alfalfa vs grass hay

Help Support CattleToday:

plbcattle

Reaction score
I am looking for hay in my area and it is higher this year and the quality is way down. I got a suggestion from 2 people about using alfalfa. they said that cattle would consume a lot less of the alfalfa therefore I don't have to buy as much thus putting my end hay feed bill at about the same. They said their cattle fed alfalfa looked a lot better than when fed grass hay.I can get a ton delivered for around $90. I know I will get far less hay for the money but better quality and higher protien for about the same money. i will have marashall rye grass for winter grazing. anybody else ever try this. what is your opinion

When we fed alfalfa or alfalfa mix the cows ate twice as much as when eating grass hay. They got a lot fatter, but it was a waste of money. Alfalfa has much more protein then a beef cow needs.

dun

IF you have rye grass pasture in the winter then I would truck in prairie hay for 75 to 80 a ton if I were you. If you have drought bermuda or fescue for pasture in the winter I can assure you that excess protein or fat cows will not be your problem. As far as consumption goes my cows eat what I feed them. They havn't figured out how to start the tractor or open the barn door.

Being a small operation with limited grazing we feed alfalfa and alfalfa/grass most of the year...and maintain a 2.5lb/day growth throughout the winter, 3#+ in the warm months...feed according to weight as our alfalfa runs 18%+ protein. Suppliment cracked corn (this is where we mix the minerals) 2#/day except for the finishing pen which is now 15# corn and 12# alfalfa, slaughter in three weeks.
I may be over feeding but the gain ($) is there and they finish quickly and our customers love the beef.
I pay 105/ton for alfalfa/grass delivered up here which is mostly heavy leafed alfalfa....my two cents worth. Dave Mc

with alalfa hay an beef cows.its best to limit feed 8lb a day.it would equal out that way.so you could save money feeding alalfa at $90 a ton.where as if you fed grass hay theyed eat till it was gone.but you would limit feed the alalfa.by only feeding so meny bales a day.scott

i had figured feeding 7-9 lbs per day and it came out to about the same $ as feeding grass hay. I wasn't going to leave free choice alfalfa out.

Howdy,

Alfalfa has its place. I intermix rolls fed between mixed grass in the evening and alfalfa in the mornings. (when feeding) When the temp really goes down, alfalfa, alfalfa, and more alfalfa. I grow my own :)
The high protein and richness of the alfalfa assist in producing great milk for thier calves (fall calving here)

Dun - waste of money? did your cattle get fat? what was the calves weaning weights? were they up? if they weren't, then your cows were not converting to milk as well as some then. commercial or registered cows?

Daybreak":49vq4kyj said:
Howdy,

Alfalfa has its place. I intermix rolls fed between mixed grass in the evening and alfalfa in the mornings. (when feeding) When the temp really goes down, alfalfa, alfalfa, and more alfalfa. I grow my own :)
The high protein and richness of the alfalfa assist in producing great milk for thier calves (fall calving here)

Dun - waste of money? did your cattle get fat? what was the calves weaning weights? were they up? if they weren't, then your cows were not converting to milk as well as some then. commercial or registered cows?
Is it safe to feed straight alfalfa?

Daybreak":f7qt5qlk said:
Howdy,

Generally we only feed any kind of hay for a couple of months at most during the winter. Drought years longer and sooner. Cows were dry and in the last trimester. We've selected for animals that can do their job on fescue and stockplied fescue during the majority of the winter, the calf at around BCS 6-6.5 with no supplement other then on those very low temp windy and wet nights.
Beef cows don;t need 16-17% protein to do their job, alfalfa would work as a protein supplemnt if the main forage falls into the 6% or below range.

dun

Latest posts