Alfalfa and beef cows

Help Support CattleToday:

tncattle

Reaction score
How do beef cattle do on mostly alfalfa pasture? Are there any particular breeds that do bad or do better?

They will exceed your wildest expectations.

There is a bloat risk so they need to be managed correctly, but there is no better feed for any bovine.

KNERSIE":df2uv65j said:
They will exceed your wildest expectations.

There is a bloat risk so they need to be managed correctly, but there is no better feed for any bovine.

"every calf deserves a white face" - I love it !!!!!!! :tiphat:

tncattle":3egrl74l said:
How do beef cattle do on mostly alfalfa pasture? Are there any particular breeds that do bad or do better?

They will do great, but I would make sure they had access to bloat blocks. As far as I know, bloat is an across the board problem regardless of breed. According to what I've read, the risk of bloat is increased by turning hungry cows that are not used to alfalfa out on an alfalfa pasture that is still wet with dew, and giving them unlimited access to it. I believe I would make sure they were full of grass hay prior to turning them out the first time, and do what I could to limit their grazing for a week or so.

Also consider the damage done to the field/pasture by grazing. The hoof action of the cows can damage the crowns and result in crown rot. We have had better results cutting and baling the alfalfa and keeping the cows off the fields entirely.

novaman":2gcmm9ub said:
Also consider the damage done to the field/pasture by grazing. The hoof action of the cows can damage the crowns and result in crown rot. We have had better results cutting and baling the alfalfa and keeping the cows off the fields entirely.

There are grazing cultivars with the crown under the groundsurface. The SA cultivars, SA STandard and SA Select, the Aussie cultivars, Aurora and Magna 804 are just a few that springs to mind. Typically your lower dormancy classes (I'm never sure which is which, but those that grow less in winter are the ones i am referring to) are usually better suited for grazing while the higher producing varieties in the cold are less tolerant to being grazed.

I like the idea of baling the Alfalfa and grazing grass. But then, we have a long feeding season up here.

Latest posts