All bull calves...

Help Support CattleToday:

Farmer Z

Reaction score
I had 9 cows to calve this spring. Every one had a bull and that works perfectly fine for me. I was just wondering what others might have experienced in terms of straight runs like this.

ive got 2 bull calves on their mommas now.an i figure ill have all bull calves this year.because last i had a 50/50 calf crop.an the 2 cows that will calve this summer had heifers last year.an i figure theyll have bulls this year.

Odds are that you SHOULD have had at least 4 heifers, if not 5. Depends on a lot of factors. I have a friend who says a couple of her cows always produce heifers cause of where in their estrus they normally conceive. She may be right I saw the records, 13 calves one bull! Has something to do with motility I think. Were they AI'ed or natural bred?

9 calves of one sex is rare. I would think on most operations anything over 60/40 is unusual. My herd can sway one way or the other, but by the end of calving season, it is usually about the same between bulls and heifers.

Naturally bred to an UltraBlack bull...primarily angus/brangus type cows (everything from 1st calf heifers to older cows).

The sperm of the bull is sexed. some are male (Y) and some are female (X).

King Henry VIII had the some problem as your bull, except he got all girls.

This same bull was about 50/50 last year. It would be very interesting to have a bull that only threw one sex. Next year will be interesting.

bandit80":3qcmkjrd said:
9 calves of one sex is rare. I would think on most operations anything over 60/40 is unusual. My herd can sway one way or the other, but by the end of calving season, it is usually about the same between bulls and heifers.

Calf gender is a random thing. Doesn't go: bull, heifer, bull, heifer----. May be: bull, bull, bull Heifer, bull, bull, bull, heifer, heifer----. Bandit, you're correct, it's statistical and over time usually balances out.

sounds good to me.. we have two heifers so far. hope we have some bulls..donna

last year 7 heifers, 2 bulls.

I'm really sorry to butt in, I know I am new here, but I couldn't help it.....

You guys are aware that whatever the sex of the baby is depends 100% on the Father and his Sperm..???
It has nothing to do with the female that carry the offspring and give birth to it.

It takes 2 sets of Chromosomes to form a living, breathing animal.
Either "XX" (Female) or "XY" (Male).

Each Egg from the Female (Mother) AND Each Sperm from the Male (Father) will carry only 1 set of Chromosomes inside it. When the egg and sperm get together, the egg now has 2 sets of Chromosomes that are required to form a Baby Cow, then the egg is fertilized, starts to multiply, and WALA, you have yourself a Baby Cow! (Or a Baby Human) LOL

The thing is;
The Cow, like any other female (Including Humans), will always, ALWAYS produce ONLY the "X" Chromosome. EVERY SINGLE ONE of her eggs will ALWAYS have a "X" Chromosome inside it, NO exceptions.

The Bull however (like any other male), can (most of the time LoL) produce BOTH, the "X" and the "Y" Chromosome in his Sperm.

If 85% of the Sperm are carrying the "Y" Chromosome, and only 15% carry the "X" Chromosome, chances are, that 85% of HIS offspring are going to be Male, because the "X" from the Cow, and the "Y" from the Bull will make a Male Calf, and the "X" from the Cow and "X" from the Bull will produce FEMALE.

Therefore:
"X+Y" = Male Calf
"X+X" = Female Calf

I really hope that made sense... LOL

I heard there are some Bulls that will ONLY produce Males, and others will ONLY produce Females.
Same with Horses, and Humans, etc, etc, etc.
I also heard theories that it all depends on how full the moon is, how old the bull is, what it eats, the temperature, etc. Sperm Count can change, one year the bull might produce 90% male and 10% female, next 90% female and 10% male.

