Alfala planted in Brome

Help Support CattleToday:

jhambley

Reaction score
Thought I would ask if anyone plants alfalfa in with their brome? Can anyone provide the pros and cons?

Thanks in advance.

jhambley":33wn8mky said:
Thought I would ask if anyone plants alfalfa in with their brome? Can anyone provide the pros and cons?

Thanks in advance.

We have smooth brome/timothy/alfalfa mix (with a couple other species of grasses thrown in to boot), and the hay yeilds are terrific. Can't remember the yeilds in numbers, but they're high and good enough to get through the winter. And the cattle eat the stuff like it's candy. :)

The only con that I know of is the fact that broom is a strong competitor. It likes to try to be dominate. In new seeding. I suggest to only use a maximum of 5 lbs of smooth broom, if not only 2.5lbs. Unless you don't really care for the longevity of your high priced alfalfa? But the combination makes great feed.

Iowa237":r06fk4wp said:
The only con that I know of is the fact that broom is a strong competitor. It likes to try to be dominate. In new seeding. I suggest to only use a maximum of 5 lbs of smooth broom, if not only 2.5lbs. Unless you don't really care for the longevity of your high priced alfalfa? But the combination makes great feed.

Erase what I just said. Think I misread your post. Do you mean inter-seed alfalfa into your established brome field?

I guess I don't have a clue. I would talk to someone highly respected in that feild before doing this. I would think that the broom might choke it out and never allow for the alfalfa to get any kind of a start. I inter-seed clovers all the time... which they seem to be easier to start... but am alot of times disapointed in my results. You might consider running a disk lightly over your broom and then seeding, just enough to suppress the grass? But then you might be creating a weed problem. And also might make your pasture a little rough!

I don't know, but am interested to find out how you do it and your results if you decide to give it a try!

Iowa237":p793g6hl said:
I guess I don't have a clue. I would talk to someone highly respected in that feild before doing this. I would think that the broom might choke it out and never allow for the alfalfa to get any kind of a start. I inter-seed clovers all the time... which they seem to be easier to start... but am alot of times disapointed in my results. You might consider running a disk lightly over your broom and then seeding, just enough to suppress the grass? But then you might be creating a weed problem. And also might make your pasture a little rough!

I don't know, but am interested to find out how you do it and your results if you decide to give it a try!

I think you got the right idea, Iowa. If I were to do something like intercropping alfalfa with brome, it might be best to harrow, then maybe disk to break up the roots a bit, then seed the innoculated alfalfa seeds. Weeds I wouldn't worry about, but the rate that the brome pops up in the spring and the competitiveness might be something to consider.

Just my two cents.

Latest posts