Aint ever seen nothin like this before!!!

Help Support CattleToday:

I have a begian blue x shorthorn heifer that is blue roan. She is one awsome looking calf . Will be showing her in fat heifers at county fair in july.

MikeC":14llmxuj said:
There is a fairly large Belgian Blue breeder in Selma, Alabama. About 30 miles from me. He claims he has never done a C-section and has only lost a couple of calves. He breeds his first calf heifers to more conventional breeds.

I have a very close neighbor who has Romagnola that are purported to need C-sections regularly. He has never seen a calf born and hasn't lost any either.

But I have a Brangus neighbor who has to pull about 50% of his calves.

Shows that you can get hard calvers in any breed.

Mike C..I think you right on that statement .A lot is likely management related as well.

Btw...We have a neighbor up here that used B.B on some of his Holsteins for a number of yrs.. He still has a few F-1 s kicking around from that time period.

He claims no calving problems either.

We need a touch of this in our herds today, but without over doing it. We are chasing the "Marbling" attributes and overlooking the main ones..............."Tenderness" and "Lean Meat Yield".
Lot's of feed is wasted by not doing so. Our biggest cost.

Mike, marbling is money. I prefer a marbled steak and will pay for the extra feed. So will the high end steakhouses. There is a strong market for select beef also though. Ideally we would like a critter that grades prime with a yield grade 1. best of both worlds.

The classification you stated was for feeder cattle. They don't have a classification for "Inferior" on the meat grading floor because of low marbling. The low would be "Standard", I think.

"No roll" is below standard. technicality could go either way but blues would be at risk for not rolling.

MikeC":24268grv said:
The NM and DM carcasses were not different in maturity (Table 1). However, the NM carcasses had significantly higher marbling scores and quality grades than did DM carcasses. Quality grades for the NM cattle averaged low choice, while the DM carcasses averaged high standard. This again emphasizes the overall reduction in fat content of carcasses from DM cattle.

Standard! Standard is discounted to Choice as much as $28 according to this USDA site. YG 1 premiums aren't going to make up that difference.

http://www.ams.usda.gov/mnreports/lm_ct155.txt

Frankie":39xdxik3 said:
MikeC":39xdxik3 said:
The NM and DM carcasses were not different in maturity (Table 1). However, the NM carcasses had significantly higher marbling scores and quality grades than did DM carcasses. Quality grades for the NM cattle averaged low choice, while the DM carcasses averaged high standard. This again emphasizes the overall reduction in fat content of carcasses from DM cattle.

Standard! Standard is discounted to Choice as much as $28 according to this USDA site. YG 1 premiums aren't going to make up that difference.

http://www.ams.usda.gov/mnreports/lm_ct155.txt

I will concede that Standards are not where we want to be but High Standard ain't that far from Select. When the Choice/Select spread is low like it is now it pays.

The added tenderness of the DM's can play a big part in the way this goes. I don't rule anything out and am not ignorantly set in my ways to believe that we are raising perfect cattle yet.

There is always room for improvement. When we become complacent, we are screwing up. Marbling is not our salvation because of the low correlation between marbling and tenderness.

Consistently Tender will gain us more marketshare than Marbling ever will. Write it down.

MikeC":1n6hd1kz said:
I will concede that Standards are not where we want to be but High Standard ain't that far from Select. When the Choice/Select spread is low like it is now it pays.

It's a great relief to hear you admit that Standards aren't where we want to be, but there are several subgrades within each grade. High Standard is a long way from High Select which is a long way from Prime.

The added tenderness of the DM's can play a big part in the way this goes. I don't rule anything out and am not ignorantly set in my ways to believe that we are raising perfect cattle yet.

I'll agree that we're not raising perfect cattle. But instead of rebuilding the industry, I suggest people look to the genetics of their cattle to fill the demand for higher quality beef.

There is always room for improvement. When we become complacent, we are screwing up. Marbling is not our salvation because of the low correlation between marbling and tenderness.

Sure there's room for improvement. More room in some operations than others.:p There's a high correlation between marbling and premiums paid by packers.

Consistently Tender will gain us more marketshare than Marbling ever will. Write it down.

I don't believe this is true. I prefer marbled beef. I think most people on this board prefer marbled beef. Higher quality beef (marbled) is more likely to be tender than lower quality (less marbling). There are some branded beef programs based on tenderness. All of them together don't sell as much as CAB. Look at the number of branded beef programs at the link below that use high quality beef as opposed to those using lower quality grades.

Here's the link:
http://www.ams.usda.gov/lsg/certprog/certbeef.htm

Mike, I could have the wrong person in mind, but I seem to recall that you had expressed some interest in AI'ing some of your Chars with Wagyu semen. If it was you and you did in fact AI, do you have any calves on the ground yet?

Arnold Ziffle":22tsh7ek said:
Mike, I could have the wrong person in mind, but I seem to recall that you had expressed some interest in AI'ing some of your Chars with Wagyu semen. If it was you and you did in fact AI, do you have any calves on the ground yet?

I was going to do it this year but decided to breed them to Red Angus instead. Got a much better deal on the semen.

Still want to though.

Latest posts