Air Castles

Help Support CattleToday:

Caustic Burno

Reaction score
Air castles all cost the same so I figured I would build a big one.
Sitting around cooped up as it is raining again today .
I have thought about what I consider the perfect cow for my area just haven't decided what to call it.
If I had enough land and resources to run three herds I would purchase two herds of about 25 cows the best polled Herefords I could find then I place the best Red Brangus bulls I could buy on them.
I would then take the best F-1's from both herds and keep rebreeding until I got the best cow for me.

well if i could breed the prefect cow.it would be a cow that would breed back quick.an raise a heavy calf calf come weaning time.an she would never miss having a calf.an never have calving problems.

I would stick with an old south Texas favorite, good Brahma bull on good hereford cows,then cross em to Charolais.....................good luck

My Brangus/Hereford cross calves weigh the most at weaning and always bring the most nickels no matter the market. That combination here produces the best calf year after year.

CB, Your post kind of goes from one extreme to the other does it not ? :lol:

For me, and this climate, it all comes down to a matter of, "If it aint broke you don't need to fix it." A proven method employed by the old timers is sure thing. It is much easier for me to bet on a sure thing. Profit margins are shrinking.

There seems to be opportunity out there right now for seed stock producers. There are not many eared cattle coming through the sale barns right now. If a good one does come through, they bring a premium. You'd take a little hit on the steers because of the ear, but they will weigh significantly more. You jget a huge bonus of the heifers with ear.

The problem for me is, if I had those type of cows, I'd be holding on to them versus converting them to cash.

backhoeboogie":ygk7kae5 said:
CB, Your post kind of goes from one extreme to the other does it not ? :lol:

For me, and this climate, it all comes down to a matter of, "If it aint broke you don't need to fix it." A proven method employed by the old timers is sure thing. It is much easier for me to bet on a sure thing. Profit margins are shrinking.

There seems to be opportunity out there right now for seed stock producers. There are not many eared cattle coming through the sale barns right now. If a good one does come through, they bring a premium. You'd take a little hit on the steers because of the ear, but they will weigh significantly more. You jget a huge bonus of the heifers with ear.

The problem for me is, if I had those type of cows, I'd be holding on to them versus converting them to cash.

The point I was getting at for this area a Red Brangus crossed with a Hereford is about as close as you can get to the optimum cow. You get the growth of a three way cross = 23% more weaning pounds plus the advantages of a red cow. If you could get that in a breed would be the Southern cattlemans dream, but we all know you would loose the hybred vigor after 7 generations of breeding true.
I don't want any black cows they limit the options you have.

Caustic Burno":24gqg1qm said:
I don't want any black cows they limit the options you have.

My brangus are black. Don't see many reds in these parts. Not at the sale barns I hang out at anyway. Occasionally they'll have a bunch of brah/char crosses come through at Dublin. They are mostly cream colored. Good cows.

My next bull will be Red Brangus. Those are some kick butt cross heifers to sell and they sell super good here.
You take a homo black bull and you get black calves, you take a Char and get high yellows, You take a Gert/Beefmaster/Hereford/Red Angus/ you get red, come back with a Brammer and get tigers.

I want a pure bred brahman, tender, well marbled, feed efficient, fast growing, early maturing, genetically docile, structurally correct, deep bodied, and thick. Then I want to sell my bulls to all you guys for a spectacular profit. ;-)

novatech":28g9yacz said:
I want a pure bred brahman, tender, well marbled, feed efficient, fast growing, early maturing, genetically docile, structurally correct, deep bodied, and thick. Then I want to sell my bulls to all you guys for a spectacular profit. ;-)

Me too, but if you ain't in it now you will have to cut off your right arm to get some. :(

Could be way off... but does any one else think the "black" is going to settle down here pretty soon? Personally I don't even want to mess with Angus now because is seems so dilluted down. Hard to find the good through all the junk... I think others are starting to feel the same. :?

I think Caustic may be on to some thing that may be the next big craze... some Brahma X ??? (not black). Beefmaster type breeding but not necessary that mix. ;-) Just a thought...

Brute, your last post got me to wondering: since you're from south Texas, have you had a chance to study any of the Santa Cruz cattle that were developed by the King Ranch? If yes, what are your thoughts? Do many ranchers down there use them or are they just, in effect, a King Ranch proprietary breed? (50% Gert, 25% Gelbvieh, 25% Red Angus)

I'd put a Char on these Red Lims and make Yellow calves. I'd also put a Char on those Black Lims as well and make some Smokies. I would breed the best of Red colored Lims to good bulls to retain the heifers to maintain the effort. I would get rid of the Blacks over time.

Wewild":2ngrr26b said:
I'd put a Char on these Red Lims and make Yellow calves. I'd also put a Char on those Black Lims as well and make some Smokies. I would breed the best of Red colored Lims to good bulls to retain the heifers to maintain the effort. I would get rid of the Blacks over time.

Good choices on the red. The problem with the black cow is your stuck with black. With the red cow you can go after whatever is the most marketable cow by just changing the bull.

Caustic Burno":3hb17ufq said:
Wewild":3hb17ufq said:

Good choices on the red. The problem with the black cow is your stuck with black. With the red cow you can go after whatever is the most marketable cow by just changing the bull.

We have a couple of black cows for the same reason range maggot herders have black ones.

I'd love to have 20 big tall young tigerstripe cows,would most likely keep the charolais bull.At least one time. Other than that, I'm right where I want to be.Charolais bull over Beefmaster cows.

in my air castle i would have:

a herd of beefmasters (purebreds)
a herd of commercial beefmasters with angus, hereford, or charolais or maybe simmental bulls depending on how i felt that year
a herd of brahmans (some reds and grays) with a brahman bull
a herd of brahmans with a hereford bull and angus bull
a herd of tigerstripes with a brangus bull
a herd of brangus f-1s with a hereford bull
and a herd of zebras just because. (maybe a giraffe or two)

oscar p":2dw6fq81 said:
I'd love to have 20 big tall young tigerstripe cows,would most likely keep the charolais bull.At least one time. Other than that, I'm right where I want to be.Charolais bull over Beefmaster cows.

Do you have any pictures of your calves from that pairing? I'd sure like to see how they look. Do you get a light brown or blond color out of that?

Arnold Ziffle":1pzivuq6 said:
Brute, your last post got me to wondering: since you're from south Texas, have you had a chance to study any of the Santa Cruz cattle that were developed by the King Ranch? If yes, what are your thoughts? Do many ranchers down there use them or are they just, in effect, a King Ranch proprietary breed? (50% Gert, 25% Gelbvieh, 25% Red Angus)

No. I do not see many at all but I am not a good representative for all of STX. Just the area that I am familar with. :) You see alot more of what the KR stole... :lol:

Beefmaster is actually still very popular although you don't hear that much with all the Brangus hype. ;-)

Latest posts