I also heard theories that the sex can depend on how FAR the Sperm have to Travel to get to the egg.
That if the bull "does his Deed" Very DEEPLY inside the Cow, chances are she is going to get pregnant with a Male Calf, and if the Bull does it Further away from the Egg, Chances are more towards a Female Calf.
It has something to do with the Sperm that Carry the "Y" Chromosome (Male) are a lot FASTER moving than their "X" (Female) carrying Counterparts, so if they have a short distance to travel, they reach the egg sooner, but if they have a LONG way to go to get to the egg, they use up so much energy by swimming fast, that they tire quickly, and becuse they are in front of the slower moving "X" Carrying Sperms, they are eliminated and killed off first by the cow's Immune System. The "X" (Female) Carrying Sperm are much slower moving, but they can travel a much longer distance and have better stamina... LOL

But who knows, theories are theories, and Mother-Nature works in Wonderous ways. LOL
One thing's for sure, the sex of the baby has nothing to do with the cow. LOL

paulandashia":3vflndbk said:
I also heard theories that the sex can depend on how FAR the Sperm have to Travel to get to the egg.
That if the bull "does his Deed" Very DEEPLY inside the Cow, chances are she is going to get pregnant with a Male Calf, and if the Bull does it Further away from the Egg, Chances are more towards a Female Calf.
It has something to do with the Sperm that Carry the "Y" Chromosome (Male) are a lot FASTER moving than their "X" (Female) carrying Counterparts, so if they have a short distance to travel, they reach the egg sooner, but if they have a LONG way to go to get to the egg, they use up so much energy by swimming fast, that they tire quickly, and becuse they are in front of the slower moving "X" Carrying Sperms, they are eliminated and killed off first by the cow's Immune System. The "X" (Female) Carrying Sperm are much slower moving, but they can travel a much longer distance and have better stamina... LOL

Distance isn;t the isue since the distance from the cervix to the egg is the same and there is no way the bull can put it any closer then that. It has to do with the timing of the deposition of semen to the time of ovulation. earlier deposition tends toward more bulls, later to more heifers.

dun":uny49e02 said:
paulandashia":uny49e02 said:

Distance isn;t the isue since the distance from the cervix to the egg is the same and there is no way the bull can put it any closer then that. It has to do with the timing of the deposition of semen to the time of ovulation. earlier deposition tends toward more bulls, later to more heifers.

Whew! I almost had to add another selection criteria!

I wonder how long it will take before some academic wannabee develope a EPD for Pecker length?

KNERSIE":24o7xc76 said:
dun":24o7xc76 said:
paulandashia":24o7xc76 said:

Whew! I almost had to add another selection criteria!

I wonder how long it will take before some academic wannabee develope a EPD for Pecker length?

:clap: :clap: :clap: :banana: :help:

the last 8 calves born in our spring herd are all heifers. :???: out of 20 spring cows in that bunch 9 heifers, 3 bulls, and 8 more to calve (hopefully more bulls :clap: ).

lol Knersie ....... hope we don't ever see that EPD!

I was reading on minerals again last night. ............. shortage of manganese can cause all bull calves.

Also acidity of the cow can kill the male sperm.

jgibson":2y7v1ghr said:
We have had 100% heifers this year. Last year we had 9 out of 10 bulls.

This is typical of what I experience. I average out, but many many years I have an abundance of one or the other.

paulandashia":3i9qykvk said:
It takes 2 sets of Chromosomes to form a living, breathing animal.
Either "XX" (Female) or "XY" (Male).

If 85% of the Sperm are carrying the "Y" Chromosome, and only 15% carry the "X" Chromosome, chances are, that 85% of HIS offspring are going to be Male, because the "X" from the Cow, and the "Y" from the Bull will make a Male Calf, and the "X" from the Cow and "X" from the Bull will produce FEMALE.

It's been 38 years since I sat in a biology class, but back then they taught us that the male and female chromosomes have to split. So XX becomes X and X, XY Becomes X and Y. Therefore their are as many X sperm as their are Y sperm. Natural service can't produce 85% Y and 15% X.

However, I was taught in a government school where twisting of facts is the norm nowdays, but back then our school system still taught instead of pacified.

Latest posts