Ain't it crazy

Help Support CattleToday:

Craig Miller

Reaction score
The amount of lumber used on even the smallest projects? I built a rabbit house yesterday for 2 rabbits. "Luckily" the roof on my back porch was rotten because it had been built flat by previous owners. I was able to salvage enough wood for the project.

Craig Miller":158pn39f said:
The amount of lumber used on even the smallest projects? I built a rabbit house yesterday for 2 rabbits. "Luckily" the roof on my back porch was rotten because it had been built flat by previous owners. I was able to salvage enough wood for the project.
I'm always distressed by the size of the mess of scraps and tools strewn out when I get finished with any project that involves wood. An the maze of extension cords and air hoses..........how can they get SO tangled up?

My Great Grandfather built many of these. No formal education, self taught and from the old timers I talked to, he utilized lumber very efficiently and had very little waste at the end of construction. He had a use in mind for the waste with every saw cut.Round bottom displacement hulls with constant changing lines and no 2 frames the same. My father worked in his shipyard as a kid and can stretch material to the max too. I can't build a square box without a pile of sawdust and scrap. Makes me ashamed. It's a lost art.

I've built a sprinkling of houses in my life. The amount of material that goes to the burn pile is shocking.

greybeard":15melmct said:
Craig Miller":15melmct said:
I'm always distressed by the size of the mess of scraps and tools strewn out when I get finished with any project that involves wood. An the maze of extension cords and air hoses..........how can they get SO tangled up?
That is bad too. Something I didn't learn until I was older but I try to teach my kids is the job is not done until every tool is out back in its place. It seems to be the hardest part of every job.

Bigfoot":3ayfht8z said:
I've built a sprinkling of houses in my life. The amount of material that goes to the burn pile is shocking.
a lot of the excess material goes home with the contractor, man in front of me built a nice garage with a overhead apartment with it..

My aunt and uncle had a house built by a large contractor. They threw away enough to fill up one of those big construction haul off dumpsters. My uncle dug out all the good he could get and stored it.

zirlottkim":al2kqhqp said:

My Great Grandfather built many of these. No formal education, self taught and from the old timers I talked to, he utilized lumber very efficiently and had very little waste at the end of construction. He had a use in mind for the waste with every saw cut.Round bottom displacement hulls with constant changing lines and no 2 frames the same. My father worked in his shipyard as a kid and can stretch material to the max too. I can't build a square box without a pile of sawdust and scrap. Makes me ashamed. It's a lost art.

Beautifull boats zirlot, that deck is magnificent. A friends BIL has bought a lovely old planked trawler and has it home refitting it so it is up on the dry and of course the planks have shrunk, his solution is he is going to fibreglass over it when finished, sacrelige if reckon.

Ken

Craig Miller":2kj7iha5 said:

With a building project you get the construction materials bought and think you have the costs covered and then go and buy the fastenings and get a rude awakening.

Ken

wbvs58":39huax29 said:
Craig Miller":39huax29 said:

With a building project you get the construction materials bought and think you have the costs covered and then go and buy the fastenings and get a rude awakening.

Ken
Ain't that the truth. I used the screws I pulled of from the roof. I was thinking I would have had $30 invested in screws alone if I hadn't done that.

wbvs58":13kg1aez said:
zirlottkim":13kg1aez said:

Beautifull boats zirlot, that deck is magnificent. A friends BIL has bought a lovely old planked trawler and has it home refitting it so it is up on the dry and of course the planks have shrunk, his solution is he is going to fibreglass over it when finished, sacrelige if reckon.

Ken
The planking should swell back but may take a while. Ild like to see a picture of it.

Latest posts