ALI, the Greatest

Help Support CattleToday:

john250

Reaction score
OK, he was wrong to refuse service, and to join a hate group, but he was simply the greatest heavyweight ever. "Float like a butterfly, sting like a bee". RIP Champ.

Actually the law of our land ruled in his favor, so as a conscientious objector how was he wrong?
When asked about his low IQ test score he replied, "I said I was the greatest, not the smartest."

Hate to be objective but my vote for the greatest heavyweight goes to Rocky Marciano. He beat everybody he ever fought.

JMJ Farms":mgefhzt7 said:
Hate to be objective but my vote for the greatest heavyweight goes to Rocky Marciano. He beat everybody he ever fought.

I don't know how much boxing you watched but Ali would have killed him. Foreman was better too.

inyati13":1irj4syn said:
JMJ Farms":1irj4syn said:

I don't know how much boxing you watched but Ali would have killed him. Foreman was better too.

Strictly speculation. (All in fun bc we will never know). This is strictly fictional but it's worth a look. Marciano wins in 13th round.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Super_Fight

Some folks think Tyson was the greatest heavyweight. Much ado about nothing really- he was born, he fought, he died. Plenty of soldiers all over the world do the same, just fight under much higher stakes.

Different class, and I haven't seen a lot of Ali fights, but a friend of mine gave me a whole pile of boxing videos once... De La Hoya and others... I found watching Manny Paquiao fight was a breath of fresh air.. In his fights they didn't spend half the time hugging each other.
Regardless of what you think of Ali (yeah, a mouthpiece), The sport is better for him having been in it, and it was good entertainment (Read: Entertainment.. Not something you get worked up about)

I lean more towards Jow Louis as the greatest of all time over marciano. But comparing boxers from different eras is just as useless as comparing racing drivers from different eras.

dun":hk3x5ft6 said:
I lean more towards Jow Louis as the greatest of all time over marciano. But comparing boxers from different eras is just as useless as comparing racing drivers from different eras.

or any sport for that matter.

I don't think it's fair to say who could beat whom, you just have to look at their record when they played (or fought) and decide based on the facts. Joe Louis was a wrecking machine himself in his time.

inyati13":2enpllsk said:
JMJ Farms":2enpllsk said:

Frank Dux would have knocked out all three of them out in .12 seconds. :lol:

Ain't got nothing to do with Ali but IMO the best fight I ever saw was Arturo Gatti and Irish Mickey Ward (the first fight). Looked like a Rocky movie starring welterweights. Never seen two people fight that hard for that long.

Tommy "The Hitman" Hearns (aka the Motor City Cobra) vs Marvelous Marvin Hagler in 1985 was a hellva fight.

Tommy Hearns 40-1 with 34 KOs
vs
Marvelous Marvin Hagler 60-2-2

Round 1 was the most exciting round of boxing I have ever seen.... both men going toe to toe trading blows.
It was later revealed that Hearns broke his hand in round 1.
Hagler was cut and covered in blood when he stopped Hearns in round 3.

The man had 9 kids with four different women despite claims of devout religiosity. His faith forbade him from serving his country but did not factor into the boring stuff like being a good husband and father.

From a moral standpoint he isn't in the same pantheon of a Joe Louis. Hard to compare but when Iron Mike lived with that old white guy there wasn't a fighter on earth who could handle him.

But Ali was the greatest self promoter, and the prototype of today's ME! MY! MINE! culture.

Latest posts