Ain't Supposed to Happen

Help Support CattleToday:

slick4591

Reaction score
This is a first for me. Friend just posted these to her FB page. Her best friend had two horses in the trailer when it happened and luckily the chains held. No damage other than what you see.

I have had that vision go through my head a thousand times. I buy the highest grade hitch ball mounts I can find. There are cheap ones and expensive ones.

That sure could have ended badly. The way that hitch is milled down to recess the ball must have made the hitch a little to thin. Seems like a design flaw. I'm glad no one got hurt.

ohiosteve":28yjzd45 said:
The way that hitch is milled down to recess the ball must have made the hitch a little to thin. Seems like a design flaw.

I agree. Never seen one milled down like that. Is this common practice?

Kudos for her being a very astute driver and able to handle it quickly and in a positive way. That could have been a real disaster. Never seen it before either. My biggest fear has always been the pin that goes through it under the truck through the receiver and all coming out.

I have the one piece solid ones. I think the are cast about 60 bucks each. Those ones scare me anything more than a lawn mower.

BobbyLummus1":xv1bouwo said:
looks like the new style 3" receiver with two sleeves backed down twice to a 2"

Yes, that's what the sleeves are for. I suppose the question is was the hitch rated for the load?

JMJ Farms":3924hy9q said:
ohiosteve":3924hy9q said:
The way that hitch is milled down to recess the ball must have made the hitch a little to thin. Seems like a design flaw.

Reese makes them to accommodate a ball that they also sell which has a corresponding hex shape at the base, eliminating the need to have a pipe wrench or vise to hold the ball while tightening.

Five bucks says it's stamped China.

cfpinz":18hbvv1l said:
JMJ Farms":18hbvv1l said:
ohiosteve":18hbvv1l said:

Reese makes them to accommodate a ball that they also sell which has a corresponding hex shape at the base, eliminating the need to have a pipe wrench or vise to hold the ball while tightening.

Five bucks says it's stamped China.
Definitely junk, you need your head examined for buying such junk.

littletom":2ee85m47 said:
My guess tongue weight got it. I think those regular duty ones are 5000#

Neighbor has a similar trailer has horrible tongue weight with loads to go the sale barn. Poor design on trailer and receiver hitch looks like.

That's scary. She should definitely call the manufacturer and at least let them know what happened so they can look into the design flaw (if there is one). They are making them with the hex cast into them now so you only need one wrench to tighten the ball.

Latest posts