Airplane Tires

Help Support CattleToday:

Calman

Reaction score
Got my airplane tires and wheels in that I ordered and mounted them on the front of the old JD 4640.
Guess I'm going to have to do my plowing a little slower now.
They are 28ply but the speed recommended is 235 mph. :frowns:

Cal

LOL... What made you use airplane tires? There is a aircraft tire manufacturer about 40 miles from me here where did your tires come from?

skyhightree1":1atlc7hx said:
LOL... What made you use airplane tires? There is a aircraft tire manufacturer about 40 miles from me here where did your tires come from?

Don't remember the name of the company but they are located at Houston or near.
We have their tires on most of our equipment. They are heavier duty and will last longer.
2 tires and wheels already mounted plus shipping $350.

Cal

That is the tires I put on my Kubota and have not had a flat in five years.

I can see where aircraft tires should hold up great and last much longer than regular tires on a loader tractor.

Curious, how do aircraft tires ride in a rough field? Are they all like implement tires, or are they available with tri/quad rib tread caps for better turning?

Do you know ballpark price for sizes like 10:00x16, 11:00x16? I assume your 4640 had 14Lx16.1 or similar.

John SD":fffch717 said:
I can see where aircraft tires should hold up great and last much longer than regular tires on a loader tractor.

Curious, how do aircraft tires ride in a rough field? Are they all like implement tires, or are they available with tri/quad rib tread caps for better turning?

Do you know ballpark price for sizes like 10:00x16, 11:00x16? I assume your 4640 had 14Lx16.1 or similar.
My tires were drivers and came with the aircraft tire on a heavy duty wheel filled with some chemical. I cant find the address where I bought them, but Backhoe told me about them. I ordered by telephone and paid with my credit card, they were here at my front door two days later. Yes you can order them with re-capped farm tread. I will look for their address and post it, maybe Backhoe will chime in.

John SD":d895qrub said:

John I really cant tell any difference in the ride.We have them on our chisel and disk.
The name of the company is Gensco aircraft tires. Phone #800-828-3350
We always order wheel and tire mounted. Some tire places frown on mounting a 28 ply tire.

Cal

Calman":3k8jvvko said:
John SD":3k8jvvko said:

John I really cant tell any difference in the ride.We have them on our chisel and disk.
The name of the company is Gensco aircraft tires. Phone #800-828-3350
We always order wheel and tire mounted. Some tire places frown on mounting a 28 ply tire.

Cal
That's the place www.noflat.com

Several years ago I used a silage wagon that had aircraft tires on it. I noticed them because they had an extra 'flare' on the sidewall that stuck out an inch or so but wouldn't hit the ground unless you were on real soft ground. I thought they seemed like perfect wagon tires and I did notice the 200+ mph rating.

ohiosteve":33gun3th said:
Several years ago I used a silage wagon that had aircraft tires on it. I noticed them because they had an extra 'flare' on the sidewall that stuck out an inch or so but wouldn't hit the ground unless you were on real soft ground. I thought they seemed like perfect wagon tires and I did notice the 200+ mph rating.

I just don't think I'm going to be able to get the old 4640 up fast enough to do the tires justice :lol:
All kidding aside they do last and seem to work good down here in the mesquite.

Cal

I could have used that tire weekend before last when I had a flat. I don't think they would do me much justice here other than reduced flat rate but inner tubes arent that high and you can patch them so I guess I will stick to what I have lol If I had a tractor that went through rough stuff I would like a pair. However I would love to have some rear tires that were made from the air craft tires but I don't know if they do that and if you could load the tires.

Kingfisher":1ol82j75 said:
Yea and when you do get a flat your going to need an FFA approved flat tire repair kit that cost $1200 bucks....;)

I'm guessing that by the time you have a flat with them it's probably time to replace them any way, that is unless you operate them at the recommended speed located on the tires. :lol2:

Fly-guy":1xuej3ho said:
Kingfisher":1xuej3ho said:
Yea and when you do get a flat your going to need an FFA approved flat tire repair kit that cost $1200 bucks....;)

I'm guessing that by the time you have a flat with them it's probably time to replace them any way, that is unless you operate them at the recommended speed located on the tires. :lol2:

:lol:

I can see where the aircraft tires would really be helpful in hayfields that do a lot of stubble damage to tires. The cords between ribs on my Firestone 14L-16.1 13 yr old baler tires are fraying everywhere. So far, Slime is holding in one tire.

Had a flat Firestone 8 ply quad rib 11:00-16 on the rake tractor last week. Don't know how old tire is, it was on the tractor when I bought it 12 yrs ago.

Always outside, naturally the tire is showing its age. Took it to the co-op. Couldn't find anything in the tire but could see hole easily from outside right in center between ribs. It had an old tube that was showing it's age.

They booted the tire, and put in a new tube @ just under $40. Maybe I'll get another 10 yrs now. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Latest posts