Alfalfa Blooms, done growing?

Help Support CattleToday:

travlnusa

Reaction score
When alfalfa hits bloom stage, does growth stop for all pratical purpose? I understand that as % of bloom goes up, quality starts to drop.

Asking as with no rain to speak if, second crop is hitting 10% but only 12" tall.

If I wait to cut, and trade off quality, will I still pick up tonnage?

Thanks

From my experience alfalfa doesn't add much tonnage after reaching full bloom. And not much increase after 10% bloom and the quality (both protien content and palability) begin declining after 10% bloom. I feel that it is better to get it cut and off the field and let the next cutting have a chance but that is just my experience it may be that some one else has had different experiences.

Jalopy":2fmnfkjx said:
From my experience alfalfa doesn't add much tonnage after reaching full bloom. And not much increase after 10% bloom and the quality (both protien content and palability) begin declining after 10% bloom. I feel that it is better to get it cut and off the field and let the next cutting have a chance but that is just my experience it may be that some one else has had different experiences.

In CA we irrigated so I don;t know for sure but the stuff around here seems to do the same as you said

dun":3d0hpb2y said:
Jalopy":3d0hpb2y said:

In CA we irrigated so I don;t know for sure but the stuff around here seems to do the same as you said

In our climate you get the best yield under irrigation if you cut every 4 weeks regardless of stage of bloom, but with our summers its usually about 5-10% bloom

In dry conditions your probably at maximum yield about now. That Alfalfa is going to put all it's got into making seed. That will include dropping leaves from bottom up. Best to get it cut, hope for rain and let it re grow.

Cut it now. If it's at 10% bloom you are already behind. I usually hit mine in late bud before you can even see blooms, but then I'm shooting for dairy quality. In my opinion quality takes precidence over quantity.

travlnusa":1h7ar1xc said:
When alfalfa hits bloom stage, does growth stop for all pratical purpose?

You are correct. When alfalfa blooms, growth stops.

I understand that as % of bloom goes up, quality starts to drop.

Your understanding is correct. Alfalfa in full bloom will not have the nutrient content of alfalfa in pre-bloom, or even partial bloom.

Asking as with no rain to speak if, second crop is hitting 10% but only 12" tall.

If I wait to cut, and trade off quality, will I still pick up tonnage?

No, you will not pick up tonnage. You will only lose quality.

Thanks

Latest posts