Alabama's fat fee

Help Support CattleToday:

Lammie":2ceu0zqm said:
I understand that Japan is doing the same thing.

Working at a school, and having kids in school, I can tell you that the kids started to get fatter when they took recess off the schedule and reduced PE to sitting around watching movies about baseball, rather than playing. And let's not forget the new rules at most schools when they do have recess. No running, no playing wall ball or tag, (they aren't supposed to touch one another). We can't let the kids get hurt! Lord knows we are supposed to go through life with no scrapes or scabby knees.

Next thing to come along is non-contact football!!

Auburn_Ag":2obxuqrp said:
hillsdown":2obxuqrp said:
Some people just love their deep fried chicken.

When we went to a Cup race at Talladega there were two young men that must have weighed 400lbs each and they both had a BIG bucket of KFC tucked under their arms going through the gate,,,,plus a huge cooler full of who knows what..

My husband and I thought it was a strange snack to bring for the event.. :lol2:

Hillsdown

At Talladega do not be surprised by anything. At that place anything goes! I was told in the 70's and early 80's the infield was the wildest place on earth. Talladega is the only race tract that has its own jail!

3 year ago, there were two guys from out of state that wanted to erect a 30 for or so flag pole, the wind got in to it and hit the power lines and fried booth of them.
the only time i was at the track in talladega was in the 70"s and the end field... it was like woodstock.

It's stupid. I guess the schools are afraid of being sued, so they overreact about everything and ban fun. I swear, it's someone's parent who got picked on or never got chosen for a team and now they are getting their revenge.

Kids can't go out and play when the air quality is worse than level orange because some kids have asthema. Well, not all the kids do, so let them play. My friend's son's class could not have a Christmas party because one child in the class's family does not celebrate Christmas. So, let her take a day off and don't count it.

I hate it that we have to take pains to accomodate a few people at the expense of all.

ALACOWMAN":ddo2hyru said:
Auburn_Ag":ddo2hyru said:
hillsdown":ddo2hyru said:
Some people just love their deep fried chicken.

When we went to a Cup race at Talladega there were two young men that must have weighed 400lbs each and they both had a BIG bucket of KFC tucked under their arms going through the gate,,,,plus a huge cooler full of who knows what..

My husband and I thought it was a strange snack to bring for the event.. :lol2:

Hillsdown

At Talladega do not be surprised by anything. At that place anything goes! I was told in the 70's and early 80's the infield was the wildest place on earth. Talladega is the only race tract that has its own jail!

3 year ago, there were two guys from out of state that wanted to erect a 30 for or so flag pole, the wind got in to it and hit the power lines and fried booth of them.
the only time i was at the track in talladega was in the 70"s and the end field... it was like woodstock.

I was told by a ex cop that worked it, that if people were standing on a RV pointing down, it meant a fight. If people were on the grown pointing up to the top of an RV, it meant someone was naked! :shock: :banana:

3 year ago, there were two guys from out of state that wanted to erect a 30 for or so flag pole, the wind got in to it and hit the power lines and fried booth of them.[/quote] the only time i was at the track in talladega was in the 70"s and the end field... it was like woodstock.[/quote]

I was told by a ex cop that worked it, that if people were standing on a RV pointing down, it meant a fight. If people were on the grown pointing up to the top of an RV, it meant someone was naked! :shock: :banana:[/quote] well i found out pretty dern quick, that me and my highschool buddy were the only ones there who their initial intention was watchin' the race

Lammie":2nxu4495 said:
It's stupid. I guess the schools are afraid of being sued, so they overreact about everything and ban fun. I swear, it's someone's parent who got picked on or never got chosen for a team and now they are getting their revenge.

Kids can't go out and play when the air quality is worse than level orange because some kids have asthema. Well, not all the kids do, so let them play. My friend's son's class could not have a Christmas party because one child in the class's family does not celebrate Christmas. So, let her take a day off and don't count it.

I hate it that we have to take pains to accomodate a few people at the expense of all.
they need to worry more about how they gonna pay the teacher's next month. the board of education only had 75% of the money too pay em this month, and gonna have too borrow the rest

At the school where I work, they have had three superintendents in four years. The one they have now is about to shake things up in the athletic department. We have also had almost 100% turnover in coaching in each of the last two years. The AD is gonna get fired. All this for athletics and what left over for the rest of the school? He's an old coach, naturally. We are a property poor school. No businesses to speak of and very little wealth. The new super is promising the students new fields, new schools, a community pool. I would like to see where that money is going to come from. I don't see a bond election being a popular thing in these times.

