alfalfa

Help Support CattleToday:

cowchaser

Reaction score
Wanted to know if anyone had suggestions on a good alfalfa seed to use. We planted forager last time, but the yeilds were low and plants were not hardy. We live in NW CO elevation 6200 feet, feild is irrigated by center pivot sprinkler, part of the field is on a slope. We have some trouble with alkalie, bugs and drought. Thanks

Need to know a little more: Are you grazing or haying it?
Do you know what Fall Dormancy alfalfas are usually planted in your area? Are you wanting max production (ie you water, fertilize and hay the heck out of it), or are you wanting something that will just grow without a lot of input and last a long time? Is this hay for a market or for winter feeding your own cattle.

We grow alfalfa for dairy hay in similar conditions (climate and elevation) but lots of factors make a huge difference. What I plant for hay isn't neccessarily what I want if I was growing hay on marginal ground to feed my own cows.

cowchaser":1ulicszp said:
Wanted to know if anyone had suggestions on a good alfalfa seed to use. We planted forager last time, but the yeilds were low and plants were not hardy. We live in NW CO elevation 6200 feet, feild is irrigated by center pivot sprinkler, part of the field is on a slope. We have some trouble with alkalie, bugs and drought. Thanks

Strikes me that there would be some real good info available from your local ag rep, local seed and fert supplier, a local ag college or university and even the neighbours who have been at it for a longer period of time than you have.

JMO

Bez!

Howdy,

The biggest investment is not the seed, but the field preparation.
Is the field ready. Fertilized, a high ph for alfalfa stand establishment. clean weed free, crop rotatation prior to alfalfa(at least a full season non-alfalfa), spring planting or fall planting. (depends on location) soil test.

The next step would be alfalfa use? (grazing, haying)Your field? (own or rent) You're cutting, raking baling? (you or custom work) The alfalfa variety would depend on your location. Then, it would come down to recomenedations from local farmers, co-op, ext agents.

Latest posts