Ain't I the lucky one....

Help Support CattleToday:

Jogeephus

Reaction score
..... cause I figured out my weather liar's handicapp this morning. :banana: The WL, forecasted 0% chance of rain so I cut my last cutting and I got 3/10's of an inch on it in the middle of the night. Now I know how to figure things in the future.

...... AND I also figured out what was harder. My head, my shoulder or a 10 inch water oak. I'm going to keep this one to myself but I suspect a few of ya'll may already know the answer to this one. ;-) :lol2:

Hope you didn't hurt the oak to bad. :p

Yep, it wasn't supposed to rain yesterday. Caught about half a tenth. Wasn't supposed to rain today. We were in a narrow corridor that didn't get any but it did rain with in a few miles on two sides of us this morning. Not supposed to rain tomorrow either but Thursday...it is supposed to so I think I'll try to plant some oats and winter peas instead of trying to cut some hay.

farmwriter":3pozfg9a said:
Aw, Jo. Sorry you had a rough day. Maybe tomorrow will be good enough to make up for it!
Just hope tomorrow doesn't make today look good. :p They run in threes you know.

1982vett":nvq3b1x1 said:
farmwriter":nvq3b1x1 said:
Aw, Jo. Sorry you had a rough day. Maybe tomorrow will be good enough to make up for it!
Just hope tomorrow doesn't make today look good. :p They run in threes you know.

3's ?????? I would be thankful for 3's; so for I am on an 11 or 12 bad luck in a row run.. :help:

I am guessing that your head is harder Jo as your posts are still legible.. :lol:

Here is to tomorrow.. :tiphat:

I haven't a clue where it came from but man did it come down. We were supposed to have ZERO percent all week but I see tonight they are changing their minds some.

Jogeephus":3f1594en said:
I haven't a clue where it came from but man did it come down. We were supposed to have ZERO percent all week but I see tonight they are changing their minds some.

I'm not that far from you, and our chances are anywhere from 20 - 50 % this week, depending on which liar you listen to. I still haven't laid mine down yet, but will within the next couple of weeks.

I do however, have a neighbor that has had some laid down for right at 3 weeks now. I don't want to be in the same boat that he's in.

Here's what drives me nuts about the weather forcasters. The forcast can do a complete about face in a 12 hour period, yet on the three websites I check they have 5, 7, and 10 day forcasts. What is the point of forcasting ( guessing ) ten days out when a 12 hour forcast is a crapshoot?

I bet there is no possible way to get fired from that job. None, nada, ain't gonna happen. " Sorry boss, you can't fire me because I slept with your wife. I forcasted only a ten percent chance you'd come home for lunch today and catch us. "

Train":1zapxwbt said:
Here's what drives me nuts about the weather forcasters. The forcast can do a complete about face in a 12 hour period, yet on the three websites I check they have 5, 7, and 10 day forcasts. What is the point of forcasting ( guessing ) ten days out when a 12 hour forcast is a crapshoot?
I bet there is no possible way to get fired from that job. None, nada, ain't gonna happen. " Sorry boss, you can't fire me because I slept with your wife. I forcasted only a ten percent chance you'd come home for lunch today and catch us. "
in for a penny in for a pound, :p who knows they may hit it it right a day or two in between :cowboy:

It is amazing professional meteorologists cannot predict a forecast one day in advance, but scientists can predict gloabal warning 100 years in advance. :???: :???: :???:

Not only that, but the cap and trade is coming down the pipe pretty soon. Just imagine if you had to pay a tax based upon haying weather patterns.

alacattleman":34691r46 said:
Train":34691r46 said:
in for a penny in for a pound, :p who knows they may hit it it right a day or two in between :cowboy:

A broke clock is right twice a day too.........

Ok, I did it. .........full speed ahead. Finished planting 30 acres if oats this morning and I just got in from cutting 13 acres of Alicia half an hour ago. ;-) If they move that rain cloud back another day tomorrow, I just might cut some more.

