Alfalfa hay

Help Support CattleToday:

Sounds like something from craiglist. Not bad for large round bales!

I don't really understand?

Over here 3rd cutting lucerne is better than 1st cut as it helps to get rid of weeds every time you cut.

$9.25 would be the price of a small square bale not a round bale.

And some sucker will probably buy it thinking he got a great deal. Probably got rained on several times and completely brown.

Suzie Q":pk0r3hds said:
I don't really understand?

Over here 3rd cutting lucerne is better than 1st cut as it helps to get rid of weeds every time you cut.

$9.25 would be the price of a small square bale not a round bale.
I believe they were being sarcastic, my dear. In the US, it's obviously the same as here in Canada, $9.25 for a small square is alot of $$$$$. For a 60 pound bale that's 15 cents/pound.

I knew they were being sarcastic, that is why I did not understand, maybe it is because by the last post the weather has not been right. But here what weather you get in one suburb does not mean you get that a suburb away.

What I have been led to believe is that in America you usually only get 2 cuts of alfalfa a year. If you are lucky due to snow and alfalfa not growing in the cold. So with the cost of seed and equipment I would have thought it would have been more expensive there than over here where during Summer we can cut a lucerne paddock every 3 weeks. We can still get a crop over winter.

Maybe the cost of seed, diesel, fertiliser, baling twine and machinery is a lot more over here?

Suzie
it depends on where you are at in the states how many cuttings you get off of alfalfa
in some placers you can get as many as 5or 6 and others maybe only 3

the cost of raising alfalfa for beef cattle in my part of the U.S. is cost prohibitive as we can't grow Great alfalfa very economically and you can usually by better than you can raise here locally

plus There are cheaper things to feed a beef cow than alfalfa

novaman":29niz9pu said:
And some sucker will probably buy it thinking he got a great deal. Probably got rained on several times and completely brown.
Not bad for this area. Most runs $12-13 a bale at a feed store. Good alfalfa too.Been like that for about 3 years now. Nobody feeds it but a few horse stables.

We also grow it for horses, but the cattle get those that are too wet, too dry, too big, too small, too tight, too loose......

You always try to make the perfect bale, but mother nature has other ideas. The cattle don't mind at all.

Angus Cowman":2hf5rxje said:
Suzie
it depends on where you are at in the states how many cuttings you get off of alfalfa
in some placers you can get as many as 5or 6 and others maybe only 3

This year, up here, it depended on how you needed to put it up. The dairies got 5 cuttings cuz they were putting it up as silage, could get it up between rains. We got 2 cuz we never had enough drying days to put up as hay. I would have been hay ahead if I paid for bags and custom chopping but not money ahead. We might lay down 1 field this week for a 3rd cutting and hope it dries, we are suddenly dry but cool.

The guys that are pushing around here typically get 4 cuts a year. We are in the same boat as redcows, the guys that were wrapping hay got boatloads, but if you were waiting for good drying weather we only had about two 5-day stretches all summer. Around here alfalfa hay will range from 2.5-5 cents/pound depending on quality, supply, and export demand. If you don't mind hay that has had one rain but still feed tests well you can buy pretty good cow hay cheap this year. You can probably get a pretty good deal on wrapped hay.... some big guys that usually export hay to Florida for horse feed couldn't get anything dry, and ended up wrapping several thousand big square bales. Don't know how they are going to get rid of that stuff.