Alfalfa Seed

Help Support CattleToday:

dun":2u552cw1 said:
We haven;t had 3 inches total of rain since May. What is that stuff in the first picture, looks like mangled t-posts?

dun,
are you talking about in the pic with the fescue sprouts ?

dun":1greeax3 said:
skyhightree1":1greeax3 said:
Is there a specific lespedeza seed that I should be looking for ?
I usually just get the cheapest stuff they have as long as it's hulled. The unhulled stuff doesn;t seem to work as well for frost seeding although it works fine when drilled.
Another possible "gotcha" is the grass growing so well and tall that it shades out the lespedeza and or clover. That's another advantage to rotational grazing, you can balance the grass height with the requirements for your protein/nitrogen sources.

dun,
excellent point that happened with some orchard grass I planted earlier this year it shaded all the clover and the clover suffered.

skyhightree1":33fnqbze said:
dun":33fnqbze said:
We haven;t had 3 inches total of rain since May. What is that stuff in the first picture, looks like mangled t-posts?

dun,
are you talking about in the pic with the fescue sprouts ?
Yes

I'm not trying to sound like a wizard of rotational grazing. We've been doing it for 15 years and have figured out what works for us on our land. Your results may vary. It's kind of amazing how health issues and age give you the impetus to find easier ways of doing things as long as they still work.

Well I am pretty sure you have been cattle farming way longer than I have and I dont mind listening to words of wisdom.. So I greatly appreciate you knowledge you have provided me for free...lol

skyhightree1":1age02xl said:
So I greatly appreciate you knowledge you have provided me for free...lol
Probably worth what you paid for it!

Great advice dun! As to the price of seed, you guys are lucky. Anything half-ways decent up here is going to cost upwards of $4/lb, and some is north of $5/lb. Rotational grazing not only lets you have more grass, you can have better quality as well, as it's always in the vegetative stage.

Latest posts