Lammie":1asut5ex said:
At the school where I work, they have had three superintendents in four years. The one they have now is about to shake things up in the athletic department. We have also had almost 100% turnover in coaching in each of the last two years. The AD is gonna get fired. All this for athletics and what left over for the rest of the school? He's an old coach, naturally. We are a property poor school. No businesses to speak of and very little wealth. The new super is promising the students new fields, new schools, a community pool. I would like to see where that money is going to come from. I don't see a bond election being a popular thing in these times.
lammie at a small school where my oldest daughter started kindergarten was 32 kids in her grade the student to teacher ratio was 16 to 1 they had an indoor pool,a auditorium where plays were put on the football team rode on a motorcoach and the ftball field was returfed every 2 yrs they got a new superintendant and he held an open meeting and said things were gonna change and he didn't agree that a ftball coach should only make a $1 less a yr than he did and not teach at all, all he did was coach and take care of field maintenace he made $100,000.00 a yr the coach made $99.999.00 a yr

Lammie":1em1c30i said:
Kids can't go out and play when the air quality is worse than level orange because some kids have asthema. Well, not all the kids do, so let them play.

Remember, No Child Left Behind is the new rule.

I would like to see where that money is going to come from. I don't see a bond election being a popular thing in these times.

Look at your checkbook cause they are going to raise your property taxes. We are in the process of building three new schools and a new courthouse. Our taxes tripled in one year.

Jogeephus":7zsr38ic said:
Lammie":7zsr38ic said:
Kids can't go out and play when the air quality is worse than level orange because some kids have asthema. Well, not all the kids do, so let them play.

Remember, No Child Left Behind is the new rule.

I would like to see where that money is going to come from. I don't see a bond election being a popular thing in these times.

Look at your checkbook cause they are going to raise your property taxes. We are in the process of building three new schools and a new courthouse. Our taxes tripled in one year.

Yikes! :shock: :mad:

It won't come out of my property taxes, Jo. I don't live in the district. When kids ask me, as they do sometimes, why my son does not attend school where I work, I tell them it is because his friends are in Alvarado and he's been there since fourth grade, which is true enough. The other, real reason is because Alvarado is a better school district and I want him to stay there. Not that there is any less strife where he is, but it is the devil I know.

My property taxes went down slightly this year. I still think they are stupid high, but there it is. Alvarado is property poor, too, but we get a lot more shale money, owing to the fact that there are huge deposits beneath our schools and we are reaping the benefits of royalty money. It still won't make our test scores higher, our teams better or our administrators any more qualified. You really can't pour money on a thing and make it better, but it sure does help. Our district is not yet a victim of the sprawling of Dallas suburbs, and the district where I work is. Black families from De Soto and Duncanville are fleeing if they can, looking for fewer gangs and less crime, but they bring their problems with them.

I am keeping open to the possibility of getting while the getting's good. Our population in Alvarado is growing, but our student population is declining. I don't know what that means.

Lammie":3tyojrzt said:
It still won't make our test scores higher, our teams better or our administrators any more qualified. You really can't pour money on a thing and make it better, but it sure does help.

But with newer larger schools you'll need to hire more administrators and pay them more to keep them. You'll probably need to hire a high priced sports director to manage the talent but not teach. It will snowball I'm sure. They will probably get some federal grants where you only have to match it 50% which will keep the county from going broke half as fast. Its a wonderful thing to watch the unbridled movement of a county drunk on grant money. We recently got our crowning jewel which consists of an 8 foot water fountain or as I call it a brick water trough for a mere $30,000. Good thing about it, in a few days most of our county officials are going to rehab. :nod:

Jogeephus":3u10siew said:
Lammie":3u10siew said:
It still won't make our test scores higher, our teams better or our administrators any more qualified. You really can't pour money on a thing and make it better, but it sure does help.

But with newer larger schools you'll need to hire more administrators and pay them more to keep them. You'll probably need to hire a high priced sports director to manage the talent but not teach. It will snowball I'm sure. They will probably get some federal grants where you only have to match it 50% which will keep the county from going broke half as fast. Its a wonderful thing to watch the unbridled movement of a county drunk on grant money. We recently got our crowning jewel which consists of an 8 foot water fountain or as I call it a brick water trough for a mere $30,000. Good thing about it, in a few days most of our county officials are going to rehab. :nod:

That is why no one like the current Athletic Director. He never bothers to darken the halls of the school for anything. I don't even think he goes to pep rallys. He's a snob, too good for us. His wife owns a business whereby she does letter jackets, and got the monopoly on that with the school, which is a conflict of interest if you ask me. I guess you can order a letter jacket from anyone, but she's the only rep at our school, and being the AD's wife, it is hard not to see the conflict.

I hope they can him.

Lammie":dy51721s said:
I understand that Japan is doing the same thing.

