Alfalfa vs. Grass Hay

Help Support CattleToday:

Bestoutwest

Reaction score
We ripped out our big alfalfa field this year and put in grass to make it pasture. But because we're so small we still hayed it. So my question for you guys is this: I'm pretty sure that alfalfa is a higher protein feed than grass hay, therefore, it's a better energy producer and it's a better feed for when things get cold (close to 0 with a slight wind at times). Is there anything I can supplement with to make sure they get through the winter better or will I be fine? I've never had any problems before, but because I'm switching hay types I want to make sure we'll be fine.

Thanks guys

Bestoutwest":3bk0kgez said:
We ripped out our big alfalfa field this year and put in grass to make it pasture. But because we're so small we still hayed it. So my question for you guys is this: I'm pretty sure that alfalfa is a higher protein feed than grass hay, therefore, it's a better energy producer and it's a better feed for when things get cold (close to 0 with a slight wind at times). Is there anything I can supplement with to make sure they get through the winter better or will I be fine? I've never had any problems before, but because I'm switching hay types I want to make sure we'll be fine.

Thanks guys
Probably is higher in protein if it has some alfalfa in it but protein and energy are two different things. Have it tested. It may not need any supplementation at all but will pass through the animal more quickly, produce less heat, but require less energy to digest.

Bestoutwest":2y8wm6gn said:

Thanks guys

Are you going to use solely alfalfa or in addition to grass hay?