air impacts

Help Support CattleToday:

jltrent":yrsmwepf said:
I have had several and for the money these are hard to beat. Read the reviews.

http://www.harborfreight.com/air-tools/ ... 68424.html

image_11115.jpg

Thanks, that's looks like a winner to me.

dun":38xj9gbr said:
I had a hitachi electric. Thing beats itself apart within a dozen nuts. Screws popping out, brush holders coming apart and flying across the shop.

:lol: don't that just ruin your day. That's about the same experience I had with a hitachi surface planer

Snap on and Matco are both great.
So are the cordless. If you have no impact at all then your not doing the kind of everyday stuff we are so a cordless will do you great.
I have a snap on cordless but after a lot of research I'm going to Milwaukee fuel 18v on everything from now on.

Didn't see your other post about you having cordless ones.
My cordless snap on will take off all four wheels on a 3/4 ton and put them all back on with the same battery and my snap on air wil not tighten them any more when I test them.

Alan":3i7libva said:
hwillso":3i7libva said:
Take a look at the Milwaukee M18fuel cordless impact. 1100 ft-lbs break away and 700 ft-lbs tightening. Very handy on a farm.

Wow, I'm I out of my league here. What in world type of farm equipment do you need 700 ft lbs tightening of lugs for?

You can't/shouldn't own a farm without an impact wrench!

I used my earthquake to break a tank bung loose from 4" screw in adapter yesterday that was severely rusted . I put my big stilson wrench in the vise and got the plug fouled and took the impact to and it didn't spin off easy but it hammered away until it broke it loose.

If you do a lot of maintenance on your own I'd suggest buying a quality impact. IR would probably be the best bang without breaking the bank. I mechanic for a living and have had quite a few impacts throughout the years. Snap on and Mac along with Matco do make quality impacts but the hardest hitting 3/4 I have ever had is a Blue Point branded gun made by IR. I've had it rebuilt twice now. The biggest thing people don't seem to take into account their air source. Even the best impact is basically a paperweight without a good compressor properly adjusted.

Carpenter2n":2p1t0oy0 said:
jltrent":2p1t0oy0 said:
I have had several and for the money these are hard to beat. Read the reviews.

http://www.harborfreight.com/air-tools/ ... 68424.html

image_11115.jpg

Thanks, that's looks like a winner to me.

It's not gonna do anything an m18 fuel can't do so why not go with the more versatile?

Or pretty much any of the new 18v cordless impacts. They will all break loose lug nuts no problem.

tom4018":3hiu7h8c said:
JMJ Farms":3hiu7h8c said:
Are the battery powered impacts as strong as the pneumatic guns? From the previous posts I'm guessing they are. Definitely be more convenient in a mobile situation if they are comparable.
I have one of the Milwaukee M18fuel cordless impacts and it out does a Snap air gun I have.
I will agree with that somewhat
Had a snap on cordless and the IR guns at tire shop wouldn't take off what we put on with the cordless
Now it isn't as strong as the snap on air we used but it was plenty good
I have a Milwaukee Fuel now also it doesn't have as much tor hue as the snap on but it is close

IMO buy either a Milwaukee or Snap on

saltbranch":10poyw7n said:
ez14":10poyw7n said:
JMJ Farms":10poyw7n said:
Are the battery powered impacts as strong as the pneumatic guns? From the previous posts I'm guessing they are. Definitely be more convenient in a mobile situation if they are comparable.
The ones i've used dont seem to be as strong but still a GREAT TOOL very convenient for out in the field repairs
Depends on the brand of air impact and the available air pressure and storage capacity

^^^^^
this..air/electric...you still need to finish with torque wrench on tightening down. My personal experience is that air is stronger than battery/electric in a shop setting.

My 18v Milwaukee Fuel 1/2" impact packs as much punch as any 1/2" air gun I've ever used and is a whole lot handier. Only air gun I pull out anymore is a 1" for the big stuff.

I find the cost of running the cordless tools is VERY high once you figure in the batteries, etc which don't last all that long..
There's no doubt they are handy, My friend who's an HD mechanic has a full lineup of them for working on logging trucks.. Truth of it is for any stuck bolt he has to get the air guns out.. For reassembly, the cordless guns will do

I got a dewalt 18 volt 3/8 inch yesterday. With the air gun Iknow how much to apply to not spin off bolts. Took a couple of tries with the dewalt to learn. I had no idea that thing would be that strong

This is my go-to impact these days. 500ft lbs (actually tested higher by Real Tool Reviews) and smaller than my hand.

ACA-1055TH.jpg

The orange Earthquake impacts are a copy of an IR Thundergun. They have a new line of Earthquake impacts too. Not bad for the cost, but Aircat is close to the same price and has a much better warranty.

http://www.harborfreight.com/12-in-comp ... 62891.html