Airweight

Help Support CattleToday:

dun

Reaction score
Got a S&W Centennial Airwiehgt today. Even with mid-rabge 39 loads that sucker is awfully snappy. I can only guess what it would be like with +P loads

BeefmasterB":3ezh6g0o said:
Looks like an excellent DA choice for concealed carry!!! What's the trigger pull like?

Not sure of the actual trigger weight. It's a bit heavier then my worked over Security-Six. Problem is that loaded it only weighs about a pound instead of the 3 plus pounds the S-S is. It will be tuned up pretty soon. Best I could do at 7 yards was around a 6 inch pattern for 30 rounds. I think it will fit nicely on my CCL. Also has a set of Crimson Trace grips on it. Man have lasers come a long way. Even outside you can see the spot at 50 feet.
But it's fun, maybe not as much fun as a Moison at 400 yards, but fun none the less.

Hey Dun, what are the 39 loads, was that a typo.? I have noticed on most of those the trigger is real scratchy and rough compared to the fully steel framed guns, we have had to tune a lot of those up to make them very usable. I see a lot of those guns because I am a instructor for the concealed carry class that everyone needs to take here in Michigan inorder to get the CPL. I am carrying a steel gun now because I like to shoot a lot and the sckanium gun S&W was just too light and hurt my hand, especially shooting .357s. So I carry the Ruger SP 101 for going to town and the GP 100, 4 inch barrel for around the farm and a good gun in my pick-up and tractors.

hayray":qlfwvtg1 said:
Hey Dun, what are the 39 loads, was that a typo.?

Yup it was. Should have been 59 based on how snappy that thing is. As light as the Air weight is I can only imagine what the lighter ones would be like. 3 ounces doesn;t sound like much but when you start that light and go even lighter, well................ My usual carry is a 4 inch Security-Six in stnls and that thing gets heavy after about 5 minutes. I was surprosed at how smooth the trigger is on the 642, especially since it's NIB. I have a set of Wulf ribbed hammer springs sitting aorund from the old gun shop days and I figured to put one in just to lighten it a bit. In some ways the CT site is a problem. As you squeeze you can see how far it's pulling off from the trigger weight, never notice it with open sights. Of course I can't see open sights so just point shoot anyway. But I've been shooting the old S-S for so long I'm comfortable with point shooting it. I've got a couple K rounds of full wadcutters in a cabiunet, may just run those through it to get more comfortable.
You have to have a training class in MO for a CCL too. Not a big deal, some class work then a bunch of range work with both autos and wheel guns.

Are training class is no big deal either. I teach the NRA basics to personal protection class. We did not need the course years ago but then the law changed to shall issue and that was one of the compromises. Most of our shooting on the range in the class is just point shooting at close range and a lot of rapid fire. I teach it at my farm outdoors so I can do a lot of shooting scenarios that are a lot more fun then what is offered at the indoor ranges around here.

dun":1yzdrm35 said:
BeefmasterB":1yzdrm35 said:
Looks like an excellent DA choice for concealed carry!!! What's the trigger pull like?

Not sure of the actual trigger weight. It's a bit heavier then my worked over Security-Six. Problem is that loaded it only weighs about a pound instead of the 3 plus pounds the S-S is. It will be tuned up pretty soon. Best I could do at 7 yards was around a 6 inch pattern for 30 rounds. I think it will fit nicely on my CCL. Also has a set of Crimson Trace grips on it. Man have lasers come a long way. Even outside you can see the spot at 50 feet.
But it's fun, maybe not as much fun as a Moison at 400 yards, but fun none the less.

dun, do ya'll have to list the handguns you are going to be carrying on the CCL? We don't here. We can qualify with whatever we want and carry whatever we want. There was some worry initialy that the state was going to require that the gun you will be carrying gets registered with the state but fortunatley somebody up on the hill in Nashville had enough brains to nix that part of the bill.

HOSS":2f0salau said:
dun":2f0salau said:
BeefmasterB":2f0salau said:

dun, do ya'll have to list the handguns you are going to be carrying on the CCL? We don't here. We can qualify with whatever we want and carry whatever we want. There was some worry initialy that the state was going to require that the gun you will be carrying gets registered with the state but fortunatley somebody up on the hill in Nashville had enough brains to nix that part of the bill.
Not in MO but yes in CA

We don't have to here either. Our permit is for whatever pistol or any number of pistols you have. One of my buddies has a short barreled .223 that is sold as a pistol and he carries that in his pick-up with a 30 round magazine, would be a good gun if he brakes down in Detroit.

hayray":3rvab7ow said:
We don't have to here either. Our permit is for whatever pistol or any number of pistols you have. One of my buddies has a short barreled .223 that is sold as a pistol and he carries that in his pick-up with a 30 round magazine, would be a good gun if he brakes down in Detroit.

He might need an extra magazine though. :nod:

At the local gun show this weekend one guy a a big barrel of "Post Obama Magazines", that's what the sign said. They were all 30 rounds for various guns.

Well that is the big talk around here also is that when will the new assult weapons ban bill be introduced. Remember back in the 90s how expensive those extended mags. were selling for? I had bought a Kimer .45 ACP back then and the extended 14 round mags were $120 a piece back then and to top it off that was not a very good gun, jammed all the time. Anyone else noticed this? When someone tells me they are bringing a Kimber to my gun class I always ask them if they have anything else as a back up. Most of the time I am right, very few Kimbers seem to cycle ammo consistently.

dun":33qhvdau said:
Got a S&W Centennial Airwiehgt today. Even with mid-rabge 39 loads that sucker is awfully snappy. I can only guess what it would be like with +P loads
dun, do you like it better than any of your other pistols so far? Also, do you mind saying what you paid for the whole thing?

Limomike":3tghs9c8 said:
dun":3tghs9c8 said:
dun, do you like it better than any of your other pistols so far? Also, do you mind saying what you paid for the whole thing?

Can;t say I like it any better, it's just different and handy for carrying. I lugged the Security-Six around for so many years that my leg is shorter on one side from all the weight.

dun":2pw5o7iu said:
BeefmasterB":2pw5o7iu said:

Congrats Dunn. Now I have never ruled out a handgun being a great fun toy.I'm forever changing what I carry and have a ball plunking at close range. Got to stay good with one you know. It's awfull unhandy to shoot a rattlesnake with a long gun that's scoped. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Cal

Latest posts