Working at a school, and having kids in school, I can tell you that the kids started to get fatter when they took recess off the schedule and reduced PE to sitting around watching movies about baseball, rather than playing. And let's not forget the new rules at most schools when they do have recess. No running, no playing wall ball or tag, (they aren't supposed to touch one another). We can't let the kids get hurt! Lord knows we are supposed to go through life with no scrapes or scabby knees.

Add to that the school lunch, comprised mainly of carbs. I see kids throw away their fruit all the time. We serve burritos for breakfast. Bean burritos. We took out the vending machines, but we still have a snack shack where kids can get the same things.

Finally, there's fast food. I don't eat out much, too expensive. My step daughter had to have her gall bladder removed when she was 26. That's what comes of a lifetime of eating processed foods. Her mother doesn't cook, so they both grew up with whatever they could microwave from a box.

It's no wonder we are fat as a society. I don't remember going to school with a single kid I would call obese. Chunky, maybe, but not obese. We didn't go to tucked in shirts at school this year because of the outcry from the parents of fat kids.

We have to do something. I would prefer personal responsibility, but we all know that went out the window.

Plus as a rule, 30-40 years ago there was no cell phones, internet, video games, nowadays these activities promote laziness, they are fun, but kids don't get the exercise they use to. Plus adults seem to be so busy working, and trying to make ends meet, exercise to some is just another job to do, who wants that?

I think the schools would do themselves alot of good if they just stayed out of certain situations, and stuck to their jobs of teaching kids. They should let them have recess more instead of less, and gym should be required all the way up thru graduation.

I think this plan could work, but I can see issues where it could go to the extreme also. Telling people they have to weigh a certain amount, etc.. fringes on discrimination. A mere $25 a month is hardly anything, considering health care premiums are several hundred dollars.

GMN

Both my kids are skinny as rails but they get that from their father and I. My younger son has tennis before school and in the evenings and he helps me around the animals. He has his video games, too, but he always did like the outdoors. He runs his little buns off in tennis. They do the same workouts as the football and basketball players as far as the running.

Lammie":2mmi1ltx said:

This I totally agree with. Use to be the Christmas concert was a highlight in any school, big production, now no Christmas songs are allowed to be sung, like Silent Night, Away in the Manger, the Classics. Instead they make up these cute lil songs for the kids to sing, because Jesus or God can't be said in school-it sucks!

Then the class parties aren't called Christmas parties or Halloween parties, they are now called Fall Harvest Party and Holiday party, its a crock. Then there is the kids can't bring in homeade treats for their birthdays, yet the big fundraiser the school has, they rely on people to make homeade items for resale, kind of a double standard if U ask me.

Seems to me the teachers walk around on eggshells, afraid to offend or be offended, and us parents wonder why things have to be so complicated. Like you said if there is someone who doesn't celebrate Christmas, then don't come that day, or just get use to it, the world doesn't stop just for a few, I think its called being flexible, can't please everyone philosophy.

GMN

Don't get me started on Halloween. When I lived in Arlington it became not PC to celebrate it. Mega churches were calling it "satan's birthday". People would keep their kids home, there were rumors about cults kidnapping blonde haired, blue eyed children to use as sacrifice. Funny, I had one of those and he always got overlooked by the cultists. It was totally out of hand. We couldn't even carve pumpkins. We weren't supposed to "scare" the children. No witches, no ghosts, no vampires. I would have had no costumes at all as a child. I was the devil one year. It was one of those College Hill costumes that came in a box. I never wanted to be a princess.

I always thought that a good scare was healthy. What are roller coasters for?

I was ever so glad when I moved to Cleburne and discovered that Halloween was alive and well. I guess the cults had either taken over there or hadn't gotten that far yet.

Lammie":h9j8pgiu said:
Don't get me started on Halloween. When I lived in Arlington it became not PC to celebrate it. Mega churches were calling it "satan's birthday". People would keep their kids home, there were rumors about cults kidnapping blonde haired, blue eyed children to use as sacrifice. Funny, I had one of those and he always got overlooked by the cultists. It was totally out of hand. We couldn't even carve pumpkins. We weren't supposed to "scare" the children. No witches, no ghosts, no vampires. I would have had no costumes at all as a child. I was the devil one year. It was one of those College Hill costumes that came in a box. I never wanted to be a princess.

I always thought that a good scare was healthy. What are roller coasters for?

I was ever so glad when I moved to Cleburne and discovered that Halloween was alive and well. I guess the cults had either taken over there or hadn't gotten that far yet.

Halloween is a tradition, as most Holidays are. I think if a religion group feels that way fine, but no reason to ruin it for everyone, just turn off the light at the house, or don't answer the door.
GMN

Latest posts