging by the price it's a cooked tub and probably will do you a good job supplementing lower quality hay and/or grazing. Seldom will you get any real weight gain but good for maintenance. I would not feed them while grazing the oats as oats will have very high protein.

Thanks for the response. I have about 9 acres planted with oats for 20 cows and a bull. I'm hoping we get some rain to get a good oat stand and they wont need much from the tubs.

Oh..... :idea: ....PF tubs. (Had to look it up) I used to use them back when they were under $50 and they weren't widely in demand. Yes it's been a long time. Cattle liked them, so did the calves. Surely made me feel better that I was treating my cows so well. Made my pockets feel better when I determined that they didn't need them if I had decent quality hay and good winter pasture for them. I'll even admit to pondering on buying a few last week when I noticed the cow pies piling higher and higher and the grass not looking so good. We must have had a pretty good frost sometime lately. Luckily we got a good rain and freshened the pastures back up and took care of the problem....at least for now.

Decent hay and a little oats to graze goes a long way in this part of Texas.

Why???? First question is do I need to supplement my feed, second question is what is the most economical answer to reach my goal, including product cost, labor, and time.

Allenw":2erczjmb said:
Why???? First question is do I need to supplement my feed, second question is what is the most economical answer to reach my goal, including product cost, labor, and time.
Cheapest is seldom "best".

I have 20 cows and a bull on 160 acres. We had decent summer pastures this year so there will be a lot left over dead grass standing in the pastures. Not sure how much they eat it, and what they can get from it. My place has volunteer rye grass thick in several places with some clover. I plant the oats to help supplement them and the deer. I don't feed much hay during the winters. Maybe ten bales. Some years less. The cows always seem to look good at the end of the winter. I'm just Trying to add alittle more for them with the tubs. I guess if they don't need it, a couple tubs will last a while. If they eat them than they need it.

My cattle are 1 1/2 hours away from where I live. I get up there about every 2-3 weeks. I do feed round bales in the winter but not many, maybe 10 or so. I have 20 cows on 160 acres mainly being all pastures. I do have a lot of left over grass from summer standing in the pastures but not sure how much they eat of it in the winter and how much they get from it once it dies. I do have volunteer rye grass in places and also clover. I plant the oats for the cattle and deer. I'm thinking I'll put the tubs out and if they need it they have it there. If they don't need it the tubs should last a while.

Latest posts