I just finished baling all I'm going to bale this year. I'm hoping that the elves will move it tonight. :nod:

Jogeephus":3m9jyiyh said:
I just finished baling all I'm going to bale this year. I'm hoping that the elves will move it tonight. :nod:
I know the feeling. Back in 2007 baling hay almost got tiresome. Glad we made the effort. I still have the 107 bales we made in 2008 and 65 of the 78 we made this year. This cut should make about 25 or 30 to get to around 200 rolls. Have another 50 acres of stuff I can cut if the weather permits. Ole gals just might have to eat it off the stalk. I've got 40 acres of oats planted and enough seed for 30 more. :???: I'm beginning to think someone made a mistake when ordering seed. I don't have as many cows as I had last year. Oh well, I'll use it somewhere and be glad I did. :nod:

Oh, hope the elves get to it before the gremlins.

1982vett":9z8ghbfj said:
Jogeephus":9z8ghbfj said:
I know the feeling. Back in 2007 baling hay almost got tiresome. Glad we made the effort. I still have the 107 bales we made in 2008 and 65 of the 78 we made this year. This cut should make about 25 or 30 to get to around 200 rolls. Have another 50 acres of stuff I can cut if the weather permits. Ole gals just might have to eat it off the stalk. I've got 40 acres of oats planted and enough seed for 30 more. :???: I'm beginning to think someone made a mistake when ordering seed. I don't have as many cows as I had last year. Oh well, I'll use it somewhere and be glad I did. :nod:

Oh, hope the elves get to it before the gremlins.

When I was baling i thought about your drought situation and how much stress I was under the last couple of years with our drought. Didn't really realize how much stress was on me till yesterday when I considered how lucky I was with the weather this year. Its a shame I am not within a reasonable hauling distance of you cause I'd be happy to give you a field of hay. Good stuff too. Maybe we will continue to get normal rainfall and this cow business will again be fun. Hope you experience the same.

Jogeephus":3cfca2u0 said:
When I was baling i thought about your drought situation and how much stress I was under the last couple of years with our drought. Didn't really realize how much stress was on me till yesterday when I considered how lucky I was with the weather this year. Its a shame I am not within a reasonable hauling distance of you cause I'd be happy to give you a field of hay. Good stuff too. Maybe we will continue to get normal rainfall and this cow business will again be fun. Hope you experience the same.

You are to generous Jogee. The drought situation has hurt a lot of people and have them scrambling looking for hay. Not a lot of local hay is for sale. A lot of them are fighting armyworms now to keep the grass they do have. Reducing my numbers looks to have made a big difference. I did have to supplement pastures with hay in June and part of July but I haven't had to since. The millet and haygrazer I tried to grow this year, any other time I'd call them failures, did make enough to graze occasionally to take pressure off the pastures. Even now, the millet being waist high (not 8 foot high like AC's was) is going to fill in where I would normally have to feed hay. It is going to let me rest the pasture for a week or two maybe more. So I'm really not in to bad of shape right now.

Just found out what a "cloudy" forecast means now too. Yep, stop the cotton pickers and hay balers. :lol: Just had a light shower run thru. Since I went to bed and getting up, they changed today to "isolated thunderstorms" and Saturday from partly cloudy to "scattered thunderstorms". Might not get the hay in dry but maybe the oats won't come up and blow away either.

No the drought hasn't been fun. We just thought the dry spells from 1996 - 2006 were bad. If the long range "el nino" forecast is correct maybe we are in the clear now (for a few months :roll: ). I don't know, the pattern I've noticed is roughly four-five weeks of some moisture and four - six weeks dry. We are about 4 weeks into the current wet cycle. We had 9.6 inches in September, total for the year is now 23.3 inches. Right now it is hard to see evidence of a drought (here). One thing for sure, with the economics of cattle the way they are now, I'm more apt to waste a lot of grass from here on out and not see that as a lost opportunity. I've just about seen all the short pasture I want to see.

i am only a few miles west and it hasnt rained here in 50 days. crops are parched., "grass" is brown, and i'm picking out half of the herd to sell and every tree that is older than 30 years is shaking in its roots. started out to be a great year. the last month and a half and the economy is bout to kick this'uns butt. been irrigating til the motor burn out. cant win for losing. at least everybody else will have plenty of hay for me to buy for the few cows i keep. for the love of God could i just win the lottery?

Beefy, don't know where you live but I sometimes go over toward Thomas county and I noticed that area seemed drier than us. It was kinda odd this year that some of our showers came from the Atlantic rather than from peter's puddle. If you find yourself short on hay let me know. Got some really good hay sitting in the field right now that I gotta move this weekend and it would be worth a lot to me not to have to move it.

Latest posts